Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Great thread title. I'd love to know what's going on with these two photos:

Image © Walt Landi
PhotoID: 512658
Photograph © Walt Landi

Image © Walt Landi
PhotoID: 512783
Photograph © Walt Landi
I haven't contributed much to RP over the last year and a half ... a new home, longer commutes, re-prioritization of how I choose to spend my free time, and horrible internet service at home have conspired against what had been my RP time. Seeing these two, shall we say, rather artistic representations of Marias Pass being voted as the two most choice photos of the prior week makes me wonder whether I should bother contributing again in the future. Isn't the purpose of RP to be a gallery of images more or less accurately representing what the photographer saw? I've been to Marias in winter, and I can unequivocally state that I've never seen purple plows on locomotives, orange shadows under bridge, or entire mountainsides that had been pissed on by the collective bladders of every wild animal in the Rocky Mountains. I suppose I'll have to look for these elements when I visit again next month.

Come to think of it, I have once before found snow that looked somewhat like that, but on a much smaller scale:
Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 304262
Photograph © David Honan

Anyway: I know this site is supposed to be about sharing one's work to be viewed by others, not about popularity contests, but still... if this is the new standard for excellence, a bar set so high that a slug could jump it with inches to spare, and such wild misrepresentations of reality are what the majority of viewers now find most appealing, is there a point in posting my boring, properly-colored, realistic work when it seems nobody is going to care?

(Full disclosure: Mostly, this post was a contrived excuse to rail against two horribly processed images that I still can't believe were accepted in the first place, much less were voted as the top two PCAs. But wow, it's been so long since I've regularly contributed on the forums that I've moved twice since last updating my signature. I'll start submitting to the database again at some point...)
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

If this whole thing gets us more Dave Honan pics, it was worth it (although I still hate the one he shared in this post - sorry).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #28
magicman_841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
One is the most favorited photo of the past 7 days, and the other is well on its way to becoming #2.

Is that what you mean?

Come on, the plows are a mix of noise and purple from all the shadow recovery. An overprocessed rejection was in order (and very deserved) on both of those, sorry.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #29
Ween

This is directly out of the camera. I swear. SC, Tof24, POTW, PCs 1-4 at a minimum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RP Ridiculousness.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	908.1 KB
ID:	8847
Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
MassArt Images

Quote:
One is the most favorited photo of the past 7 days, and the other is well on its way to becoming #2.

Is that what you mean?
I wonder if I could get Chris to accept this. Maybe I could get a PC for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP3541_fusedRZ.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	905.5 KB
ID:	8848

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #31
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I wonder if I could get Chris to accept this. Maybe I could get a PC for it.

Attachment 8848
I doubt it. Your yellow snow looks too much like sand. Nobody wants to see such lousy-looking snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
If this whole thing gets us more Dave Honan pics, it was worth it (although I still hate the one he shared in this post - sorry).
You're my #1 fan! (My only one, but that doesn't affect your status in the rankings.) And posting "Horsepower Droppings" was a complete gag in the first place; I still can't believe it was accepted. I think 5500 views and 13 favorites speaks well to it being both a conversation piece and a rather lackluster photo. Without the caption, it's nothing.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #32
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I doubt it. Your yellow snow looks too much like sand. Nobody wants to see such lousy-looking snow.
Ha-ha ... It is sand. I thought I got ballast with just the right amount of purple.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #33
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I think 5500 views and 13 favorites speaks well to it being both a conversation piece and a rather lackluster photo. Without the caption, it's nothing.
I'd retort saying "Dog on a Train" would generate an equal number of views and favorites even without a caption but I'd be barking up the wrong tree.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 AM   #34
Dennis A. Livesey

Walt's image at West Glacier has impact. That is the unmeasurable appeal that causes people to click. I clicked because the shot had great thumb appeal.

When it opened up, I must at admit, I paused in my praise because the processing was so challenging to speak about.

In the comments, one visitor said he liked it as is.

In another, Walt himself said about the image:
"I had a polarizing filter on and I didn't get it rotated for the best hue. In the full resolution .tiff file the shot looks awesome! I did NO photoshopping of the photo whatsoever to add or delete to the scene. What you see is what is there!"

I would have to say, that is one unusual camera.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a disinterested party. I had a horse in the PCA race, one of my most popular shots ever on RP. Walt's shots though had that popular impact and got not one, but two PCA's.

Here's my shot.

[photoid= 512773]

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:51 AM   #35
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a disinterested party. I had a horse in the PCA race, one of my most popular shots ever on RP. Walt's shots though had that popular impact and got not one, but two PCA's.

Here's my shot.

[photoid= 512773]
And, to add insult to injury, you have a typo and no one will ever see that shot again.

To the rescue!
Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 512773
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 AM   #36
JRMDC

No one has spoken to the flip side of this coin, to my recollection. These results are telling admin - accept a wider range of artistry! The viewership wants to see a broader variety! I wonder if they will get the message.

If they do, I wonder if we will be happy with the results or will we pine for the days of the endless wedgies?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #37
KevinM

I also recall seeing that comment from the photographer regarding his use of a polarizing filter. My first reaction was WHY? The sun does not appear to be visible from the photographer's standpoint, so as far as I can see, the only thing that polarizer was doing was robbing him of a couple of stops of light in a scene where shadows and highlights were going to be a real challenge.

