Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071
Default High Sun?

Hello all, I was just a little confused by this High Sun rejection:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=555598&key=0

The trucks are pretty well lit, could it be the darkness above the trucks? I think that I took this at around 5 P.M. I've had worse accepted lol:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...10269&nseq=102

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...112768&nseq=96

Thanks!
-Adam

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
JRMDC

I am thinking it is the dark truck areas. Can you do a little shadows/highlights to bring those areas up without trashing the rest of the shot?

The image quality isn't so great, however. That Sony may have a hard time cutting it these days. But part of your problem may be, if I am reading the EXIF right, that you shot at 2048x1536, which is a 3mp image, and not even the 5mp that the camera is capable of (if I am getting the correct info off the web). Are you shooting at maximum resolution and minimum compression, at highest quality?

BTW, don't compare current screening to that which was done when the photo ids were in the 110xxx range. Standards have changed over time, and that is just not a good reference anymore.

EDIT: I see you have other recent accepted photos with the Sony. Don't know what to say other than this one doesn't look so good.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
KevinM

Hmmmm...

I guess the issue with the trucks doesn't immediately jump out at me. I've had shots with darker trucks get accepted, but I think the standards for non-action shots are stricter, so Janusz may be on target with his analysis.

My thought is that maybe the colors look too faded or washed out, and perhaps the Screener believed it was due to high sun. The top surfaces of the switcher are especially prominent in this regard. If they are heavily oxidized, that could make it look like sun-washout.

I don't know what you have for post processing tools, but if you have the capability, I'd make another attempt or two before giving up on this one. I have PSE 6, so that's what I'm familiar with. I'd bump up the saturation a tad and see if that makes the colors look richer. Then experiment with the brightness/contrast and shadows/highlights tools to VERY slightly decrease the overall brightness of the photo without getting the trucks any darker. It will take some experimentation, but I think it is worth a shot.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but if there's a pulse left, I love the challenge of trying to pull one back from the brink!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Then experiment with the brightness/contrast and shadows/highlights tools to VERY slightly decrease the overall brightness of the photo without getting the trucks any darker.
Kevin, I have to disagree with your stated goal. I think he needs to get the trucks (actually, the shadows in that area) brighter without getting the rest of the engines brighter.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
KevinM

Hi Janusz,

Although we may not agree on what the primary issue is with Adam's picture, I'm not sure the solutions are mutually exclusive.

I'm not as sensitive to the lighting of the trucks....they look OK (not great, but OK) to me. I've seen worse. Doing shadow reduction is fine, but as you say, he doesn't want to increase the overall brightness of this picture any or he'll risk not only looking like high sun, but overexposed as well. I actually think the overall brightness (again, not the trucks) could come down just a blonde (or red) hair. It would make the sky look a slightly deeper blue and less like a mid-day scene. My primary focus though would be boosting saturation a tick. I don't think the washed-out colors of these locos are helping Adam's cause.

Adam, Janusz has a lot more experience here than I do, so certainly, if he says the trucks need work, then I'd listen to him. My suggestion about the saturation of the colors is just that. My experience is that high sun washes out colors, so when the Screeners see colors like this, they think high sun. If you don't really have high sun here, the faded look of these locos could be another issue you might be able to improve.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
JRMDC

I think we both make valid points.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots