Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #101
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Ducky has been in this very thread; sorry you missed him.
Would that be Noct Foamer?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #102
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Would that be Noct Foamer?
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! (the "Kent in SD" at the bottom of his posts is the tip off...)
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #103
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! (the "Kent in SD" at the bottom of his posts is the tip off...)
If you pay attention to ObsCar on a regular basis, which I don't.

Learn a new thing everyday.

I let Charles vet the forum for me.

Thanks Charles.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-26-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #104
Indecline

But how often do you see a "Duckie" photo anywhere. If you do, is it any good?
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #105
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
But how often do you see a "Duckie" photo anywhere. If you do, is it any good?

I've posted several hundred over the past year on different photo forums. On ObsCar, no one has posted more of their own photos than I have, as you are well aware. Unfortunately, not a single one of them are any good.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #106
Indecline

That's pretty much true. I still await true enlightenment, but it just hasn't happened. I do like some of your night flash shots, but ......

DS
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #107
nikos1

I wish I could find some blue HLCX SD60's to shoot.....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #108
Noct Foamer

Quote:
That's pretty much true. I still await true enlightenment, but it just hasn't happened. I do like some of your night flash shots, but ......
A link I already posted to another thread:

http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/Sq...ins/slideshow/

Shots made during the past year mostly using a 1951 Rolleiflex Automat 4, with an early coated 7.5cm Zeiss Tessar, Fomapan 100 film (Fomapan: the film for foamers! ) Night shots mostly lit with #25 flashbulbs. We have a radically different style, which I find interesting. You are color only, I shoot both. I shoot people on the job whenever possible. You like colorful "big scale" daytime landscapes, I like small scale night shots. You use state of art camera gear, mine is often 60-80 years old. You favor what I call "calendar" type shots, I tend to be more abstract. On & on....... I think it goes to show just how broad foamer photography can be, and that's a good thing.

Kent in SD

Fomapan:

It's a classic 1940s
formulation
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/420112...ize?cat_id=403
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #109
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post

Shots made during the past year mostly using a 1951 Rolleiflex Automat 4, with an early coated 7.5cm Zeiss Tessar, Fomapan 100 film (Fomapan: the film for foamers! ) Night shots mostly lit with #25 flashbulbs. We have a radically different style, which I find interesting. You are color only, I shoot both. I shoot people on the job whenever possible. You like colorful "big scale" daytime landscapes, I like small scale night shots. You use state of art camera gear, mine is often 60-80 years old. You favor what I call "calendar" type shots, I tend to be more abstract. On & on....... I think it goes to show just how broad foamer photography can be, and that's a good thing.
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and money and just used Instagram and an iPhone.

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #110
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and money and just used Instagram and an iPhone.

Jim Made a funny.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #111
Noct Foamer

Quote:

I've read that the lens in a Iphone is a rapid rectilinear type, something designed in 1865 and was one of the two* standard type lenses used between 1866 and 1898. I don't think phnoe lenses are even coated either (might be--don't know for sure.) However, I'd still be stuck with the "digital" look, which I'm trying to avoid here. I also have no stomach for paying that kind of money for a phone. I go for the very cheapest one Verizon offers, and none of the $50/mo. data plan stuff. One thing I'll say about historic equipment is it has really forced me to learn exposure inside and out, as well as think through a shot. There's no LCD screen on the back of a 1928 Bergheil--you have to previsiualize the shot yourself. That's a hugely important skill, I think. Another benefit is I've had no problem at all getting even the crustiest railroaders to pose for me when using this sort of camera as they'd like a print themselves. I've been making people shots one of my top priorities.

The Rolleiflex was David Plowden's and O.W. Link's favorite camera, as well as other pro photographers who shot railroad subjects. They are fun to use! I enjoy the tangible connection to the foamers of the past.

Kent in SD

*The other lens was,
the Petzval, designed
in 1840. Both were
superceded in 1898 by
the Tessar. They still
make them, too.

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 04-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #112
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Jim Made a funny.
Did he?

Edgar
Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #113
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
:..........The Rolleiflex was David Plowden's and O.W. Link's favorite camera, as well as other pro photographers who shot railroad subjects.
But at the time, what were the alternatives?

I think if you gave Adams or Link a digital they would have used it.

I know Mathew Brady would have rather had Polorid.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-30-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #114
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
But at the time, what the alternatives?

I think if you gave Adams or Link a digital they would have used it.

I know Mathew Brady would have rather had Polorid.

Yes, of course Plowden would use a DSLR if available. He uses one now. As a night shooter myself, I have no doubt Link would have used the most popular commercial photog camera today--a Hassleblad with digi back. (I think he'd marvel just as much at the radio sync triggers as the camera, though.)

