Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
baggydave

Default I must be thick

For the life of me can I see what they want. It seems to follow the rule of thirds but it keeps getting dinged back. It also got sent back for under exposure but I pointed out that it was taken late in the evening so that got by. Any ideas anyone?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...10&key=5805254
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
JRMDC

It feels tight. For one at the top,where you have much too small a gap between mountain top and top edge for my tastes. On the left, you have clearly cut off the main part of the light reflection, and to my eye it has a "cut off" feel, a feel of having a bit missing. I figure you did that because it is otherwise too bright over there, but I'd like to see what that area is all about. Plus, having more light there makes the darkness elsewhere more understandable. On the bottom, not sure how I feel about the few branches, do I want less, or more?

I don't know what they want either, these are just immediate reactions.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
baggydave

I cut off the left because it had been rejected like that earlier. The extra on the left seemed to have put the train too far to the right hence the crop. Sky was also cut down or the train would be too low. I could clone the branches out. They don't figure in other shots but the train is low down on those frames. That is the dilemma, have sky and light in the picture and get a train not obeying the "rule of thirds".
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Dave - it looks a bit "tall". The train is actually a bit towards being centered in the frame as well. Surprised you don't see it, though it's like losing a pair of glasses that are over your forehead.

I agree with Janusz too, in that the mountain nearly, but not, touching the top of the frame is not appealing.

If possible, bring the train lower in the frame and viola! And if it means a little more room on top, that's good too.

/Mitch

Screener's response:

Last edited by Mgoldman; 06-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
baggydave

Didn't like that Tull album, I bought the first two though, This was and Stand up. Saw the Who last week and they were incredible. However back to the point in hand. Ever think that bad cropping is another way of saying "you ain't getting this past me ever"
My eveidence
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...71&key=3895882
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Ever think that bad cropping is another way of saying "you ain't getting this past me ever"
No, not really. That's what PEQ is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
I'd really like to see the train over further to the right. As in a later frame. I agree that the reflection on the water seems cut off in a distracting way.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
JMC

Dave,

Don't give up on this one. Any advice these guys have given me was just what my photos needed to make it in. If they see potential in it, it definitely has it.
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Dave - have you been railfanning too much? I detect Locomotive Breath, lol.

You'd THINK after writing that the shot required a few hours wait you might find a sympathetic screener who would offer some thoughts or a less vague canned response.
Can't do that for everyone of course, but not everyone is as well established on RP, either.

I'd chop it a little more - lose some of the bottom bringing the train lower and then chop some off the left losing the blown out water. You'll then have the post card look they are likely after - which in this case, might not be such a bad thing.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
baggydave

Mitch, that is an interesting thought regarding the screeners but one which I only did subconsciously I guess, as I do not believe that our comments are read, seeing as this was also dinged for underexposed and I did point out that it was taken late at night. When in the States I always wait for a train. I do not possess a scanner and if I did I doubt if I could use one. Takes me all my time to use a mobile phone!! I therefore stand and wait and hope.
I posted this thread because I genuinely don't understand what these screeners want from a picture. This particular one has been through the system almost 20 times in one guise or another and the canned response is always bad cropping. I am afraid that I cannot for the life of me see the bad cropping and that is where every one on the forum comes in because I am blind because it is my picture. Usually I can work it out and get the acceptance for an image but this one I cannot. Incidentally most of my pictures that get on the database are rejected four times minimum so perhaps I am not in tune with these guys at all.Guess I shall leave it and get on with other things. Thanks again for all your advice , it is always welcome.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Indecline

Bah, I like it as is.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote