Old 03-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
AmtrakFan1093

Default Poor Aesthetic Quality

This was a weird rejection I got for this photo. The screener outright told me it was of poor aesthetic quality. Not by a long shot. Don't you think this should have been accepted? In your opinion, where do you think the screener made a mistake?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...33&key=3348995

Last edited by AmtrakFan1093; 03-11-2016 at 06:29 AM.
AmtrakFan1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
JRMDC

No idea, other than maybe the screener doesn't care for the person being right in front of the trolley, as a safety rather than aesthetic issue. Or maybe the screener thinks both people prominent in the street are awkwardly placed and had no rejection reason that matched other than PAQ. Just guessing, I suppose.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
miningcamper1

My eyes went straight to in-front-of-trolley guy. Do you have another frame? If not, it seems like a re-shoot wouldn't be too difficult.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
AmtrakFan1093

That's a good point Minin' camper. I will check to see if I kept the next frame.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
RobJor

Maybe more of the Bullet effect, more street in front, and a "different" set of pedestrians would have really helped. People in street photography should be interesting in some way? and like mentioned, the guy seems almost stuck on the car. Railroad Magazine ran some interesting street car scenes.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
AmtrakFan1093

This picture has a boat on the horizon and a BMW in it. I think that suggests "San Francisco" in a unique but universal way. But I think you are right RobJor, needs more street perhaps.

Here's the preceding pic. The pedestrian blocks the train even worse unfortunately. But I think that heightens the drama--what's going to happen to him?

Last edited by AmtrakFan1093; 03-11-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
Noct Foamer

Gotta wonder what that guy is doing. Trolly obviously is going in that direction.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
AmtrakFan1093

Exactly. Typical San Francisco entitlement. He's not even in the crosswalk. But it also emphasizes the size of the trolley, which creates a sense of mass. So telling.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 AM   #9
nikos1

looks like a crosswalk to me......if the guy infront of the trolley is causing the photo to be rejected on "safety" grounds that would be truly stupid and pathetic.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
RobJor

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=568981&nseq=5

This one today has the hills(bullet effect), girls, golden glow, reflection off rails, leading lines and compression which works well. While there are pedestrians crossing they have visual separation from the car. Everything you connect with SF.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmtrakFan1093 View Post
The screener outright told me it was of poor aesthetic quality.
How did the screener outright tell you? In the screener notes? What were his exact words?

Quote:
This picture has a BMW in it. I think that suggests "San Francisco" in a unique but universal way.
WHAT?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Exactly. Typical San Francisco entitlement. He's not even in the crosswalk. But it also emphasizes the size of the trolley, which creates a sense of mass. So telling.

You hate San Francisco so much, what are you doing up there shooting pics? Go somewhere that you don't need to mock the locals with your superiority.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

Good find, Jim, no BMWs in Michigan, right? None in New Jersey either.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Gotta wonder what that guy is doing. Trolly obviously is going in that direction.

Kent in SD
Trolley is obviously stopped at cross walk which he is walking over (in the vicinity of, for argument's sake). Pic is zoomed in, making it all appear far more dangerous than it is.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
You hate San Francisco so much, what are you doing up there shooting pics? Go somewhere that you don't need to mock the locals with your superiority.
I was just joking around Freericks as to the guy crossing the street...yes the man has just gotten off the streetcar and is crossing the street as the streetcar engineer is about to close the doors.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #16
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
How did the screener outright tell you? In the screener notes? What were his exact words?
Here's the quote from the screener: "Poor Aesthetic Quality: This rejection means that the photo is of low aesthetic qualities.."
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
I was just joking around Freericks as to the guy crossing the street...yes the man has just gotten off the streetcar and is crossing the street as the streetcar engineer is about to close the doors.
Sorry I didn't realize that. Problem with text posts, can't read what's in the voice.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #18
Decapod401

Quote:
Here's the quote from the screener: "Poor Aesthetic Quality: This rejection means that the photo is of low aesthetic qualities.."
That's not a screener note. That is a rejection reason, and I would bet that everyone who posts here has received it from time to time.

For future reference it's considered to be proper form here to post a link to the rejection URL, so everybody can provide objective response to the actual image posted and the actual reason(s) for rejection.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 AM   #19
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
That's not a screener note. That is a rejection reason, and I would bet that everyone who posts here has received it from time to time.

For future reference it's considered to be proper form here to post a link to the rejection URL, so everybody can provide objective response to the actual image posted and the actual reason(s) for rejection.
Yes that's correct. There was no "screener note" that know of. So it's pretty unambiguous I think.

I think attaching the pictures is preferable rather than rejection links, because the rejection links expire after a few days and then there's nothing to refer to for discussion...
Old 03-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #20
JimThias

So what's up with the BMW comment? How in the world does it "suggest 'San Francisco' in a unique but universal way"?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:19 AM   #21
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
So what's up with the BMW comment? How in the world does it "suggest 'San Francisco' in a unique but universal way"?
Hello, Jim. Thank you for your interest in my artworks. It's not the BMW alone that suggests San Francisco, it's the BMW set against the ocean background, with the streetcar, and the giant ship looming on the horizon, which together suggests San Franciso: it's long-past maritime origins and nature, it's beautiful views, and of course the many advertisements and movies which have been filmed with fancy cars on its steep hills and there is also the issue currently facing the city of rents going up up up and the tension between the new tech economy whose workers are gentrifying the entire city of pushing out residents. Don't you think the photograph captures the ying and the yang of Frisco?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #22
Decapod401

Quote:
I think attaching the pictures is preferable rather than rejection links, because the rejection links expire after a few days and then there's nothing to refer to for discussion...
If a thread about a particular rejection continues for more than seven days, the discussion has digressed significantly from the original post.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:26 AM   #23
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
If a thread about a particular rejection continues for more than seven days, the discussion has digressed significantly from the original post.
That's a good point. But what if a reader in a month, wanting to learn about rejections and understanding how to approach them, starts reading through these old posts? They won't have any reference point visually, b/c the image is gone, that's why your suggested system cannot work. I think you're right but we need to think about the future readers, not just the readers of the now.

Last edited by AmtrakFan1093; 03-11-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:48 AM   #24
Decapod401

Quote:
That's a good point. But what if a reader in a month, wanting to learn about rejections and understanding how to approach them, starts reading through these old posts? They won't have any reference point visually, b/c the image is gone, that's why your suggested system cannot work. I think you're right but we need to think about the future readers, not just the readers of the now.
I'm trying to help you as a newcomer to the Forums, but you seem to have a penchant for ignoring advice and insisting that you know better. I'm out of this discussion. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #25
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
I'm trying to help you as a newcomer to the Forums, but you seem to have a penchant for ignoring advice and insisting that you know better. I'm out of this discussion. Good Luck.
Decapod didn't mean to come across as ignoring advice. If you want me to not post the images I'm happy to oblige you.