Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
wds

Default Well I thought it was different enough...

A wedgie versus a side shot, but I suppose they are of the same train at the same time of day in the same location!

Accepted shot:
Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 487490
Photograph © W. D. Shaw

Rejected shot: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=2518334

Last edited by wds; 06-29-2014 at 10:54 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
A wedgie versus a side shot, but I suppose they are of the same train at the same time of day in the same location!

Accepted shot:
Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 487490
Photograph © W. D. Shaw

Rejected shot: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=2518334
You must have had the same screener that I had today

Accepted:
Image © Carl Massart
PhotoID: 487427
Photograph © Carl Massart

Rejected: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=1222723

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
wds

Maybe they're remembering shots by other photogs in the dim and distant past, that's where I'm leaning... But that doesn't make much sense either, since I'm the only one who shoots in this area.
Maybe they were thinking about these two, which were not only similar to each other but to today's shots albeit with different power and lighting, hell I dunno:

Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 484675
Photograph © W. D. Shaw

Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 484889
Photograph © W. D. Shaw
Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

There was a couple virtually identical shots accepted yesterday. Not saying yours is any better or worse than theirs... but just pointing this out
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
bnsf7562

You can't get more 'identical' than these three shots.

Image © Casey Bell
PhotoID: 481709
Photograph © Casey Bell

Image © Jordan Hood
PhotoID: 481600
Photograph © Jordan Hood

Image © Chip Allen
PhotoID: 481539
Photograph © Chip Allen

God bless,
Jake
bnsf7562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
Mgoldman

It's a well known fact that nobody wants to the see the same or similar image twice, let alone from the same photographer. Just look at the view counts, for instance, on these two pics:

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 485462
Photograph © Mike Danneman

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 412670

I forgot to check the comments or favorites, but I'll bet it's safe to assume the second of Mike's similar to previous image likely got no more then a handful of either, if even. Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
BobE
Banned

In the case of both, wds and massart, the rejected photo is far more interesting than the ones that were accepted.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
It's a well known fact that nobody wants to the see the same or similar image twice, let alone from the same photographer. Just look at the view counts, for instance, on these two pics:

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 485462

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 412670

I forgot to check the comments or favorites, but I'll bet it's safe to assume the second of Mike's similar to previous image likely got no more then a handful of either, if even. Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.

/Mitch
I realize both of my images are similar, but they were photographed and submitted almost two years (20 months) apart. We have all rephotographed a scene (perhaps a favorite) to try to get a better quality photo. I’d like to think that the second one is in better light and on a clearer day.

I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different. Are my two images really on the same par?

Besides, when you think about it, everything has been photographed before…

Sorry Mitch, if you think “Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.” I’d like to think my two image examples are “years apart,” maybe even an improvement and not a “mistake.”

Mike Danneman

P.S. I went out yesterday afternoon to Rocky and Little 10 Curve, since the weather was great and air really clear… now I’m afraid to post any of the photos because I’ve shot there before.
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
I realize both of my images are similar, but they were photographed and submitted almost two years (20 months) apart. We have all rephotographed a scene (perhaps a favorite) to try to get a better quality photo. I’d like to think that the second one is in better light and on a clearer day.

I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different. Are my two images really on the same par?

Sorry Mitch, if you think “Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.” I’d like to think my two image examples are “years apart,” maybe even an improvement and not a “mistake.”

Mike Danneman

P.S. I went out yesterday afternoon to Rocky and Little 10 Curve, since the weather was great and air really clear… now I’m afraid to post any of the photos because I’ve shot there before.
So, Mitch, now that I have posted this, were you serving facetious with a side order of hornswoggle?
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post
In the case of both, wds and massart, the rejected photo is far more interesting than the ones that were accepted.
Agree! Although I would like to see more of the first car in the CN rejected shot.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
So, Mitch, now that I have posted this, were you serving facetious with a side order of hornswoggle?
But of course, Mike!

Let me put it this way - I think if admin was in charge of the patent office, we'd all have to suffice with not only one kind of candy bar, but, as an even better analogy, we would only have one kind of chocolate. Dark? White? Surely you jest...

/Mitch
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different.
I've seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with the SAME locomotives.

This is aggravating to patrons who are not given that option - especially when their images are no where near as similar. Barring some kind of crazy (and undesirable) photo recognition technology, this will forever be a point of contention between this site and it's patrons. And it's a well known practice to simply resubmit at a later date - so it gets in anyway.

