Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Haven't hit this streak in a while

I'm pretty shocked actually. I'm not gloating or swelling my chest, but these looks fine on here. Unbiased sets of eyes also say they look fine on their end also. Opinions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=79066101

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=640077347

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1269627623

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1269627623

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=698810824

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=893202&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=893196&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=893192&key=0

Had a great trip, but thought I'd get more than one decent shot out of it. Maybe it's my tired eyes since I've been up for nearly 24 hours?

Ben
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
gp9fl9

Default RE:Haven't hit this streak in a while

I would say the two that were rejected for cropping should make it with a slight adjustment. Overall these shots are very good however; I have been up loading to RP.net for a while and would say that I am not surprised by the rejections. I do not understand the rejections based on cloudy day. I have never seen a snow storm with the sun out. Some of these deserve a second look
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
crazytiger

Ben, I have no clue what the heck you are dealing with. Some of them seemed a little off to me (On the NS 9778 one, I woulda hit it with Composition/Balance), but I was going "What the crap?" on most of those. You might appeal as many as you feel like.

Edit: Would anyone mind figuring out what the approximate acceptance percentage is for the last week or two? I have been having a much harder time getting stuff on it seems.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 01-09-2011 at 04:46 AM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
JRMDC

I will mostly address cropping, not light.

1. foreground obstruction to me with the ugly posts
2. only thing that comes to mind is avoid cutting the tree in half vertically, on the left edge (remember, sometimes bad crop is not an overall thing but rather a nitpick on the edge)
3. that track on the left side just looks awkward, my eye keeps going there. Next time aim more left so it has a better presence, you don't need that space on the right. RP just doesn't like darker snow shots, don't know why. I wonder if people overbrighten them just to get them on.
4. same link as 3
5. cut off the top of the arch?
6. might be that little splotch of white on the left edge, even with the ditch lights
7. split a post in half on the left edge
8. very nice, and yet ugh. The branch upper left, entering and exiting, not anchored on either end. The bid dead area lower right. Not a fan of the cropped open water bottom left. It has a very w-i-d-e feel to it, which I like, it would look great wider than 3:2, just crop off the bottom. Not for RP though.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
Darryl Rule

Agreed on the rejection for cloudy on snow shots. It's pretty rare that is sunny out while it is snowing. However, I have seen plenty of shots on here, so somehow someone gets theirs on. Guess it is all luck of the draw on what screener you get and what kind of day they have had.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
KevinM

I would concur with some of the previous opinions that most of the cropping issues relate to objects that are cut-off around the edges of the photos. I'm not as hard-over as some folks when it comes to cropping trees. They are seldom as neat and clean as man-made objects.

The bad angle on the first one seems clearly due to the man who is partly obscured by a sign post. I think the Screener is wishing you took a step to the right or left there.

As for the "Poor Lighting - Dark" and "Bad Contrast" rejections, I can't help much. The lighting in most of them looks as good as a lot of snow shots that get on....and as far as contrast, RP seems to want a lot more than I think looks realistic. Just my observation as a guy who is still figuring out snow shots.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

A few of the Bad Contrast ones has what appears to be charcoal grey NS engines to me, not black.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
A few of the Bad Contrast ones has what appears to be charcoal grey NS engines to me, not black.
Agreed. I think that might be a good bit of your problem, Ben. I think some levels or just overall contrast adjustments will help make those NS evens stand out more.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
coborn35

1. Why did you choose to shoot with those ugly poles directly in front instead of taking a few steps and getting them out? Those were the first things I noticed.
2. I think the engine may be a hair too close to the tunnel. Also looks a tad overexposed, not poor lighting as they put.
3.Not poor lighting. Looks like maybe a little too much saturation, that headlight looks funky.
4.No idea, just not an overall fan.
5.Contrast.
7. Personally think it would be a better fall shot.

I guess overall NS isn't the best road to shoot in the winter, their pant scheme kills most shots.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
Agreed on the rejection for cloudy on snow shots. It's pretty rare that is sunny out while it is snowing. However, I have seen plenty of shots on here, so somehow someone gets theirs on. Guess it is all luck of the draw on what screener you get and what kind of day they have had.
A snow shot is a snow shot, a cloudy day shot is a cloudy day shot... Its doesn't depend on the screener at all. Pretty standard thing...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I just worked on a snow shot and got it in the database.

Here is the thread on it.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=13302

Snowy days are an exception to the cloudy day common power rule, but you have to adjust the image a lot.

You have to have white snow somewhere.

For example, the accepted picture was boosted by 2.5 exposure stops, and had the colors increased to balance that out. It was a lot more editing than I imagined.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I didn't bother reading what Janusz said up there, so I could form my own opinion.
First thing that hit me as I scrolled through: WHY DID YOU CUT OFF THE TUNNEL ARCH? While I'm on that shot, it looks a bit skewed, though it appears to be level...maybe try some perspective control to get it into shape. That's the kind of thing that annoys the hell out of me, usually because I tried my best to get lines straight, and I assume you did the same.
For the first shot, I think the major problem is foreground clutter. Jamey there has a sign slicing right through him! I like the contrast of the shot, the engines are strikingly black against the landscape, and the cars, while not in the best place in the frame, certainly lend more winter atmosphere to the photo.
For the second one, I don't know why they rejected it for dark, although I think they may have wanted a cropping more like what's attached. I'm not sure I like it, but it gets rid of some boring foreground at any rate. I also gave it a curves adjustment that looked right on my monitor - darker engine, and I brought the whitest whites to 256.
On #3, again I think it's lacking in contrast, and a 4:3 or 5:4 ratio might work better for it. It also looks a bit blurry, but without seeing the original I don't know if that's fixable.
Skipping Mr. Duplicate #4, the next one has an engine that's way too light - Even taking into account how shiny it is. Additionally, unless you have a looser cropped version, chuck it.
On 6 and 7, needs more contrast.
On the last one, I don't think it works that well compositionally. There's just too much dead space that doesn't add anything.
Now to look up and see if Janusz and I agree on anything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benny.jpg (476.0 KB, 126 views)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
35mmguy

For the most part they look great to me, some of the screeners on here need to get out more. I'm not just a railfan photographer, I shoot all kinds of things, but there are some shots I have seen rejected here that look absolutely gorgeous. I would appeal.

I have had shots I uploaded here that were rejected for various reasons while on other photofourms received much praise (some with questions as to how the hell I got in that shooting location)

One thing I have been noticing is a lot of older photos have been accepted which I think is good. With the advent of scanning technology a lot of people are digging out old prints and slides.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Most of these are fixable, most can be fixed with some contrast or adjustments with levels. Some of the brighter ones the details are blown out in the snow.

#1: bad angle? I dont understand that. The bad cropping, lose some on the right, we dont need to see the whole cars...
#2: Crop just to the right of the far left tree crop that whole cut off tree far left out) and take some off on the right and a tad on the bottom. Add some contrast, + the levels some on the right side of the histogram
#3: Crop off that entire track on the left of the frame, some off the top and right. Add some contrast. The "dark" rejection is bogus, it looks overexposed to me actually.
#4: As mentioned, why did you cut off the top of the tunnel? Do you have another frame you can use? Dont get the "dark" rejection here either. It's actually overexposed (no detail in snow)
#5: I dont think the cropping is too bad at all on this one, maybe some off on the left, add contrast.
#6: This one the screeners got 100% right. Some crop it to just around both vertical supports of the signal bridge to fix cropping, fix levels and maybe contrast. It is overexposed, no detail in snow. This part may not be fixable if there is totally blown out.
#7: I dont get the bad angle on this one at all because there are dozens of shots in the DB from this exact same location/angle to the point I would say it is overdone. I also dont get the "dark" rejection on this one too. Its slightly overexposed if anything. No detail in the snow.

I would be curious to know if the same screener did all these, as some of the "dark" ones I just dont get. I would say several of these were overexposed, as your snow has no detail in a lot of instances. And overexposed is the exact opposite of dark usually. Am I the only one who noticed this?

They certainly have flaws but I think for the most part they are all fixable.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-09-2011 at 09:31 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
#7: I dont get the bad angle on this one at all because there are dozens of shots in the DB from this exact same location/angle to the point I would say it is overdone
Using the same elements in the scene, we have:

Good angle:

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 320539
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Bad angle:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=893192&key=0

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-10-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: link not working
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned

Exactly. I dont get that...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #17
asis80

Thanks for the time and effort in replying guys. I really think it was a mistake processing after fighting my way through all that snow, both driving and getting around in it. 3 hour trip to and from, shooting all day....fatigue kinda sets in, haha. After looking at these now, they really do need improvement. I'll get at it slowly, just did another shoot today, but closer to home. Still tired, but not as much as yesterday. Thanks again. Hopefully we'll see a few in the DB.

Ben
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #18
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
After looking at these now, they really do need improvement.
Looks like you need better sets of "unbiased eyes" when shopping your rejects around too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
Unbiased sets of eyes also say they look fine on their end also.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #19
asis80

lol. Maybe my friends were trying to make me feel better? Because truthfully, I got a little down when I saw all but one in the rejection bin. I felt very...what's the word....defeated. haha

Ben
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Exactly. I dont get that...
What's not to get? Ben stood at an unappealing angle to the subjects. You're taking the word "angle" wrong. It doesn't always mean the exact angle you are to the train. It can mean other things...like the angle you shot allowed other subjects in the scene to be very unappealing, as evident in Ben's two shots above.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Angry I Don't Get it?

Somebody should hang a sign on that little bridge that says:

No picture of this bridge and a train will be accepted on rail Pictures dot Net.

The end.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote