Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
yadkinrailfan91

Default Shortline short trip today, & cloudy shots?

Hello everyone,

As much as I like trains, and class one railroads, I think that shortlines are the best out of all of them. There is one particular shortline, I am very fond of, named The Yadkin Valley Railroad. It spans over 3 counties and is nestled in the foothills-mountains of Northwestern NC. Only about 15-20 miles from my house. We are finnaly out of school for Christmas break, and Today, Dec-21-07, it was cloudy, rainy, cold, and wet. In my opinion perfect weather for chasing and taking photos of your favorite shortline railroad.

So I ventured out with my trusty "dont laugh, Fujifilm S5600", up to grab some photos of the action going on around Elkin NC. I got there, and seen the Elkin switcher heading west towards Roaring river to do its daily switching chores and followed it up the road.

Photos, turned out pretty well in my opinion.

First shot, taken at Roaring River, at the Tyson feed mill plant: rejected for poor lighting.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=460427&key=0

Second shot, taken near where the first one was: rejected for the same thing.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=32664211

Third shot, was: rejected for yet again the same thing.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=460425&key=0

And last but not least, my fourth shot, rejected again for the same thing.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=542588366

In my opinion, I really like the cloudy, dreary, Black and white, shortline type photo's. Just was wanting some opinions on what yall think about them. I guess there is not much you can do about cloudy, backlit photos.

Thanks alot, in advance.

Clint Renegar

My Railpictures
________
DX5

Last edited by yadkinrailfan91; 04-15-2011 at 06:26 AM.
yadkinrailfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Werkur

Just a few words..., i liked all four photos, backlit is what i have for few rail shots and cosidered good.

About weather not much can do, unfortunately the sun must be on the top to works as database acceptable, and i got more rejections than acceptances, i know the way you feel...

Black & white are very good to me, an artistic value that needs more consideration by screeners.
Werkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

All four images appeared to me to be too dark. I'm not saying that lightening them will get them in, but to my vision, they were too dark, even considering the conditions under which they were taken.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

The composition is dead on in all four shots. Shot #1 might not some leveling and I'm not sure Shot 4 will ever get in the database because it's too wide on an ugly day. Overall, these miight be the best shots I have seen of the Yadkin Valley Railroad.

Now my monitor sucks, so if someone says they are too dark, I can't argue with that one way or the other. I think the first three shots, esp. the first two, are ones you want to tweak to see if they can make it in. RP is nto the end all in railroad photography, and these are four shots to be extremely proud of.

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkinrailfan91
In my opinion, I really like the cloudy, dreary, Black and white, shortline type photo's. Just was wanting some opinions on what yall think about them. I guess there is not much you can do about cloudy, backlit photos.
I don't care for them myself. The shots don't say anything, they don't have the interesting feel of better bad weather shots. They don't have the stronger colors of a rain shot. (BTW, I think BW makes a shot from an overcast day even less likely to be interesting; it removes one dimension of variation within the image.)

There are interesting cloudy shots, interesting dreary shots if they involve fog or rain, interesting BW, interesting shortline shots. Overcast tends to kill things unless they are really strong in some other dimension. These are fine but there is nothing that lifts them up out of the morass. Even if there were, for RP one way to thing about things is that if you could go to the same spots and reshoot in better light, chances of acceptance are low. That is RP, you and I may have different preferences but it is not our site.

The second and third I like the compositions and they will work very well in sun, or snow, or maybe rain. Pure dull overcast, tough to do!

If you are happy with them, that is the most important thing and I congratulate you for that. I take lots of shots that I am less than happy with.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

First of all, the sun doesn't need to be out to make a photo acceptable to RP so that statement was just plain WRONG.

Second of all, they are all "pretty well" except for being a tad dark as was already said. With the exception of the last one they are all too "train focused" to be accepted despite the clouds. I think if you had concentrated on working more of the industries in as prominent subjects in the photos you would have a better chance. Now, you may not have wanted to do this and thats perfectly fine, shoot for how you want to shoot, but if there is little more than the train on a cloudy day, your chances of acceptance are slim.

They are great for a collection because they are of a shortline, and you have documentation of what the engine and rolling stock look like, now lets get some scenery and life into them. Tell a story, make the viewer see past the clouds and dreariness.

Quote:
The Elkin Switcher spots some cars at the Tyson feed mill . . .
Sorry to sound harsh but where is it? Tell the story with the photo not the caption, that is to clarify what your audience is looking at.

My dos pennies.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 12-22-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

Are we all looking at the same photographs? Maybe the first one is too train focused, but the second one stands out composition-wise in my mind. The third one might be too similiar to the second one, but the fourth one grew on me the second time around.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 12-22-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
Werkur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Now my monitor sucks
Joe
Joe,

When you say your monitor sucks, you are reffering about some trouble with that or it is a methafor...?

Just getting to understand better...

Werner
Old 12-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Joe cannot answer as his monitor has sucked him in and has transported him into another dimension.

Seriously, he simply means that it is bad.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkur
Black & white are very good to me, an artistic value that needs more consideration by screeners.
A note of disagreement, please. (And Werner, I am not piling on you, I enjoy discussion and hope you take it appropriately.)

BW in and of itself is not an "artistic value." Good BW enhances an image by removing distracting color variation in favor of tonal/contrast variation. Most images do not improve by being converted to BW and BW should not be considered a plus for RP acceptance or general photographic pleasure, in my view. BW is not an artistic value but rather part of the toolkit for conveying artistic value (light, form, pattern, etc.).

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

OK. My monitor is not any good. It's too dark and the contrast is bad. It's very old and replaced a flat screen that one day decided to stop working.

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

To back J up on the B&W discussion, I as a screener am a lot more strict when it comes to B&W images uploaded. The blacks need to be black and the whites need to be white as I said in an earlier thread. I can tell if someone has simply hit "desaturate" and uploaded, nuh uh, there is no contrast there. I feel people just use it as a loophole to get substandard photos accepted when they don't know the first thing about how to convert to B&W or WHY they should. Now, I have actually given people tips on rejected photos that they should go the route of B&W because it will enhance the photo.

And Joe, I'm actually with you on the second one. I was actually a little surprised to see it rejected, but again they are all a tad underexposed anyway. I think if he had gone a bit wider it would have brighted it up and shown more of that pile which caught my eye in the background. You of all people should know sometimes wider is better.

#2 or 3 is growing on me as well. I'm sticking with my brighter and wider solution though. As for the 4th one, it appears to be a bit of a going away shot instead of a side shot.

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 12-22-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkinrailfan91
Third shot, was: rejected for yet again the same thing.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=460425&key=0

I really like this shot. It does need to be lightened a little in some of the darker areas, and I'd probably crop it a little tighter at the bottom so the road is not in the photo.

I do agree with you about shortline photos. Sure, sunny is nice to have, but there's something about darker lighting on a shortline, especially one doing some switching work and whatnot, that really makes it feel like good old-fashioned, dark and dirty railroading.

Not in b/w, but damp and moody nonetheless:

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Joe the Photog

I see your point more now. Like I said, my monitor is no good. I'm actually processing all of my shots on a lap top, transferring it to the desk top via CF card and loading them from there. I literally do not edit pictures here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
You of all people should know sometimes wider is better.
If we're talking lenses, then yes. If we're talking women at Wal Mart, then no!

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
Werkur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
A note of disagreement, please. (And Werner, I am not piling on you, I enjoy discussion and hope you take it appropriately.)
Taking appropriately...i also enjoy discussion, disagreement of many ways has a lot to learn of anything arguing.

So, let us understand how works the rejection guideline in RP, sounds different of Airfleets to me.

Airfleets rejection guideline:

Bad size ratio;
Photo overexposed;
Photo underexposed;
The pic is not straight to the horizon;
The subject is not centered in the frame;
Sharpeness;
Backlit;
Bad motif (If the shot is only part of the whole subject);
Bad cropping.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I see your point more now. Like I said, my monitor is no good. I'm actually processing all of my shots on a lap top, transferring it to the desk top via CF card and loading them from there. I literally do not edit pictures here.
I was going to ask that, too, thanks for answering!
Quote:
If we're talking lenses, then yes. If we're talking women at Wal Mart, then no!

