Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
Ween

Default Anyone else get a TRAINS DVD?

So I get home from work today and there's a package from TRAINS magazine waiting for me. I open it up and it's a DVD entitled 'Ultimate Railroading DVD Series: Big Power'. Sweet, I don't remember ordering anything, but I read the enclosed material and find out that if I want to keep this DVD, I have to send them $9.95, and if I don't want to pay, I have to mail the DVD back to them in an enclosed pre-paid envelope.

My question is...isn't this a little pretentious? I'm kind of peeved that they would send this and if I don't want it, I have to follow detailed instructions and take time out of my day to send it back to them.

What's to say that it didn't get lost in the mail getting to me? Or me sending it back? If they never get it back, are they going to charge my credit card $9.95 and send me the next installment?

I do believe TRAINS customer service is going to be getting an e-mail from me over this matter. This is worse than a telemarketer calling me at dinner time...

Last edited by Ween; 09-18-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
CNWFreak

I haven't recieved one from Trains, yet. In the past I have recieved The Dream, Plan, Build series from Model Railroader. It pretty much had the same deal with sending it back and all that. Only got sent 4 of the 7, maybe they took the hint when I sent the other ones back.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Ween

Looking at the addresses (all PO Boxes in Minneapolis, not WI), I'm starting to think this is a scam...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

I've had this happen in relation to other magazine I have subscribed too. Personally, I believe no company can send you something along with a slip of paper saying you must purchase it. It just doesn't make sense and as you stated, pretentious. You have every right to keep it, as I have with similar items. Look at it as really good junk mail. If they try to charge you, who's to say that is didn't just get lost in the mail. It will just be a he said/she said sort of thing and it will get dissovled as there is no proof anybody recieved anything. I believe when companies do this sort of thing, they expect not to get them back but only do it to try to drum up sales of similar products.

For the record, after keeping the products, I heard no such response from the company.

Just my two cents though...

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Christopher Muller

Model Railroader did this to me once... I subscribe to MR and received the DVD in the very same fasion you have. I watched the DVD and thought it was pretty good. The wording of the attached letter said something to the extent as it was a gift and if I wanted to receive further installments I would have to pay. I kept the DVD and a month later received a collections notice. The DVD was being mailed back to them the same day.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
PLEzero

I am no lawyer, but, I do not believe they can send you material and require you to pay for it or send it back.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Mike B.
Banned

Send the case back empty.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #8
Ween

I wrote the Customer Service off the TRAINS websiteand got a reply today:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting us regarding the Ultimate Railroading DVD you received. This is a legitimate promotion that was sent to you. We apologize if the alternate address it was mailed from caused some confusion.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
JimThias

Chris, the response really doesn't answer much, does it?!

I got the same DVD, but I plan on keeping it, free of charge, as it was a GIFT to me. I didn't order it, nor did anyone else. They sent it to me unsolicited, therefore I look at it as a gift and mine to keep for no charge. I believe there is a law protecting consumers regarding this.

A company sends me something without me ordering it and then expects me to MAKE AN EFFORT to send it back if I don't want it? Oh, hell no.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
I believe there is a law protecting consumers regarding this.
There probably is, but I've read statements from people saying they received an invoice later on expecting payment. I don't want to take the chance of getting bad credit over something stupid like this, especially since TRAINS has my credit card info, etc. etc. Laws are good, but who's going to enforce it in something like this?

I sent that scat back, after watching it of course...it was just a tad outdated (SD90MACs are new!) for me. Future headache alieviated...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
bnsf sammy

I am under the impression that the free DVD that I recieved is a gift and if I wanted more DVDs, then I must sent the money. According to the letter, the only reason I should send the DVD back is for Trains to re-send it to another subscriber in hopes that he will want the collection.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #12
NSFan14

I dont rember any DVD that I got with a mag. Was it in the NEW SUNSET ROUTE MAG?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
I dont rember any DVD that I got with a mag. Was it in the NEW SUNSET ROUTE MAG?
No, it was a seperate package, as I worte here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
So I get home from work today and there's a package from TRAINS magazine waiting for me. I open it up and it's a DVD entitled 'Ultimate Railroading DVD Series: Big Power'.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #14
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
No, it was a seperate package, as I worte here:
Ohhh ok sorry bout that!