Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default RP broader standards - pleased as punch!

This is not intended as a pat on my own back, but I suspect it may come across that way. Or you may think I am just trolling for views; whatever. I am just pleased that RP went a bit out of the box in accepting some shots of mine. I had submitted two shots, with some hope that they would get in despite the strikes against them in RP terms.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 339108
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

As I said in the caption, it's all about the cars. Midtrain shots are difficult to make interesting and I won't claim to have done so successfully here, albeit one screener found it of merit. I just love seeing these particular cars and I am pleased that now that enjoyment is preserved for posterity, in a very small way. It is a happiness shot, not a creative shot (other than using the ultrawide on what could have been a standard wide angle shot).

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 339110

This shot is from a few years ago, a day from which I had previously uploaded several images. This scene pleases me. I know from private discussions that some would say (did say!) there isn't enough on the left to balance the tower. They may be correct. But the browns/yellows please me, the scene brings back memories of hanging out there waiting for trains to come, and I don't often shoot in falling snow, this may be my first such shot on RP and I only have one or two others in my collection. So the shot does a lot for me personally.

As long as I am talking about unusual uploads, here is my third for the day. With shots like this it isn't so much a matter of what RP considers a rail image as it is just whether or not a screener finds a hardware detail shot interesting or not, sometimes yes, sometimes no. So it isn't really what I think of as an out of the box shot, it isn't an unusual composition, it just records something that often does not get recorded.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 339134

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
baldwin8

I saw these shots a few minutes ago, so congratulations. They are all nice. I have never believed that every shot needs something to balance out each objects but objects or lack of objects should convey a feel for the surroundings.

Nice work.
baldwin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

Excellent exposure on the first one. Would have been even better if those CNW grain cars were not tagged. We get those down here for a brewery that is rail served.

I was just at 2 of those places 3 weeks ago, attempted to take a few pictures at the MARC station in Rockville, but didnt find it a particularly photogenic location. I was limited most of my trip due to not having a rental car for part of the time and was stuck to places somewhat close to the Metro. I found that platform crossing warning system they had set up pretty cool and it was raining when I went through Brunswick, didnt even stop by Hancock. Didnt they tear down that tower? Last time I was through there they just re-did the signals at the yard.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
JRMDC

Sadly, Troy, that shot was one with a car about the least tagged, most are much worse. I saw them again this past Friday, which was fun. No RP worthy shots from that day, other than the platform signal shot.

Yes, Rockville is not photogenic, this was my last attempt there for a while, no point really. Always tough when the tracks are next to the Metro so one has all the fencing to deal with. Even the trackside angles are dull; I have one or two on the database.

Yes, the Hancock tower went down a few years ago, October 2007, I've got a shot with foreground debris:

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 205325

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

I tried just about every metro station near the B&O and none of them were really any good. One of them was right in the middle of the 2 tracks but the fences, brush or fear for personal safety killed it. The new(er) New York ave stop looked like it had promise, but it was a little too close to the green line for my liking if you know what I mean.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
JRMDC

Metro and DC: Rockville is doable for trackside wedgies, but boring. Silver Spring MD, nothing much worth doing from the Metro platform but step out into the city and there are some nice angles; I need to get over there. Alexandria VA, another place where Amtrak station is near Metro station, very nice place to go. L'Enfant plaza, interesting overhead angles there plus trackside at VRE station (plus the Freericks hotel shot). Crystal City VA, VRE station, tight angles. Van Dorn VA was nice, not for the adjacent CSX but for the short walk across the parking lot to the NS yard, now difficult to access given new security fencing. Union Station, difficult to shoot, not a big fan of the view from the parking deck but it can be ok.

Of all those, my favorite used to be Van Dorn, but now with the fencing there, Alexandria probably the best, have not done L'Enfant in a long while. None of those are B&O, now that I think about it.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-27-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Yea, I got a couple Alexandria's while I was there. I was impatient or I could have caught a couple more trains. While walking back to the metro a CSX mixed freight and Amtrak rolled through
Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 336394
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 338182
Photograph © Troy Nolen

This one I took at L'Enfant did not make it at RP, but I put it at RRpicturearchives. I found the station platform not particularly good due to the tight angles, but a little more exploring I am sure I could have found a better vantage point.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...spx?id=2234557

Nothing to write home about
, but in the limited time I had to do this sort of stuff it was ok. I get to DC about once a year for work, usually I dont take my cameras, but this time I did because I knew I would have a weekend free.

I visited Van Dorn street before and remember it being near the Metro parking lot, but did not make it out that far this time, I dont remember it being anything to write home about.

Last edited by troy12n; 09-27-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
goremirebob
ex-teenager

Coming back to your first post - yes, they are all nice pictures, and, like you, I am always pleased when my efforts to 'think outside the box' get accepted. However recently whenever I submit a batch of pictures, say 7-8, it's always the straightforward and, in my view, least interesting ones which seem to get in without problems, and the ones I think stand out get 'bad cropping', 'PEQ' or whatever. I guess a lot depends on whether the screener likes your shot - if it doesn't speak to him there's probably not you can do about it. But it's extremely satisfying when one you are proud of or means something to you gets in.
goremirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremirebob View Post
...However recently whenever I submit a batch of pictures, say 7-8, it's always the straightforward and, in my view, least interesting ones which seem to get in without problems, and the ones I think stand out get 'bad cropping', 'PEQ' or whatever.
Boy - couldn't have said that better in my own words.

My reject list is becoming something of a portfolio in itself...
I like to look at it for future inspiration.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

You just need to shoot more SD60's
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

I'm also very glad for you, Janusz... I've had a slightly different run of luck recently in trying to submit some "outside the box" shots (one was of a Los Angeles Railway substation that has been turned into a mausoleum.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You just need to shoot more SD60's

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
WisconsinCentral

LMAO Troy...

Alec
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Welcome to the Dark Side.

Whore!!!!!!

Feels good don't it!

Something else besides the 3/4 wedgie.

Now try a heat blurred dog on a train shot and impress Mitch and I.

Good job.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 09-28-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremirebob View Post
However recently whenever I submit a batch of pictures, say 7-8, it's always the straightforward and, in my view, least interesting ones which seem to get in without problems, and the ones I think stand out get 'bad cropping', 'PEQ' or whatever.
I know what you mean Bob - one of my submissions just going into Box D was rejected here previously, but I didn't bother trying to edit it as I thought that would spoil the overall effect. Hope you like it when it eventually reaches you

STEVE

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote