Old 03-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
One thing I learned the hard way is that when you publish friends expect free copies.
I always expect free copies when I publish friends.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #27
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Congrats Mitch. I'll try and find a copy. One year subscription is $50? How many issues is that?
12 issues, Rob. And, again, available direct if you follow the link above.

$7.95 per issue, think heavy glossy coat pages, usually about 60 per issue and no advertising. $50 bucks /year. About a tank of gas.

Seems about the norm - Railpace is $55.00, Trains $43.00 and Railfan at $37.00, though the last mentioned two are subsidized with advertising.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Thanks Derek!

Not sure what directions Ron's photography drifts off RP but I finally took everyone's advice and, while I do not yet have my own site, I do now have pictures on FLICKR:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87195227@N05/

\Mitch
Well it's about flickn time! Following...and I already commented on a photo.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #29
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...There have been many great photographers, both here and off site, that have made me question whether or not I should consider another hobby....
/Mitch
I can't come up to the level of photographic competence of today's generation, so I don't try. I haven't taken a new train image in almost four months. Instead, I just troll around in my old slides every now and then. I only have tens of thousands left to go...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #30
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I can't come up to the level of photographic competence of today's generation, so I don't try. I haven't taken a new train image in almost four months. Instead, I just troll around in my old slides every now and then. I only have tens of thousands left to go...
Blah, blah, blah... you say that now - before Spencer and upcoming runs of SOU #630 and SOU #4501! Yup, when the first leaf turns from brown to green, you'll wish all you had left to edit was those 10's of thousands of images from the past! Ron - you are most definitely one of my favorite photographers, both on site and off! Lol - wonder if you have more pics on print or in digitized format on RP? Looking forward to the March issue of R&R!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
loomus78

Quote:
Clearly I'm biased toward print media vs. the virtual stuff on line. I'd much rather curl up with a book or magazine than an I-something or other or a lap top. A couple of days ago, the new issue of Railroads Illustrated came in the mail, but I didn't open it immediately (I get quite a few magazines, so I read 'em when I get the chance). This morning, I did.

In this issue is a Portfolio of photography by our own beloved Mitch Goldman. Now, I throw a lot of tongue in cheek humor around, and Mitch and I give each other good-natured grief occasionally (we've never met in person, however). But---this is, by a long shot, the best Portfolio in RI in many years! Mitch is an extraordinarily talented photographer, and his supportive prose is first-rate as well. I've been known to try a pan shot every now then over the years, but as Mitch and other practitioners will tell you, it's difficult to pull off. He offers the perfect explanation of how it's done, too. I smiled when I read about the "follow through." Yep, Mitch...you know how it's done!

So, kudos to Mitch for a great feature. I know everyone who lurks around the RP.Forum isn't inclined to read print media, but there's a ton of well-written, well-photographed material there that's probably more entertaining that all this drivel on the internet. I recommend you pick up a copy of this issue.

Oh...best of all, Mitch's well-known shot of the dog he photographed in France several years ago is there. That's why I love print media: no PEQ shots...
The "Top Dog" deserves it! I am honored to have a story in the same issue as Mitch.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #32
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
The "Top Dog" deserves it! I am honored to have a story in the same issue as Mitch.
Didn't mean to overlook you, Jon! I haven't read the article yet, but that's a great variety of compositions on the MM. You kind of mopped up too...cover shot, inside cover and the main story. Kudos, indeed!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I always expect free copies when I publish friends.
Missing commas can kill grandma, huh?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #34
KevinM

I don't think it is unreasonable for a photographer or author to expect one courtesy copy of the magazine in which the photo or article appears....in addition to whatever compensation is offered....which these days, is usually minimal, especially with magazines. The truth is, the magazines ARE making money, and it costs them next to nothing additional to provide you with a sample.

That said, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the publisher to ship the contributor a stack of samples for all of his/her buddies. They have to draw the line someplace. One look at an average edition of a typical RR magazine and a little math would tell you that an average publisher would be sending out hundreds of free copies every month.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #35
loomus78

Quote:
Didn't mean to overlook you, Jon! I haven't read the article yet, but that's a great variety of compositions on the MM. You kind of mopped up too...cover shot, inside cover and the main story. Kudos, indeed!
Thanks Ron,
I did not receive my copy until today so I got my first look into Mitch's Portfolio and all I can say is "wow." The anticipation was worth it.
That is my first cover and full feature article so be gentle.
I'm pretty psyched about it. I had a few friends help out with photos as well.
Add in Craig Walker's article on the Big Boy move, an essay by George Pitarys and an article by Steve Faulkner on hybrid engines. I think Cinthia and crew put together a very good publication.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #36
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I will have to purchase. I have been blown away by Mitch's photography talent for some time and I can't wait to see what the RI looks like.
Well said, and don't forget to add the dissertations in History with every photo
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #37
bigiron

Congratulations Mitch, I will have to find a copy locally hoping my local B&N stocks them. Be nice to see what one of the masters of our hobby has to say and share!! The history lesson contained in the photos certainly is something that is appreciated as the answers aren't easy to come by at times, thanks. Your frank "off the cuff" opinions don't go unnoticed either . Also looking to see what the other what the other Photogs have to say too.

Ever think of starting a site of your own....Trains and Pets? LOL

Rich Clark

Last edited by bigiron; 03-06-2014 at 11:42 AM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote