Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
IHapsias

Default Opinions, please.

Hello everyone, happy Thursday to you all.

The following photo was rejected for the train being too far away. I personally am not to sure on this and wanted to get some other opinions on the photo before I did anything or if anything at all. It doesn't seem too far away to me, but if it isn't, maybe its bad cropping? What's your opinion?

Thank you!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=789837728
Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
chuckman

Ian,

If your goal was to show the entire scene with the genset and the yard office, the unit was not too far away, but unfortunately, I don't think railpictures is interested in that type of material. What I would try would be a vertical crop with the engine in the center, and the hills as a backdrop. Or if you're really dead set on the scene you have, just try a tighter crop with the yard office in the left 1/3 of the shot and the engine to the right, almost the way you have it now.

Hope this was helpful.

Charlie

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
Ian,

If your goal was to show the entire scene with the genset and the yard office, the unit was not too far away, but unfortunately, I don't think railpictures is interested in that type of material. What I would try would be a vertical crop with the engine in the center, and the hills as a backdrop. Or if you're really dead set on the scene you have, just try a tighter crop with the yard office in the left 1/3 of the shot and the engine to the right, almost the way you have it now.

Hope this was helpful.

Charlie
Thanks much, Charlie. I see what your going with the tighter crop and that looks much better when I look at it. Will try that and re-submit. See what they say. Thanks again
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

The photo is OK, but the train is not the subject. they want the train to be the subject, not telephone poles.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
IHapsias

The camera's focal point is directly on the unit, not the poles..
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Not a fan, too cluttered. All those poles really kill the scene for me personally. It's cropped a little too close on the right, then you have the shadows.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Not a fan, too cluttered. All those poles really kill the scene for me personally. It's cropped a little too close on the right, then you have the shadows.
Thanks for your input, Troy. Will see what happens and if it gets the door just simply save it for the personal files. No biggie.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
magicman_841

So what's the speed limit in that area, anyway?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Saw my first SD40-3 today. Not as bad looking in person I must say. It was offline and doors on the long hood open, lol...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
The photo is OK, but the train is not the subject. they want the train to be the subject, not telephone poles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
All those poles really kill the scene for me personally.
The poles are the subject! Think of this shot as being equivalent to one of those pretty barn shots, with a train going by in the background. But instead of a barn, it has poles.

Not every interesting scene has to be pretty. Sort of interesting, how that location came to have all those poles, and all those speed limit signs.

Butt ugly, of course, but sometimes that is railroading. I won't be favoriting it but I won't complain if it gets on.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The poles are the subject! Think of this shot as being equivalent to one of those pretty barn shots, with a train going by in the background. But instead of a barn, it has poles.

Not every interesting scene has to be pretty. Sort of interesting, how that location came to have all those poles, and all those speed limit signs.
I dont think that's the case, but if it is, if the poles are the subject, I would have found another place to shoot, but that's just me.

I think the speed limit signs are an afterthought. I could be way off base though.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #12
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
The photo is OK, but the train is not the subject.
Quote:
Photography 101 lesson for the day: "Focal point" ("the center of interest or activity") is not the same thing as "focus point" ("the point where light rays originating from a point on the object converge"), and "focus point" and "subject" are two vastly different concepts. Just because you have a small piece of the overall composition perfectly in focus does not mean that it will be the dominant object in the frame, the subject which draws the viewer's attention.

In this instance, the eye is drawn to the line of poles. Moving off to the right and closer to the power (which you had permission to do, right?) would have increased the apparent space between the poles, reducing their prominence in the scene, and allowed the yard power to play a greater role in the composition as it was positioned closer to the bright, attention-grabbing office building.

Edit: This is what I get for re-reading my post too many times - Janusz beats me to the punch.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

The shadows are the downfall for me. Be nice to be able to read the sign on the left too.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #14
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Why is there a speed limit sign on every pole?

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
So what's the speed limit in that area, anyway?
Ha-ha! You beat me to it. That was literally the first thig I saw in the shot.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Photography 101 lesson for the day: "Focal point" ("the center of interest or activity") is not the same thing as "focus point" ("the point where light rays originating from a point on the object converge"), and "focus point" and "subject" are two vastly different concepts. Just because you have a small piece of the overall composition perfectly in focus does not mean that it will be the dominant object in the frame, the subject which draws the viewer's attention.

In this instance, the eye is drawn to the line of poles. Moving off to the right and closer to the power (which you had permission to do, right?) would have increased the apparent space between the poles, reducing their prominence in the scene, and allowed the yard power to play a greater role in the composition as it was positioned closer to the bright, attention-grabbing office building.

Edit: This is what I get for re-reading my post too many times - Janusz beats me to the punch.
Thanks for the correction, David.

I have permission to be there [the yard] ; but I don't have permission to go wandering onto the tracks wouldn't want to do that either way. The shot will be easier done when I have a telephoto lense whenever that may be, as the shot is taken at 70MM and cropped in.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
chuckman

Ian, yes, the poles are the primary subject in the original, but focus on making the engine the main attraction with the crop I suggested. Let me know if it makes the cut...it has good potential here with the right crop, especially with an interesting engine...

Good luck!

Charlie

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
DWHonan

Quote:
Thanks for the correction, David.
Quite welcome. I know you're only 16, but as you continue to grow up you'll find that semantics are very important.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Mucho Poles for Danny Boy

I think Dan will really gravitate towards this shot because it has a whole butt load of poles, and he really likes poles.

I think like the others that the train is not the subject and there are more interesting poles to shoot such as code line poles with insulators and such.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Quite welcome. I know you're only 16, but as you continue to grow up you'll find that semantics are very important.
Very true, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I think Dan will really gravitate towards this shot because it has a whole butt load of poles, and he really likes poles.

I think like the others that the train is not the subject and there are more interesting poles to shoot such as code line poles with insulators and such.
I will wait for winter to kick in here and try some with the insulator poles down in town.. See what I can come up with. Maybe include a wedgie or 2 there of a Dash 9 as well.