Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
J Douglas Moore

Default Appeal or let die?

Thought this shot would work even with the old stone wall blocking some of the trucks, much like a bridge...... Opinions? Appeal or let die.....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=4972053

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
BurghMan

I like it. I say appeal.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
jnohallman

I don't think an appeal will help, although I very much like the idea of the shot. I suspect foreground clutter is just one of several possible rejection reasons (though probably the least valid). For me, the bigger issue is that the train - and in particular the head end of the lead locomotive - isn't in sharp focus. This shot called for either tack sharp focus on the train, or serious bokeh on the train, and you don't have either. It's a very nice shot as is - I just don't think it's an RP shot (for better or for worse).

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I don't think an appeal will help, although I very much like the idea of the shot. I suspect foreground clutter is just one of several possible rejection reasons (though probably the least valid). For me, the bigger issue is that the train - and in particular the head end of the lead locomotive - isn't in sharp focus. This shot called for either tack sharp focus on the train, or serious bokeh on the train, and you don't have either. It's a very nice shot as is - I just don't think it's an RP shot (for better or for worse).

Jon
I do tend to agree with this.... Some of the issues are processing.... Does not help that I almost crashed trying to get stopped for this shot so it is truely a grab...... Flag alignment was a little off ...... I may rework the processing side and try again, not sure..... Not much I can do with the soft train except shot it again

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
nikos1

The image quality is horrible, if you can get that fixed then maybe its worth discussing.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I think the foreground clutter is the stone wall that obscures most of the running gear. It's one of those really close but no banana shots. Looks like a great location, but I'd try to find a location that provides an unobstructed view of the train, and perhaps balances the train with the cemetery a bit better.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I like the composition. Looks a little soft? Don't think an appeal will help.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I think the foreground clutter is the stone wall that obscures most of the running gear. It's one of those really close but no banana shots. Looks like a great location, but I'd try to find a location that provides an unobstructed view of the train, and perhaps balances the train with the cemetery a bit better.
What John said - word for word.

It's akin to taking a portrait of someone but cutting off their feet.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
J Douglas Moore

All good comments (except maybe the horrible mention...lol) No good place to shot this since wall runs full length......... Maybe a 20' lift.... My processing was real bad on that shot.......

"Thanks for looking"

Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
jnohallman

I'd try again, and make sure your processing is better. To me, the scene carries enough interest to overcome the blocked trucks. Not everyone will agree, of course, but you only have to get one screener to like it.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Mark T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I'd try again, and make sure your processing is better. To me, the scene carries enough interest to overcome the blocked trucks. Not everyone will agree, of course, but you only have to get one screener to like it.

Jon
I'd agree. A nice location and worth another attempt.

If the lighting is right, it might even work as a night time-delay shot.

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Bob Pickering

I am by no means an expert but I agree on the processing redo. But if you can re shoot it I would try to pick a place more to the right where you can get the flag pole but not have it right in the middle of the picture. Do not know if others will agree with that but that is my thought.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
MDH

I pretty much agree with the other comments (nice try, etc, but not quite rp.net). My only other thought was that it looks like I can see the rail of the next track over above the top of the low wall - is part of the "answer" getting a train on the other track? From looking at a map and having been through there before I suspect that's a possible solution to the "foreground obstruction" of the low wall...

Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote