Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
coborn35

Default PEQ? But How?

Yea I know I've had alot of threads lately but how in the world is this PEQ? Did they hit the wrong button?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=791020&key=0
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
crazytiger

Do you have earlier pics? I would say, to take one when the GN had just gotten out of the trestle, and crop it a LOT tighter. Its problem is the massive open spaces on top and bottom. I know you lose some of the train. But you have to. Something like this, only with the train moved back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	9474.1268434385.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	5262

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 03-13-2010 at 04:00 AM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
coborn35

Yes, but I wanted to show the whole train.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

PEQ is 100% the screeners opinion or preferences, nothing more, nothing less. What may make it by one screener will not make it past another.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

With a special run you can't pick the weather, But you can pick the spot and it's a good one. Think the framing sucks not that I would have shot it the same way you did, What sucks is the water is a hole lot of boring and thats why cropping may work here. Think you may have a better shot next time by trying a more 3/4 shot, That will give you less water. You want to show the whole train but it's the whole shot you're trying to sell to the screeners.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

The first thing I saw is that there's almost no color variation between the sky and the water. It's just a shade of grey. Very bland. That's not your fault, other than kowing what works and what doesn't. The conditions may not have been in your favor to shoot that shot on that day.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
With a special run you can't pick the weather, But you can pick the spot... Think you may have a better shot next time by trying a more 3/4 shot, That will give you less water. You want to show the whole train but it's the whole shot you're trying to sell to the screeners.
Agreed. When scouting for this trip, the perfect shot would have been from the sidewalk of the Route 2 bridge. Dave Schauer shot it from the north side, but I have yet to see any shots from the south side of the drawbridge.

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 293969
Photograph © Dave Schauer

- Chris