Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking Only Wedgies Accepted Today -

The wedgie screener or screeners are working today, so don't bother with any creative shots.

That tree shot would have been PEQ'd today I think.

Perhaps I will upload some GEVO wedgies to prove my point.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Given RP's usual proclivities, as a matter of logic, no number of accepted GEVO wedgies will prove your point. Just another day on RP.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Given RP's usual proclivities, as a matter of logic, no number of accepted GEVO wedgies will prove your point. Just another day on RP.
I think you are right, so perhaps I will attempt to show that I have a life by watching TV instead.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I think you are right, so perhaps I will attempt to show that I have a life by watching TV instead.
Do you get regular channels behind the orange curtain?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Guilty. Nothing like a good wedgie.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

I'm guilty today myself, but hey, at least it's not a BNSF GEVO!

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 463543
Photograph © Troy Nolen


Update: The midnight shift has arrived and they have stepped outside the wedgie box!

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 463573
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Last edited by troy12n; 12-25-2013 at 03:58 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,191
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

I like the composition in your Thurmond submission, Troy!

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Do you get regular channels behind the orange curtain?
We get whatever the trailer court pays for.

I can sometimes tune in Los Angeles if I use the bigger coat hanger on the left rabbit ear.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking Todays Rejects

Rejected:


Mojave Dawn - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

Rejected:


Silent Rollers - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

Accepted:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463575
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography



And because there are not enough GEVO wedgies in the DB, last but not least:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463578
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-25-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Honest question - if you gents don't like wedgies (especially wedgies of BNSF GEVOs) then why do you post them? I still enjoy seeing them and hence post them.

Not trying to stir the pot. Curious. It's sort of like saying, I made fish for dinner tonight, even though I can't stand fish.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking Because it is all about "me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
.......Curious. It's sort of like saying, I made fish for dinner tonight, even though I can't stand fish.
Well, if you must know - because others like fish, and "I" like the attention.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Well, if you must know - because others like fish, and "I" like the attention.
Very honest answer! Cool.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Mr. Pick
Senior Member
 
Mr. Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 662
Default

I've only submitted two pictures this year. One back in January, and then on a wild hair last night, I submitted a sunny, Gevo wedgie. Just because. I still like wedgies, but then I still like maps and carburetors and charcoal grills too...

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 463552
Photograph © Mr. Pick
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
........I still like wedgies, but then I still like maps and carburetors and charcoal grills too...
Not saying wedgies are bad, but they should not be the standard by which all other railroad photos are evaluated.

People obviously like wedgie shots, however for me, they don't do much for me as an artist.

Although, I do like this one because I got the Amboy crater in the photo and the consist is not something we would see in the LA basin.


Up Bolo Hill - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr


I am sure it will get knocked for bad cropping since there is a little more on the left to get the crater in the frame, than the usual RP submission.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking Not a Wedge - Therefore, Not in the DB

REJECTION: Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.


Danby Road - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr


How silly of me, I accidentally cropped off the whole ass end on this one.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-25-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

If you wanna see a lot of wedgies, just click on "My pics" below this post.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #17
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
And because there are not enough GEVO wedgies in the DB, last but not least:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463578
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
Did you forget your wide lens? Why would you want to take a pic of a cut off train in scenery that probably looks really cool if you zoom out?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Mr. Pick
Senior Member
 
Mr. Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Not saying wedgies are bad, but they should not be the standard by which all other railroad photos are evaluated.

People obviously like wedgie shots, however for me, they don't do much for me as an artist.
I agree with you whole heartedly.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Did you forget your wide lens? Why would you want to take a pic of a cut off train in scenery that probably looks really cool if you zoom out?
I was looking to do something with the cross buck and using the road as a vanishing point to draw the viewer's eye through the scene.

I already have a wider angle at this location without the empty dirt in the foreground.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 431507
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


And

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 441475
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-26-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I was looking to do something with the cross buck and using the road as a vanishing point to draw the viewer's eye through the scene.
In the photo Jim referenced: I see no crossbuck. I see no road. I see a cutoff shot with powerlines.

It's certainly a world beater in the views and favorites though

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
In the photo Jim referenced: I see no crossbuck. I see no road. I see a cutoff shot with powerlines.

It's certainly a world beater in the views and favorites though

Loyd L.
Opps, looking on phone and thought he was talking about the original shot.

Wide angle huh?

We can do that.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post


Up Bolo Hill - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr


I am sure it will get knocked for bad cropping since there is a little more on the left to get the crater in the frame, than the usual RP submission.
Well, as predicted this one was rejected for bad cropping (cropped wider on the left to include Amboy crater).

I surmise I have not reached Dannamen status yet, since simple wedgies are mostly what I am allowed to submit.

On another note:

Jim, here is that wide angle Cajon view that you were asking about.

I was using my 24-105mm rather than the 16-35mm, so this is as wide as it gets.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463760
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

I suck and most of my stuff isn't wedges
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Jim, here is that wide angle Cajon view that you were asking about.

I was using my 24-105mm rather than the 16-35mm, so this is as wide as it gets.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463760
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
Perfect. Now fix the date on one of those photos. It's the same train but you have two different dates.

And I don't know why you bothered to submit the cut-off shot if you had this one.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

No crater for you!

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 463822
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


The wider version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3672212...n/photostream/

* * * * *

And another at Danby Road.


Danby Road Looking North - [Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.