Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
willig

Default Canon 5Dsr

Does anyone have a Canon 5Dsr? Any comments about it for rail photography?
I'm wondering about getting one to replace my 5D mk2. Or, in reality, to replace my 5D mk1 and cascade my mk2 to back up status.

I only use "L" lenses.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
Does anyone have a Canon 5Dsr? Any comments about it for rail photography?
I'm wondering about getting one to replace my 5D mk2. Or, in reality, to replace my 5D mk1 and cascade my mk2 to back up status.

I only use "L" lenses.

Seems like a lot of money tied up just to take pictures of choo-choos. Not that I'm one to talk, I guess.

I do use a Nikon D800E, which has 36mp. I sell portraits, do a few weddings, and take other photos for clients. The ability to make 3 ft. enlargements has given my little side business a boost. It would be silly for me to have bought this camera just to take photos to mostly just put on the internet.

I'll add one more thing. I was using a Nikon D7100 24mp camera. It took me nearly three months to start taking photos with the D800E that I was really happy with. Part of the reason was some of my lenses weren't quite up to the task (and these were all modern Nikon pro lenses.) Mostly, the high resolution camera showed every flaw and mistake. At first it was hard for me to get truly sharp photos despite fine tuning every lens. I quickly decided that using a tripod was pretty much mandatory with this camera, and with that my results rapidly improved. Finally, I spent about $1,500 on the camera (I always buy used,) but ended up spending over $5,000 on new state of art lenses. I've been able to sell enough photos to recover all that, fortunately.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned

I'm apparently so far removed from having recent gear...

My main bodies are Canon 40D and a 5D mark 1
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

I tested the 5DS. The high resolution was very cool. In bright to medium light you will not get sharper results. However, this high pixel count hampered low light work, which is key for me. Basically it negated the value of going to a full frame camera for low light gathering. Also my older Mac could not open the 5DS’s particular iteration of CR2 and it choked on the huge files. Therefore I would have to agree with the statement that these cameras are really for photo studio work where there is plenty of light and the goal is the highest image quality possible. The 5DS R (which I have not used) with the optical low pass filter removed would get the same evaluation only more so. The 5DS R has the highest possible resolution but you have at your highest level at detecting moiré situations. Brick walls, other architecture patterns, clothing, all could be a nightmare.
At this time the fantastic, reliable, world's best selling working pro DSLR, the Canon 5D Mark III would be my choice. (Unless you go up to the 1D X series. I love the sensor of the 1D C but that is another story.)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Noct Foamer

A side by side comparision of the 5DIII with the 5DS showing you are correct that the more dense the sensor pixels, the less ability for low noise ISO, but the difference isn't great in this case. (Medium format digital gets around that by having larger sensor with larger pixels.) Just for fun I threw in the Nikon D810. (Note that D800E has nearly identical performance at half the price.)

DxO comparision:
A side by side comparision of the 5DIII with the 5DS showing you are correct that the more dense the sensor pixels, the less ability for low noise ISO. (Medium format digital gets around that by having larger sensor with larger pixels.)
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compa...__1008_963_795

DxO comparision using Sigma 50mm f1.4A lens:
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compar..._436_1306_1009

There is a tremendous difference in sharpness (expressed as resolution), but as Dennis alludes that doesn't tell all the story of how useful a camera would be for outdoor photography. (The Nikon has higher ISO and dynamic range, for instance.) For fashion, product, or studio photography the 5DSr would be a great choice. As a "general use" outdoor camera it would certainly work. (With state of art lenses and tripod.)

These kinds of lab tests are interesting to look over, but all in all I kind of think that camera performance is past the point where we are likely to see much of a difference, at least at normal print enlargements. I kind of think of them as a swimming pool. One pool is 10 ft. deep, another is 30 ft. deep. One is deeper than another, yes, but both are over your head. It kind of comes down to which one is more convenient or you simply like better.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 03-19-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

As a motion picture camera assistant, I shot hundreds of tests using the world's finest movie camera's, lenses and film.
DxO and the like certainly are valid and helpful in your decision making.
But in the end for me is how well does it fit my workflow and most importantly, "What does it look like?"
If it looks good to me, I am sold.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
DxO and the like certainly are valid and helpful in your decision making.
But in the end for me is how well does it fit my workflow and most importantly, "What does it look like?"
If it looks good to me, I am sold.
Yes. My D800E is my technically best camera, but on trips I often just bring my vintage 1942 Leica IIIc camera and 1940s lenses. It's compact and light to carry, I like the image quality I get shooting big cities with b&w film, and..............it just looks cool! I'm under no illusion I'm going to be able to make 3 ft. enlargements, but I do have a lot of fun with it.

Kent in SD
Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
willig

Thanks to all you chappies. Your thoughts pretty well cement what I suspected. This is really a top-notch studio camera. I don't shoot in a studio and usually in lighting which is rather less than gradely.

I think I'll wait for the rumoured soon-to-be announced 5d mk4 making an appearance before I think about signing a big cheque.
No problem about the money, I'll just sell another kidney. I've sold three already since Christmas!
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
spacetrain1983

I use a Nikon Coolpix L340 for every railfan trip. Not sure exactly where it stands on the quality scale, but it takes images of up to around 20.2 megapixels.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:14 AM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
I use a Nikon Coolpix L340 for every railfan trip. Not sure exactly where it stands on the quality scale, but it takes images of up to around 20.2 megapixels.
The Nikon Coolpix L340 has a 1/2.3" sensor with a 20.2 MP. This is a step up from any phone in that you have a larger sensor, an actual zoom, increased control, loads of convenience, and good image quality for it's class. While others are complaining of their heavy camera, you are smiling at your nice photos.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The 5DS R has the highest possible resolution but you have at your highest level at detecting moiré situations. Brick walls, other architecture patterns, clothing, all could be a nightmare.
Thanks Dennis. It has been a while since I've seen that word (moiré) used here in the forums. Well done

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote