Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
baldwin8

Default Learning the hard way

A rejection earlier today has me wondering if I'm heading the right direction?

I tried to sharpen and adjusted the contrast which it was picked up for and has comeback rejected for blury, which I can see.

But can someone tell me if I'm getting close to getting something accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=977802648
baldwin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned

I would say undersharpened rather than blurry. Obviously this is a streak shot, but looking at the signal and sign, they are not sharp.

As to the blur/streak itself, it's quite possible there is not enough or too much streak/blur, I am certainly no expert on these.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

The letters on the "concorde" sign need to be clear.

You will always get dinged for that.

I am would also bet they will PEQ this too, so perhaps don't spend a lot of time on it.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

It's not a strong composition and would've been much better off at 1/640th of a second.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
It's not a strong composition and would've been much better off at 1/640th of a second.
"Concorde" is synonymous in my mind with ridiculous speed, so I think the attempt at showing motion past this station sign was conceptually a good idea; no need to discourage experiments in different techniques, Steven.

Nevertheless, I agree with your first bit, that the execution wasn't quite there; the AEI scanning hardware is distracting, as is the placement of the sign in nearly the middle of the image. Craig, I'm not familiar with this location and its constraints, but if you can find a composition that pushes the sign a bit off to the side and lets the blurred train dominate the scene, you might have something that will work. Also, take care when examining the background of shots you select; the jumble of poles and signal hardware immediately left of the engine is distracting since it's distinctly different than the foliage textures which form the remainder of both the foreground and background.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
"Concorde" is synonymous in my mind with ridiculous speed, so I think the attempt at showing motion past this station sign was conceptually a good idea; no need to discourage experiments in different techniques, Steven.
Sure, but what he is saying is the train can blue, the rest of the frame cant, including the trees, sign, signal, etc. It's not TOO bad, but it's the first thing I saw and mentioned.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
baldwin8

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I've tried several submissions and sometimes I feel I just don't have an eye for what RP is looking for. I know they are after postcard type shots. At times I feel I go to shoot and just not seeing anything too WOW, and wonder if it is just me or am I missing something.

Above of course is my edited version and this is the untouched but reduced starting point. My idea was to capture the nose of the train in between the two Concorde signs and possibly a bit more blur of the train. My timing was a split off but I thought maybe I could salvage it. I shot it at 1/10 shutter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00514reduce.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	5812

I photographed static military aircraft for many years and traded slides with many compliments on my shooting as well as a few published views. The start into rail shooting has been frustrating as I feel I am missing the mark as to what the screeners and viewers are looking for.
baldwin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
JRMDC

1/10 shutter requires a tripod in most cases (even with an IS lens, it is marginal), which explains the blurred non-moving parts of the image.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote