Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
troy12n
Banned

Default Burglarized!

I decided to take a little trip up to Georgia for the weekend, just got a call from the Sheriff's department telling me my house and the one next to me had been burglarized. My parents live about 30 minutes away and have a key, so the were kind enough to meet the cop at the house (they apparently cant go into a broken window(!?) to let them in and do their investigation.

My thoughts went straight to a few collectibles I have (a coin and stamp collection) and my photos both print and digital.

Once my folks got there, I told them where to look for a couple things, and it looks like the only thing taken was my stamp collection, which had hundreds of stamps going back to the 1800's which my grandfather gave me before he died. I had my camera gear and laptop with me, if this had been done on a weekday, they would have gotten that too.

They were able to jimmy my side gate, then used a bat or crowbar or something and broke a side window and climbed into the house through it, same with the neighbors house.

This totally sucks, I live in a nice neighborhood and dont expect stuff like this to happen. I guess I am lucky they didnt take more, or destroy the house.

They apparently didnt even take my checkbook which was sitting on my nightstand. Also, 24 hour on call glass repair guy charged me $350 to fix the window (WTF!).

When I get home tomorrow, I will go through and more thoroughly do an inventory. I hope nothing else got taken.

Anyone else go through this?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
JRMDC

Wow, so sorry to hear that.

My neighborhood, also "nice", has seen a rash of muggings of people walking home from the subway. Police suspect there may be a spotter car in use to find targets. If I work any kind of late now, I take a taxi to my door.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
mark woody

Wow Troy thats bad news hope it doesn't get any worse.

I used to work midnight shift at a 24hr service station, got to know all the brain surgeons in town, I tell my wife if one day we are walking down the street and some guy walking towards us all of a sudden ends up under a taxi or other vehicle, just keep walking and don't look back it will only be kharma catching up, and I will try to stop smiling.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Sorry to hear that, Troy. I live in an apartment complex still, so break-ins are a big worry of mine. We've had some around (and car break-ins, too). I worry about that as well as some idiot burning the place down by going to sleep while smoking or by grilling out on their balcony, which someone apparently did over the weekend.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Mr. Pick

Hate to hear that Troy. Nobody needs that kind of a headache to deal with. I live in a "nice" neighborhood also, but we recently had a rash of car break-ins happening at night. It can, and does, happen everywhere, unfortunately. Hope they catch whoever did it and maybe can get your stamp collection and other things back.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
KevinM

Many years ago, I had my very first new car stolen, less than 3 months after I bought it. It's a strange feeling to wake up, look out the window and find that you have no way to get anywhere except to walk.

Back then, car theft was seemingly the national sport. It was so pervasive in my state that both the cops and my insurance company seemed to have the right to treat me like I had something to do with the theft.

Oh yeah, and about three weeks later, just a day or so before I was supposed to get a check from the insurance people, to go buy a new car, the PD called me at 2 AM (!!!!)....you guessed it....to tell me they'd recovered my car. When I saw it the following day, it had been so thoroughly stripped that I almost didn't recognize it. I figured the insurance company would total it. No such luck. They decided to rebuild it. It was never right again for all of the time I owned it.

My condolences on your situation, Troy. When something like this happens, your privacy is violated and it does change the way you look at the world.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

That sucks Troy, but sounds like it could have been a lot worse! I just put a padlock on our back gate to help deter these scumbags.

Janusz - Somebody tried to mug me in DC (Columbia Heights, where I lived). I took off running like an Olympic sprinter before he had his gun all the way drawn. Damn lucky he didn't feel like shooting me in the back.

Last edited by Hatchetman; 01-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
PLEzero

At least no one was injured. When it's all said and done a stamp collection is just a stamp collection. Although that is a lot easierto say when it isn't MY stamp collection. Theft, fire, flood, etc... Are why I keep an extra hard drive at a second location.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Well, I just got home and surveyed the damage. At first glance, they took only one thing, my stamp collection and a (older) laptop.

The room they entered through was pretty messed up, but no permanent damage I think. Unless the carpet wont clean up.

The idiots also dumped out this gym bag which I had some work tools in, and I am guessing used it to conceal the box the stamp collection and maybe something they took from the house next door.

All in all, I guess I was lucky. I have no idea what the stamp collection was worth, it was mostly sentimental value, but I am pretty sure it had considerable monetary value as well, considering what was in it. It does suck because of the sort of feeling of insecurity I am now sensing.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-16-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
At least no one was injured.
If I was home, it would have been THEM injured. I pack...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
CN Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If I was home, it would have been THEM injured. I pack...
Good choice!
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
Mr. Pick

Quote:
It does suck because of the sort of feeling of insecurity I am now sensing.
That is the real loss after a break-in, your sense of home as a secure place.

Odd they took only the stamp collection. Was it out in the open? Any chance they knew what they were looking for?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Found a couple other things missing:

My EOS Elan 7e (film SLR), EF-S 18-55 lens from my first DSLR, EF 70-300

I had not used any of this stuff in a while.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
That is the real loss after a break-in, your sense of home as a secure place.

Odd they took only the stamp collection. Was it out in the open? Any chance they knew what they were looking for?
No, that's the weird thing. In my master bedroom, I have a walk-in closet, inside of that, there is another closet, which actually occupies the space under the staircase (it's a weird layout). The stamp collection was in a steel tin case inside of a large plastic tote which also had all my canon boxes of lenses and bodies which I keep and the 2 lenses and film body I just mentioned. It's like they removed the tote, went though it, found the stamp collection, and left. If they went through the rest of the closet, they would have found the coin collection and some other stuff (some old Railroad Lanterns).

It's like they found that, thought it was enough, and left.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
Mr. Pick

That is odd. Might have heard something and gotten spooked and high-tailed it.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Anyone know you have a gun?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Anyone know you have a gun?
Lots of people I know do. No one in the neighborhood though. Why?

No one I know would break into my house.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

Really sorry, Troy... I know this will really suck for awhile... the good news is in a few years it will just be a story you tell.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Had a camera stolen from a friends car while having lunch, This was back in high school days and the car didn't lock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Lots of people I know do. No one in the neighborhood though. Why?
Well, if you think you were targeted I can only think of two things that anyone would target: a big stash of cash or a handgun.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Well, if you think you were targeted I can only think of two things that anyone would target: a big stash of cash or a handgun.
I don't think I was targeted, I think it was a random thing, especially considering they broke into the neighbors house too. I also don't think someone would break into a house just to get a handgun. They are easily traceable.

I called around to several places that sell coins and stamps today. So far no leads. One of them obviously didn't even give a shit, didn't want to assist at all, and unfortunately that was the closest one to my house.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
jnohallman

Quote:
I don't think I was targeted, I think it was a random thing, especially considering they broke into the neighbors house too. I also don't think someone would break into a house just to get a handgun. They are easily traceable.

I called around to several places that sell coins and stamps today. So far no leads. One of them obviously didn't even give a shit, didn't want to assist at all, and unfortunately that was the closest one to my house.
You might want to wander down to that one and see if you can identify any of your stamps on display there. Not wanting to assist could (although doesn't necessarily) mean doesn't want to lose the money they might make by selling the stuff.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Thats the cops job if they have time they look but no one is stopping you, by the way look at other stuff first. give it 3 weeks or longer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote