Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #26
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
When I talk to a train crew or someone RR related and mention to them that I photograph for RailPictures.net...
Really? Is that a good paying gig?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #27
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker


It still seems quite odd, however, that the location is unknown. They have a photo of a steam locomotive like that and they don't know where they took it? Rather suspicious. I have a feeling your photo probably wasn't the only one stolen.
One of the folders is called "train pix I've taken" implying that all of the other folders contain images not by her. However, the individual shots say not only Collection of Missy G but also Author Missy G, so she is incorrectly claiming authorship. Including one which is more of an oil painting, shown on the picture as by Grif Teller, for which she said Author Missy G.

Could just be ignorant of how to fill in those fields for the many images that she may fully realize are not hers, is putting them on her site just because she likes them, and/or doesn't care much about copyright/use issues on these shots.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
John Ryan
Senior Member
 
John Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I like being able to go away to different states for major events and have people come up to me and go, "Are you Andrew B from RP?" which has happened more times than I can count!
Uh, oh. Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
(Note to other RP contributors take a look at Missy G's photos and see if she stole any of yours).
Is this the same shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=145577

http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=777459

I would hope that rrpixarchives would have the decency to delete Missy G's account based on this and other copyright violations. There's no grey area here; it's obvious to me that she copied another photographer's intellectual property. That itself should be a prima facie breach of copyright laws.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #29
Rich K
Senior Member
 
Rich K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 258
Default

It's nice to see a couple of positive comments about this very nice photo Missy took all by her little self and posted on RRPictureArchives.net. I'm glad Larry and Zach liked it!

Wonder how Dennis Wong likes it?
__________________
Rich K

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #30
John Ryan
Senior Member
 
John Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich K
Wonder how Dennis Wong likes it?
Hard to say.

However, I don't care for it myself. I sent a caustic note to the rrpicturearcives administration and carefully explained how their site was infringing Mr. Wong's property and in violation (three counts) of RailPictures.net's Photo Usage Policy. If they're decent people, they'll delete "Missy G's" account. If they're inept, they'll do nothing. Once again, there is no grey area here.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #31
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,900
Default

Folks;

Don't let this happen to you.

June 12, 2007, according to her -- http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=777459

July 3, 2007 -- http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=801585

Obviously, a lack of practice led to such diminished skills in justa short time. Please keep practicing, regardless of what my sig line says. Otherwise, you could become another Missy G. What else are we to believe since both shots appear in foldres that claim theywere taken by her?


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #32
LSRC Railfan
Senior Member
 
LSRC Railfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 274
Default

While on the subject of Missy G, I would like to let member "Colorado Zephyr" that one of his pictures has been stolen. http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=776169 Where does she get Liberal, KS? I thought the incident happened in Denver, or is that a cover-up location.

Back to the original subject of the thread. I post my pictures here because they show a unique shortline with Alcos that I would like to share with others. I probably would post my work if I lived somewhere else, but I don't know.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #33
rustyrail
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
Is this the same shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=145577

http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=777459

I would hope that rrpixarchives would have the decency to delete Missy G's account based on this and other copyright violations. There's no grey area here; it's obvious to me that she copied another photographer's intellectual property. That itself should be a prima facie breach of copyright laws.
Yep, it's the same shot. Though I'm not condoning her actions (whether intentional or not), she's not claiming original copyright on Mr. Wong's image. The watermark on the bottom of her version on RR Picture Archives states that the image was merely contributed by her.

Grif Teller just happens to be more famous than Mr. Wong at this point in his career.
rustyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #34
NWtoSFO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7
Default

I post because I can. I've learned a lot in a short time about photography here and I've found that this site allows me to share what I've learned. Helps that I enjoy the railroad. I think that posting pics here gives others a chance to see what's going on in other parts of the country, or world. Rare locomotives, different paint schemes and varying landscapes allow people to travel to other places without leaving their chair. I, for one, enjoy traveling other railroads before going to bed.

As far as people stealing my pictures; I'm not too worried. If they do, they do. I have tons of photos that I've saved and given to my dad to view (slow internet connection and he sleeps a lot!). If I find one of my pics in a magazine, I'll take action. But it won't keep me from contributing to this or any other site.

Matthew
__________________
Not many, but my RP.net pics are here
NWtoSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 AM   #35
Northern Limits
Senior Member
 
Northern Limits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 611
Default

I wish I could say, "I post because I take such great shots." But in reality, submitting photos and going through the rejection/correction process has been an incredible learning process.
There are some extremely talented photographers submitting to this website, and RP has high standards. So I submit photos here because it helps me grade my progress as a (rail) photog, and it forces me to think about what I'm doing when I'm out in the field.
__________________
Cheers, Jim.


Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #36
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
I wish I could say, "I post because I take such great shots." But in reality, submitting photos and going through the rejection/correction process has been an incredible learning process.
There are some extremely talented photographers submitting to this website, and RP has high standards. So I submit photos here because it helps me grade my progress as a (rail) photog, and it forces me to think about what I'm doing when I'm out in the field.
X2 Here!

What I've learned from rejection after rejection after rejection has helped tremendously. I'm still a poor example of a photographer, but I'm learning!

Loyd L.
__________________
What used to be is no more

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #37
Rich K
Senior Member
 
Rich K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
The watermark on the bottom of her version on RR Picture Archives states that the image was merely contributed by her.
True, but in the lower right hand corner of this same stolen picture it says. . .

This picture is part of album: Train pix I've taken

Which tells me she claims to have been the original photographer!
__________________
Rich K

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I sent a caustic note to the rrpicturearcives administration and carefully explained how their site was infringing Mr. Wong's property and in violation (three counts) of RailPictures.net's Photo Usage Policy. If they're decent people, they'll delete "Missy G's" account. If they're inept, they'll do nothing. Once again, there is no grey area here.
Looks like it's working:

Quote:
We're Sorry, an error occured.

The Picture ID you requested no longer Exists on this site
Most of the links in the prior posts come up with that message, except for that horrible "through the trees" NS 3417 shot that Joe linked above. That must actually be a photograph by her that no one else wants to claim as theirs.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #39
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,900
Default

That's a start, Jim. But she's also claiming authorship of this shot and others from the 1940s --

http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=775891


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #40
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net
 
John Fladung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
"The best railroad photos on the 'net!". It shows that as a photographer, to make a long story short, I know what I am doing.
~Carl Becker
Interesting. I never thought of it this way before...
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #41
PLEzero
Senior Member
 
PLEzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
Mike B -

Your argument makes absolutely no sense; if I had the motivation to steal your photos I could just as easily steal them from that cute little website you have linked in your sig as if they were on here.

If anything it would be easier to get away with that on a small personal site like yours simply because no one ever looks at those sites. The volume of eyes looking at shots on RP.net acts as a great blanket of protection, think about how many times someone has posted in the forums about seeing someone else's worked stolen because they saw it on the site first.

Your post here always boarder on trolling Mike, and this one is no different. I'm not even going to bother responding to your second post as that is pretty much a straight troll. All I will say, your personal collection is doing a lot less sitting on your hard drive than sitting on this site.
I do not really understand how you took what he posted this way. Your response seems to be a bit of a stretch in an effort to make a point directed more at Mike B than on the topic of discussion. It seems like you are looking for trouble by making accusations that are clearly not his intention after his 2nd post in this discussion. While some of Mike's posts do tend to get people's attention, I would not consider this one of them.

As for the topic itself, it seems to be a legitimate question as to what everyone's motives are behind posting photos to this site. In general, I would have to say that every person that makes the decision to upload a photo is looking for some type of recognition in some way. That is most likely the bottom line behind anyone who uploads to RP. The recognition.
__________________
Brad Morocco
Candyland, PA
My Flickr Photos
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #42
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
I wish I could say, "I post because I take such great shots." But in reality, submitting photos and going through the rejection/correction process has been an incredible learning process.
There are some extremely talented photographers submitting to this website, and RP has high standards. So I submit photos here because it helps me grade my progress as a (rail) photog, and it forces me to think about what I'm doing when I'm out in the field.
Make that a x3.

I still don't consider myself as a photographer. I'm just a railfan with a camera (and binos ). I am enlightened when I see that one of my submissions has gotten accepted, but a rejection doesn't blow my day either. I just like the idea that someone else decides if my shots get accepted or not instead of uploading anything and everything to other sites. This is the only site that I submit to, other than sharing some shots in local forums here and there. I haven't even updated my Yahoo album for a few months. RP says that they have the best RR photos on the net. I know mine aren't the best and I have a lot of learning to do yet, but I am honored to have a few that have been shared on RP. I have only met one fellow contributer in the field, but look forward to meeting any of you other guys in the future.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #43
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Could just be ignorant of how to fill in those fields for the many images that she may fully realize are not hers, is putting them on her site just because she likes them, and/or doesn't care much about copyright/use issues on these shots.
I see some photos over there where the contributor puts "photo by so and so" in the title of the photo - but they leave their own name set as the author. Rarely do I see photos over there that have a different author name then contributor name, so it's probably not a feature well-understood by contributors. In this case she seems to be one who does not realize that she can change the contributor name, and/or she just doesn't care...
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #44
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I still don't consider myself as a photographer. I'm just a railfan with a camera.
IMO, there's no difference there. You take photographs of trains. That's what a train photographer is. I'm not saying that necessarily anyone who takes pictures of trains is a good photographer, but IMO they still are a photographer.

Sorry for repeating "photographer" so much.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #45
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

I can see the difference, or at least what that phrase is referring to. I race go karts when I'm at the amusement park, but that doesn't make me a race car driver. Even though I'm technically racing out there, it's just not the same as real racing...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #46
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,900
Default

I agree with Carl. A photographer takes pictures. While I don't think everyone with a camera is a real photographer, I think if you manage to get your shots at RP, you can define yourself as one. Picture takers are people that post everything they shoot regardless of how bad it is.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #47
SamD
Senior Member
 
SamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
That's a start, Jim. But she's also claiming authorship of this shot and others from the 1940s --

http://ns_futureengineer24.rrpicture...aspx?id=775891


Joe
rrpicturearchives.net has quite a few collections of vintage photographs which the posters may or may not have the copywrite for. But usually those photos have some caption, either on the photo or the album, like "collection of Milwaukee Road photos I bought at an estate sale" or something of that nature. While Missy G's photo doesn't say that, if she actually has physcial position of the original print or slide of that photo, then she's probably safe in posting it.

However, rrpicturearchives.net should have banned her outright for all the pictures she posted that she most definitely doesn't have a shred of a right to. Aside from their bewildering layout and convoluted uploading process, I never had anything in particular against that site, but this casts a poor light on them.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #48
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD
Aside from their bewildering layout and convoluted uploading process, I never had anything in particular against that site, but this casts a poor light on them.
I haven't nothing against their site either, but I avoid browsing anyone's gallery on there because it's SO DAMN SLOW. I can be a very impatient person, and that brings out the worst in me when I try to view anything on there.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #49
Kilroy1313
Senior Member
 
Kilroy1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Luxembourg (Europe)
Posts: 150
Default Good question

Once I put aside that questions about stealing I started uploading my pictures and saw what happened. In fact I didn't ask myself too much about why. I wanted find out by the doing.

One reason might have been, that I needed to change from my website, which really needs some heavy upgrading (which I'm not so eager to do); so far the result shows I did right because in a few months I had so much hits as before in years...

It's a real challenge to work for RailPictures.Net; finding out, what people prefers to see, giving satisfaction by taking these shots; also, there is a learning process about taking better pictures.
It is rewarding to get some echoes from what we place on that server; the pictures resting in peace on my hard disc don't make much noise. - It is frustrating, when the pictures are not at the level they should be, but from the beginning the level is high.

Sometimes I ask myself: will this really go on and on, or end up fast in our fast living era, so we have to realize, that only with a high standard of quality it may continue, - there are enough websites with medium quality pic's.

It amazed me always what strong pictures you may find here, so we have to stay calm (with these endless rejections) and continue to try getting these good pictures together !
__________________
Train pictures at RailPictures.Net
Aircraft pic's at JetPhotos.Net & other pictures at www.photogen.lu
Train-Puzzles
Train-Videos




Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #50
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,048
Default

Reasons I submit photos here are:

1) If you don't share your work, why bother shooting?

2) RP.net is where the quality shots go.

3) I love the fame, money, and women I get from exposure here!
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.