Joe
Night = made. Hahahahaha! That was so great!

Old 12-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #17
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
::collapses onto floor and begins to convulse::

Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
The two have some differences (can someone provide the screen capture of what the screener looks at, I don't see my copy) but let me comment on this one. RP is much more of a "rule of thirds" place, as, I think, is photography in general. An airplane in the sky, a closeup, in some sense the equivalent of what in trains we call a "roster shot," centering is appropriate. For many photographs, however, and not just trains but photography in general, the shot is often more interesting if the subject is not centered but rather is somewhat off center (and has an appropriate/interesting or at least complementary and not distracting background), in a "thirds" position.

Think of two vertical lines and two horizontal lines through an image, each drawn 1/3 away from one side and 2/3 away from the other. The four points where these lines intersect are the rule of thirds points for positioning image subjects.

Spend some time looking at RP images and you will see what I mean.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #19
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=407366974

If you click the link you will see the full list of all the rejection reasons and explanations, which the screeners view doesn't show.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #20
Werkur

Quote:
The two have some differences (can someone provide the screen capture of what the screener looks at, I don't see my copy) but let me comment on this one. RP is much more of a "rule of thirds" place, as, I think, is photography in general. An airplane in the sky, a closeup, in some sense the equivalent of what in trains we call a "roster shot," centering is appropriate. For many photographs, however, and not just trains but photography in general, the shot is often more interesting if the subject is not centered but rather is somewhat off center (and has an appropriate/interesting or at least complementary and not distracting background), in a "thirds" position.

Think of two vertical lines and two horizontal lines through an image, each drawn 1/3 away from one side and 2/3 away from the other. The four points where these lines intersect are the rule of thirds points for positioning image subjects.

Spend some time looking at RP images and you will see what I mean.
For an aircraft, subject centered in the frame is important because we like shots without big areas of sky, below and/or up of image(airplane), and the same for shots on the ground.

For trains, i'm just trying to understand that, and this afternoon, i was logged out of forum, viewing many rail shots in the databse for realize about the centered in the frame reason. Trains has a long distance from the roster till the end of the train, so its hard to be centered, correct me if i'm wrong pointed.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:

If you click the link you will see the full list of all the rejection reasons and explanations, which the screeners view doesn't show.
Helmstetters? You guys also need a category for wrong information!!!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:

Andrew, can we go down that list and check all the ones that apply to your photo?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #23
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Andrew, can we go down that list and check all the ones that apply to your photo?
Knock yourselves out!!!

Quote:
Helmstetters? You guys also need a category for wrong information!!!
Ha ha ha Way ahead of you..."- Bad Info: The locomotive/railroad/location or other data you entered for the photo is incorrect."

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 12-22-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
For trains, i'm just trying to understand that, and this afternoon, i was logged out of forum, viewing many rail shots in the databse for realize about the centered in the frame reason. Trains has a long distance from the roster till the end of the train, so its hard to be centered, correct me if i'm wrong pointed.
It's more general than that. For example, if the shot is head-on there is no trailing train or width is not an issue but off-center is nonetheless often preferable.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 184209
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 173929

Although centered works, especially if the surrounding add something of interest, such as this frame-within-frame. (Since this is a wedge, however, to some extent the eye goes to the cab first, which is not at the center but rather on the right third.)

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 171158

I would suggest a good photography book, such as Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" or perhaps, since we are talking about composition and not all of photography, "Learning to see Creatively"

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-22-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #25
Werkur

Quote:

A few words...this shot is for sure a record on rejection. I forgot to mention blurry, we have that in Airfleets rejection guideline, and oversharpened is part of a non standard reason, not used most of the times.

If your shot was an aircraft being screened in Airfleets, i would reject with only one reason....photo underexposed, don't need more words than it.

Last edited by Werkur; 12-22-2007 at 01:35 AM.