Back East, they have guys that like to dress up in Civil War uniforms, sleep in a canvas tent, and shoot (blanks) at each other using Springfield muskets. They call themselves, "reenactors." Think of me as a "foamer reenactor." I do love precision mechanical things, the challenge of using 100+ yr. old camera gear, and most of all I like the classic look I get. B&W only, of course. For color I just shoot my Nikons. Color images aren't "period correct" in an 1880s Watson half plate camera.

One conclusion I've come to is that a camera is a camera. My two month old Nikon DSLR is much more convenient, but I'm not prepared to say the images from it are really any better than what I get from my Chamonix 045n and a c.1906 Heliar lens. Different yes; better--maybe not. And, I like the smell of black powder smoke after taking a shot with it.

Kent in SD
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #115
Indecline

Quote:

Kent in SD

Fomapan:

It's a classic 1940s
formulation
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/420112...ize?cat_id=403
Finally had time to review your slide show. I guess it reminds me why I'm so sorry that the first several years of my shooting I shot with an Argus C3 and old folding Kodak 35mm camera because I was too damn cheap to buy a decent camera.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #116
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Finally had time to review your slide show. I guess it reminds me why I'm so sorry that the first several years of my shooting I shot with an Argus C3 and old folding Kodak 35mm camera because I was too damn cheap to buy a decent camera.

If you had a Rolleiflex, you would have had the best "hand" camera available. Of course, in the early 50's when this one was made, they cost the equivalent of ~$2,600. Few foamers would have had one. (Wasn't a new Argus something like a week's pay back then?)

Take a look at David Plowden's most recent book, "Requiem for Steam" sometime. All the images were made with a Rollieflex just like mine. I sat by Plowden in Chicago a few weeks ago, and handed him my Rollei. He handled it with great reverance and told me some cool foamer tales. I think he was close to tearing up as he felt the fine leather and solid feel of the camera. No doubt it brought back memories of some of the best times of his life. And, some of his best shots.

Kent in SD
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #117
Indecline

It would have been pretty simple to buy an entry level Nikon - Minolta - Honeywell - Pentex - Canon etc. in 1970 when I started shooting. Instead, I used my parents Argus that they gave me and then I went in the service I got a "portable" ancient old Kodak Retina or something like that as I figured no one would steal it from me. End result, shitty photos of all sorts of cool stuff. I did a couple of trips to Avery, Idaho and east to Montana and shot all sorts of cool Milwaukee stuff in 1970 and 1972. Won't ever be able to get a single shot on here from the Argus. It sucked.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #118
JimThias

Quote:
Take a look at David Plowden's most recent book, "Requiem for Steam" sometime. All the images were made with a Rollieflex just like mine.
Why do his shots look so different from yours?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #119
bigbassloyd

Quote:

Jim Made a funny.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #120
Noct Foamer

Quote:

He had mainline steam; I only have diesels?

I showed him some of these very shots. He liked them.

Kent in SD
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #121
JRMDC

Kent, I really like the term "foamer reenactor" - it really helps me understand the motivation behind what you do.

Now, the reason why you keep mentioning your old equipment in every single post you make in every single online venue, that is a mystery...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #122
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Now, now.

Let's not be too hard on those that engage in alternative photo activities.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #123
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Kent, I really like the term "foamer reenactor" - it really helps me understand the motivation behind what you do.

Now, the reason why you keep mentioning your old equipment in every single post you make in every single online venue, that is a mystery...

It changes from month to month, depending on what camera I'm using. I'm planning a trip back up into North Dakota, shooting mostly at night. For that I'll be using a new Nikon D7100 as a primary camera, and a D5200 as a slave camera.

I'll will explain a little what got me back into film. Two or three years ago, Nikon was in a slump and didn't produce cameras or lenses I had much interest in. So, I wasn't buying anything new (except lighting equipment.) About the same time I began to realize that ALL my photos had this same ultra sharp, highly saturated "digital" look, and all anyone on the photo forums wanted to talk about was the latest "hot" camera. This was a big turn-off for me, and I sort of rebelled. About that time I saw a fine art exhibit on railroad photography ("The Railway: Art in the Age of Steam,"} at the Kansas City Art Museum. WOW! I began to dig into photo history, the history of foaming, and what the capabilities of photo gear from different time periods were. Fascinating stuff! And, I was hooked. I admit I get a big kick out of showing up a crowded places full of photographers using thousands and thousands of dollars worth of photo gear, and I pull a $5 Kodak Brownie out of a very nice Billingham bag and start shooting!

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 05-01-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #124
JimThias

Quote:
He had mainline steam; I only have diesels?