Regardless - I say, bring it on! Sometimes the slightest nuance can make all the difference in the world - and in favor of either variation to different people. Some folks like warm photos, some like it cool. Some like rods down, some do not care. Taking an image from 2 feet above the ground vs standing vs using a ladder, while all similar, can make all the difference to another photographer as can shooting wide and cropping vs shooting telephoto without cropping - neither one is "better" but one may have a completely different appeal to a certain audience. Heck, I've gone back and re-shot a scene only to capture different cloud formations or steam engine plumes. Bring it on. Is it "BEST railroad photos on the net" or "Our favorite railroad photos (or first posted) photos on the net"?

/Mitch
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
MassArt Images

Quote:

And it's a well known practice to simply resubmit at a later date - so it gets in anyway.

/Mitch
Dang, I wish I knew that! If they don't get accepted here, they must be crap, so I delete from existence.

@Moffat Road - Hornswoggle's not to bad if you can wash it down with a Trout Slayer.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Joe the Photog

Carl;

Remember that Similar to Previous doesn't always mean Similar to YOUR Previous

Image © Jim Kleeman
PhotoID: 487492
Photograph © Jim Kleeman
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Agree! Although I would like to see more of the first car in the CN rejected shot.
Me too, but due to the wide-angle limitations of the 24-105 lens that was on the camera, that's all I got! It wasn't a case of having a kit full of gear with me and selecting the most appropriate lens for the location - it was a case of "the damn thing's blowing at the crossing a half mile away, grabbing a camera off the hall table and trying to beat it to the beaver pond"!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Regardless - I say, bring it on! Sometimes the slightest nuance can make all the difference in the world - and in favor of either variation to different people. Some folks like warm photos, some like it cool.
So true, Mitch, so true. And you certainly know which image I'm partial to:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 372062
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Image © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com
PhotoID: 364248
Photograph © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com

It's baffling to me how you didn't get any awards for that, yet Pete got a #1 PCA.

Quote:
Some like rods down, some do not care. Taking an image from 2 feet above the ground vs standing vs using a ladder, while all similar, can make all the difference to another photographer as can shooting wide and cropping vs shooting telephoto without cropping - neither one is "better" but one may have a completely different appeal to a certain audience. Heck, I've gone back and re-shot a scene only to capture different cloud formations or steam engine plumes. Bring it on. Is it "BEST railroad photos on the net" or "Our favorite railroad photos (or first posted) photos on the net"?
Well stated. I'm curious to what Chris and Chris would respond with on this matter.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Quote:

Mike Danneman

I will disagree. I enjoy seeing locations photographed in different seasons. I would love to see that view after a substantial snowfall.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

I don't see what the issue is. We see tons of very similiar, nondescript wedgies on here every day.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #19
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Carl;

Remember that Similar to Previous doesn't always mean Similar to YOUR Previous

Image © Jim Kleeman
PhotoID: 487492
Photograph © Jim Kleeman
Joe, my photo was submitted before that one was added to the database. That was what had me befuddled.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #20
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Joe, my photo was submitted before that one was added to the database. That was what had me befuddled.
I didn't notice that. Carry on then!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #21
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I didn't notice that. Carry on then!
I didn't catch that either! Wow!! Things just get curious-er and curious-er down this rabbit hole!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #22
Ron Flanary

Quote:
You can upload all you want from that spot, Mike. Works for me....every time...every day....every train.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
troy12n
Banned

I think if it was me, I would have not submitted these 2 shots on the same day

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 487868
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 487867
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

Again... 2 sets of rules
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #24
Mgoldman

Thursday July 3rd SPECIAL on RP!!!

For every photo submitted and accepted, you may upload a second similar shot with a free pass!

Example:

Image © wm3798
PhotoID: 487984
Photograph © wm3798

Image © wm3798
PhotoID: 487982
Photograph © wm3798

Act now! We can not guarantee when this offer will be available again!

/Admin

(PS - Endorsed by Mitch (and likely Ron)).
Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
wds

Quote:
Thursday July 3rd SPECIAL on RP!!!

For every photo submitted and accepted, you may upload a second similar shot with a free pass!

Example:

Image © wm3798
PhotoID: 487984
Photograph © wm3798

Image © wm3798
PhotoID: 487982
Photograph © wm3798

Act now! We can not guarantee when this offer will be available again!

/Admin

(PS - Endorsed by Mitch (and likely Ron)).
Similar - damn near identical!! Although for some reason the thumbs aren't showing properly. Regardless, that's what brought me back to this thread, I saw them in today's lineup and felt, well, extremely disappointed and cheated - to say the least!