I have noticed that a fair number of railfans, many of whom are carrying some pretty nice gear, are routinely running around with polarizing filters on their lenses. It leaves me scratching my head most of the time. A couple of weekends ago, I was out shooting the Conway Scenic. It was dark and cloudy with a featureless sky and a snowstorm just hours away. I was already in ISO 800 country when I see this fellow standing around with a 70-200mm f/2.8 that obviously had a CPL mounted. I would love to see what he got with that rig.

I have a really nice CPL and I think I can count on my 10 fingers the number of times that I've ever had the thing on the camera.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #38
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I also recall seeing that comment from the photographer regarding his use of a polarizing filter. My first reaction was WHY?
Kevin, I believe he said he had used a neutral density filter on the one with the brownish-orange background. I'm guessing it was a grad filter, which would explain the partially tinted scene. However, it doesn't explain the blown out white area of snow by the mile marker sign, nor the areas of black that appear to be purple.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #39
Ween

This is where I have a problem as one commenter said:

Quote:
Posted by Marc on January 2, 2015
It;s like your there. Great shot.
No, no it's not like you're there...unless you were on acid. And the fact that so many people fav'd and voted for those pieces of art (intentionally not calling them photographs) has me scratching my head at what appeals to people.

I understand Chris' position that it draws in views and is popular, but on the flip side, it seems to go against the site's entire history of wanting images capturing a scene and instead puts praise on creating a scene...
Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
This is where I have a problem as one commenter said:

Yeah, right? The grammar in that comment is horrible. It leaves me wondering, what is the photographer's "there" and how is "it" like it?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #41
Ween

Quote:
Yeah, right? The grammar in that comment is horrible. It leaves me wondering, what is the photographer's "there" and how is "it" like it?
Quote:
Comments will be screened for correct grammar and punctuation prior to inclusion.
So in addition to accepting purple plows and cut-off Geeps, the screeners are now struggling with screening the comments for content as well, eh?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

In another, Walt himself said about the image:
"I had a polarizing filter on and I didn't get it rotated for the best hue. In the full resolution .tiff file the shot looks awesome! I did NO photoshopping of the photo whatsoever to add or delete to the scene. What you see is what is there!"
Hmm...I swear I read somewhere that he had used a neutral density filter. I guess I was just imagining that.

The photographer is getting a little defensive over the "negative comments":

Quote:
I see that most of the people who have something negative to say about this photo have had nowhere near the positive response on their own photos as this photo has received!
Ummm....not quite, Walt.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #43
bigbassloyd

Can't wait to see what he uploads next!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #44
KevinM

Quote:
Hmm...I swear I read somewhere that he had used a neutral density filter. I guess I was just imagining that.
Hi Jim,

I can certainly understand why you would imagine that. A 2-stop Grad-ND would have absolutely made more sense than a polarizer. I have a Grad-ND as well, but it is really only useful when you have a well-defined horizon. I have tried to use it in other situations and the results just look strange.

I would love to have a crack at the scenes depicted in those two PCA photos. Even though I'm not a diesel guy, those are pretty scenes and would be a nice challenge to see if I could balance the exposure and then get something reasonable in post without requiring too much selective editing. I am finding that a well-exposed raw file is amazingly resilient.

With regard to the photographer's comment about not doing any "Photoshopping", I believe that he simply meant that he didn't do any digital "manipulation", and I don't think anyone is alleging that. I do think it is obvious to everyone that the file has been heavily "edited", and I think we all understand the distinction between the two terms.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #45
coborn35

Quote:

Is that what you mean?
Nope, don't think that's what he meant. It's hard for you guys to keep beating the "we want the best images" horse when you basically just said its all about views. That's fine, but why is it so hard to just be honest?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #46
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Nope, don't think that's what he meant. It's hard for you guys to keep beating the "we want the best images" horse when you basically just said its all about views. That's fine, but why is it so hard to just be honest?
Doggone it, sometimes I wish it were all about the views -trust me, I have a dog in that fight!

The question is, why are some views worth more then other views to RP?

Image © Corey Vernier
PhotoID: 114354
Photograph © Corey Vernier

Image © Ed Mullan
PhotoID: 289394
Photograph © Ed Mullan

Image © Dendera
PhotoID: 199417
Photograph © Dendera

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 366607
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

Image © Zach Pumphery
PhotoID: 406794
Photograph © Zach Pumphery

Image © Randy Murphy
PhotoID: 23850
Photograph © Randy Murphy

Image © Doug Wolfe
PhotoID: 289509
Photograph © Doug Wolfe

/Mitch
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #47
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
The question is, why are some views worth more then other views to RP?
The same reason so many people watch NASCAR. It's not to watch a bunch of loud cars drive in endless loops, it's about waiting for JP Montoya to crash into the jet drier and cause burning fuel to go running across the track.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #48
Mgoldman

Well then... imagine this:

/Mitch
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #49
JRMDC

Funny the first time, Mitch, but no one wants to see that come around for 200 laps!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #50
Ron Flanary

I don't like to take digs at anyone's work, but apparently I have learned nothing from the experience of rail photography, or posting to Rail Pictures. The fact they were accepted blows my mind. What REALLY blows my mind is that the were PCAs. Maybe I bought a ticket to the wrong carnival.

The SP shot at Caliente is incredibly bad. The screeners must have been smoking crack or watching porn while they were reviewing uploads then, because I've rarely seen anything like this be accepted.

Again---I hate to say anything bad about someone's "art," but I'm left to scratch my bald head on these...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote