Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Dan Tracy

Default Photoshop editing

Is it permissable to remove buildings or structures from a image before submitting to this site?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=341839&nseq=1
Note the removal of the church steeple that would be sticking up in the middle of the unit on the one shot where it's clearly in the image on the other.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=312303&nseq=4
The screeners may not know the lay of the land per se but I've noticed this going on quite frequently. Is this practice being policed or not. Thanks for your time. Dan
Dan Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
JRMDC

It is possible, to my eye, that both shots are true. The snow shot looks to be taken inside the wye or the curve visible in the foreground of the other shot. The angle vs. the building is different. Look at what one sees of the face of the building that faces to the left, in the snow show you can't see that face at all, or rather at the tightest of angles, whereas in the other shot you can clearly see it. It is conceivable that the shot from further away is at an angle where the steeple is just hidden behind the building.

Now, surely someone on this forum has been there and can give a firsthand opinion; I am responding only to the shots.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Dan Tracy

Something is goofy here. I'm looking at the placement of the platform lights.
Dan
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
JRMDC

My read of the location using Google Maps Earth is that it is quite possible to tuck the spire behind the building. Never been there, just reading an e-map.

Regarding the upside down U lamp posts, I see their height, appears to vary, might be explained by use of a stepstool, not sure.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
jdirelan87

Calling somebody out cold turkey in the forums, then continuing to argue about it = bad conduct
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Calling somebody out cold turkey in the forums, then continuing to argue about it = bad conduct
I agree. It seems that the tower could have easily been hidden by the station.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
Ween

If these two shots were taken from the exact same spot, then, yeah, I could see throwing the flag for digital manipulation, but it seems totally plausible that Nick's shot is accurate. Dan, have you stood in the same spot where Nick was to verify there's no tom-foolery?

But the main issue is this: why in the world would someone take the time to digitally remove the steeple from the shot but yet leave the much more easily removed telephone pole sticking out of the lead unit's cab?!?!?!? Any thoughts on that, Dan?

Quote:
The screeners may not know the lay of the land per se but I've noticed this going on quite frequently.
I'm curious to see other examples...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
If these two shots were taken from the exact same spot, then, yeah, I could see throwing the flag for digital manipulation, but it seems totally plausible that Nick's shot is accurate. Dan, have you stood in the same spot where Nick was to verify there's no tom-foolery?
You can see by the left side of JUS the shot without the steeple is a lot farther down the track. Think its just time wasted to worry about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Dan Tracy

I'm not calling anybody out on this, I just happened to be looking at shots of 513 by all photographers and this one stood out right away. The original question was "Is digital manipulation allowable here". I've seen where pole shadows have been eliminated and trucks and noses brightened up for example. I can see where a little color correction and sharpening is acceptable but at what point does manipulation cross the line.
As far as Nicks images go: The only issue I'm seeing here is duplication. You go to his oldest shots (His first ones posted here) and note there are two shots of Metra 412 shot on two different days. Note the clouds in these shots. Is this a screener or submitter issue. Also, how many shots of IAIS 513 on the same day need to be posted here. Everyone knows that if you want to post the dupe shot of a particular subject that you wait a few days and submit it. Off my soap box now and I've removed the links to the above. Dan
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
The original question was "Is digital manipulation allowable here". I've seen where pole shadows have been eliminated and trucks and noses brightened up for example. I can see where a little color correction and sharpening is acceptable but at what point does manipulation cross the line.
This has been debated on the forums for a long time, but the admin has never really defined where the line is. All we have to go on is their submission guidelines:
http://www.railpictures.net/addphotos/guidelines.php

"Manipulation:

The purpose of our website is to display genuine, authentic photographs of trains and railroad related scenes. Bearing this in mind, digital manipulation of photographs (beyond standard post-processing techniques such as levelling, sharpening, dust removal, etc.) is not permitted on photographs submitted to RailPictures.Net."

Quote:
I'm not calling anybody out on this
Then your definition of "calling out" is different than mine (and John's and Brad's). You accused Nick of removing the steeple...you called him out, plain and simple. It may not have been your intent (although I'm suspecting you might have something personal against Nick because you called out more of his stuff in your last post), but by publically accusing a photographer of "faking" a shot without investigating off-list, you call his integrity into question. And that's not cool.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
But the main issue is this: why in the world would someone take the time to digitally remove the steeple from the shot but yet leave the much more easily removed telephone pole sticking out of the lead unit's cab?!?!?!?
That was my first question, too. The steeple adds to the shot while the pole, in some eyes, detracts. (Though I've never had that kind of aversion to poles that some do.)
Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
TAMR159

Nevermind that you can actually see the steeple in Nick's shot, poking up from behind the building...look above the right-most window.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Dan Tracy

I apologize to Nick and anyone else for these posts. I was on Meds and took some Nyquil nighttime to fight this sinus/cold that I've been fighting. It wasn't until someone contacted me privately and showed me the errors of my ways. Again Nick I'm sorry to point you out on this. Dan Tracy Never to post on meds again.