Old 11-26-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071
Default Bad Motive

Hi! I had this shot rejected for bad motive:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=310566

Does this spot have potential for night shots? I like tghe exempt sign. Would I have been better off to leave the R/R sign out? Thanks alot!
-Adam

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Bill

Seems a bit bright on my monitor...lots of halo'ing around the lights. I'd tone down the brightness a bit. I presonally don't think it's bad motive, but what do I know, I just had this similar shot rejected for bad motive.

My bad motive shot

Guess they're not in the mood for motion shots this weekend?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
Mgoldman

I don't see that as "bad motive", especially with so many similar photos on RP.
It would be nice if the rejection reasons were more specific as I would imagine a rejection as such would be aggrevating.

I would guess that it simply did not meet that particular screener's idea of what RP should accept. If the car headlights were not in the photo, it might have worked with a caption reading "solitude" but with the headlights I don't feel any emotion or mood. It is a bit bright and noisy and it lacks any interesting details - vehicals, reflections, buildings, thought the sign was a nice touch.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 11-26-2006 at 03:54 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
JRMDC

My view is different. The shot is messy - all the grass/weed stalks on the right in particular. The poor lighting on the sign, take it or leave it, I'm one to leave it.

I think it is overexposed as well, but I don't shoot at night so it's just an opinion. But all the extra glow makes the shot look completely hazy in a non-moody sort of way. Actually, that is also part of the problem, it gives the shot a "blah" feel.

Please excuse the harshness, one person's opinion only. This one doesn't work for me.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
JRMDC

Bill, I've looked at your stuff, you are such a good photographer that I am several leagues below you, but nonetheless yours does not work for me either. There is no context, just a white line through the night. Doesn't work as an abstract, what with the glow on the tree at left in particular, it's not a clean image. But not enough detail to make it work otherwise - just a lot of dead space. And there is something about the curve that suggests the image is tilted to the left, whether it is or not.

Also, maybe skip the bulbs, they seem to illuminate only unimportant, distracting stuff like the trees and the path.

My 2 cents, 'tis all.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Seems a bit bright on my monitor...lots of halo'ing around the lights. I'd tone down the brightness a bit. I presonally don't think it's bad motive, but what do I know, I just had this similar shot rejected for bad motive.

My bad motive shot

Guess they're not in the mood for motion shots this weekend?

Thanks,
Bill
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Bill

Thanks J, that's a fair analysis. I think the shot appeals to me since it's THE most photographed location along the WMSR line & I was a bit proud of myself for doing something unique from that spot.
Ha, I'll probably later find out that hundreds of others have done that same shot from that same location...but I personally haven't seen any yet.

Here's a daylight shot from my friend Tom taken from that same location...just to give a sense of perspective.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by Bill; 11-26-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
a231pacific

Bill,

If you had left your shutter open longer, you would have built up a bit of sky light and the shot would have had more definition. Or, you could do it on a full moon night and keep it open long enough to see detail on the ground and on Price's hill in the background. Neat idea though. Like your turntable shot, think of it as a trial run!

Michael Allen

Image © Michael F. Allen
PhotoID: 145623
Photograph © Michael F. Allen

Helmstetter's Curve, one of the best places on earth to photograph steam!
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Bill

Thanks Michael, good suggestions. I believe I'll try it again next weekend with a much longer bulb. I started the shutter right as the trauin was passing last night...next week I'll start the shutter much earlier...here's hoping for a clear sky.

As for the night-time turntable, tried it again last night with blah results. I'm officially passing that torch to whomever else wants to run with the idea. It's just not working for me...they just look like blurry train shots.