Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile My apologies to a screener

Several days ago I uploaded the attached file and it was rejected for "awkward angle" or something like that. I was a bit pissed. The awkwardness was not immediately apparently to me, so I appealed since I thought it was a nice image. While the image was in appeal limbo, I decided to see if maybe the screener had something. Bingo. It took quite a few side by side variations (glad I wasn't doing this in my old dark room), but finally I decided that the plume of smoke defined the visual sense of level, so I lined things up with that. It definitely looked better. The original also had poor color. I think the result is much more "comfortable" visually, and the color balance is better. In the mean time my appeal was generously granted (the original was not all that bad), so I uploaded a revised version. But net net, the screener was right, there was a better version of the image to be had. Thanks. Here is the final version which can be compared to where it all started:

Image © John West
PhotoID: 484642
Photograph © John West
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SARkaaapproach1000.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	8617  

Last edited by John West; 06-09-2014 at 06:21 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Several days ago I uploaded the attached file and it was rejected for "awkward angle" or something like that. I was a bit pissed. The awkwardness was not immediately apparently to me, so I appealed since I thought it was a nice image. While the image was in appeal limbo, I decided to see if maybe the screener had something. Bingo. It took quite a few side by side variations (glad I wasn't doing this in my old dark room), but finally I decided that the plume of smoke defined the visual sense of level, so I lined things up with that. It definitely looked better. The original also had poor color. I think the result is much more "comfortable" visually, and the color balance is better. In the mean time my appeal was generously granted (the original was not all that bad), so I uploaded a revised version. But net net, the screener was right, there was a better version of the image to be had. Thanks.
Thanks for what? We can all use a second set of eyes on our images but in this case, the issue that resulted in a specific screener rejecting the image has not changed. A perceived and discretionary perspective of an "awkward angle" remains. You should be thanking Chris Kilroy for setting up an appeal process and then ponder, contrary to your applaud, just why an image with bad color and an unlevel horizon was allowed through the cracks.

/Mitch

Great image, btw! Maybe we can thank RP for listening long enough to implement more encouraging rejections.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

No question the process is imperfect, we have commented on that at great length on this forum. Stuff gets rejected for nit picking reasons, and a lot of stuff gets on that shouldn't, and there is little or no response from the screeners. But in this case, I'm thankful that this rocky process resulted in a better image. I came out ahead, at least this one time, and for that I'm willing to thank the screener who caught an issue that was not obvious to me. Whether the original deserved to get in one can debate, there certainly are much worse in the data base....a terrible justification. Anyway, this time I'm a happy camper. Tomorrow is another day!
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
miningcamper1

What bad color? Given that the sun is obviously very low in the sky, shouldn't a warm color balance be expected?
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Ron Flanary

I do see John's point, and the shot that was accepted is much better all around.

But--is this an excessively nit-picky process as it now stands. Yes. This is obviously a stunning image at a great and exotic location. While John's original upload was rejected, at the same time, RP.net probably accepted two dozen rather bland sunny day road crossing shots of NS, CSX or BNSF freights. I, for one, think the content frequently trumps some minor issue with the image.

But---that's just my opinion...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
But--is this an excessively nit-picky process as it now stands. Yes. This is obviously a stunning image at a great and exotic location. While John's original upload was rejected, at the same time, RP.net probably accepted two dozen rather bland sunny day road crossing shots of NS, CSX or BNSF freights. I, for one, think the content frequently trumps some minor issue with the image.

But---that's just my opinion...
I agree with you, but nauseatingly boring wedgies have a place on RP, too (So other people say)

While it may have been a nice scene, I think the accepted one is a much better version which made the effort to get it in worthwhile.

One of my PCA / SC's was originally a reject, and I stewed a bit over it before making the correction. Once I did, they were right, and it did indeed improve it. So it goes.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Several days ago I uploaded the attached file and it was rejected for "awkward angle" or something like that. I was a bit pissed.

But net net, the screener was right, there was a better version of the image to be had. Thanks. Here is the final version which can be compared to where it all started:
The accepted looks much better, John. It has a nice pop to it. Oh, and thanks for leveling it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
While it may have been a nice scene, I think the accepted one is a much better version which made the effort to get it in worthwhile.

Loyd L.
The accepted one was accepted on appeal, not because the screener pointed out issues that John fixed. John fixed those AFTER it was accepted and the perceived "awkward angle" remains. In a way, John is saying - thanks for nitpicking my image and then later accepting it with poor color and unlevel horizon on appeal.

I'd say, lol, instead - thanks Chris for the appeal procedure. Now, let's work on the consistency issue as my unlevel and poor color accepted shot might have really frustrated a few regular patrons had I not, personally, corrected it.

But, then again, I'm much more concerned with what I do NOT see on RP, then what I do see do to either unmerited rejections or rejections worded in such a way to deter patrons from posting. The new rejections are definitely a step in the right direction.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

I think the awkward angle was BS to begin with. I guess the appeal was strictly granted on that merit, and the color and other rejections weren't a factor in the decision.

However he got there, John uploaded a superior version, and all is well in the world.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

While I agree "awkward angle" is a weak rejection reason, I would like to propose "awkward teenager," which I feel strongly is a fair one.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote