Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
baldwin8

Default longer lens choice?

My camera currently is a Sony A350 that I would like to add a telephoto lens to. 55-200mm range I am thinking about.

Can I get a decent lens for the $600 price range? Should I just hang on and wait until I can upgrade to the next step in camera body? There seem to be so many choices but then again I see many good images posted on RP.net with sometimes point and shoot cameras.

My photography is usually limited to submissions for RP.net and airliners.net

Thank you for reading.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
magicman_841

Why spend 600$ when you can get a nice Minolta 70-210 F4 or 75-300 F4.5/5.6 for 150$? These are the legendary "Beercans" very popular amongst Sony Alpha shooters.

70-210 : http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-...n)_lens48.html

75-300 : http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-....6_lens52.html

I've been using both for 2 years now with my Sony a33 body (similar to your 350, but with a translucent mirror). They are readily available on the used market. Just look on eBay or your local craigslist/kijiji listings.

Just make sure you get the nice black metal "can" versions.

Otherwise, Sony offers a 55-200 F4-5.6 in the 200-250$ range (new), and a 70-300 F4.5/5.6 in the 250-300$ range (new). You can also treat yourself to a Sony 70-300 G ("G" is for higher end Sony lenses, like "L" for Canon). In the used market, they will set you back about 600-700$ if you can find one.

Last edited by magicman_841; 08-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
JRMDC

Your 14MP camera is more than fine for RP/airliners purposes, I suspect. Upgrading to some new body will perhaps get you a wee bit of image quality that you may or may not be able to notice (I'm not familiar with Sonys, but I see your camera is from 200. If you get a new lens with a focal length that you don't have right now, however, then your world opens up to certain composition that just aren't practically doable without that lens.

So, entirely new range of compositions, or somewhat better image quality? I don't know but I presume the camera generates more than enough image quality for RP; maybe someone else will chime in.

Another consideration is whether or not you are sticking with Sony in the long term.

I don't see any options for you below $600 but above $250 (US prices), so that is something to thing about also, not as big an investment as you might think.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
magicman_841

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Your 14MP camera is more than fine for RP/airliners purposes, I suspect.
It is indeed. I take all my tele shots with a 14,6 MP a33 and the aforementioned 80's Minolta lenses. Wonderful budget setup.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
baldwin8

Thank you for the input. I do get overwhelmed reading all the reviews in various photo websites comparing various equipment. RP has many great photographers but I tend to think not everyone has a huge budget for equipment.

I hope to purchase something by the end of the month.

Thank you for reading.