Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
pderekh

Default PSE vs CS vs Lightroom

what's the difference between Adobe Photoshop elements, CS4, and Lightroom?
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Ween

Money.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
JRMDC

Ah, too bad, no good answers yet. I have been thinking about Lightroom, it sounds like it may suit me.

BTW, Derek, PSE is just a cut-down version of PS. The cut is in two dimensions. First, there are many features (the advanced ones, pretty much, but I can't say that I know PS well) that are only offered in PS. Second, there are other features that can be used in PS with 16-bit color images, but in PSE can only be used when an image is reduced to 8-bit color (such as Transform). As 8-bit color is what a JPG uses, in practice for RP submission there is no loss with PSE. For printing, well, I send JPGs to the shop where I print and the results satisfy me. I suspect that 16-bit printing requires a high quality home color printer or submission elsewhere in TIFF form, so not you run of the mill printing place but a pro shop of some sort.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pderekh View Post
what's the difference between Adobe Photoshop elements, CS4, and Lightroom?
If you are just using PS to edit train photos, you will be very pleased with elements.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

PS and PSE and CS4 are all about processing, not organizing. That's what Aperture and Lightroom are for.

Aperture and Lightroom do 95% of the processing you need and 100% of the organizing you need.

I use Aperture. Lightroom I have not used but does the same thing. There work involved yes but you are able to get a hold of the thousand of images digital cameras generate. I had about 7,000 images before I went digital in 2006.

I now have about 20,000 digital images.

(And I'm slow on the trigger. I think AB(2) told me he has about 170,000?)

Having ALL your images in one place ready for instant call up is fantastic.

Processing is an intuitive breeze with Aperture. I rarely need go to PS.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
DelmonteX

I have all three products your inquiring about. Just a minor correction to Dennis' post. PSE certainly is about organizing. I haven't touched it since I switched to Lightroom. For me, organizing was the purpose for both PSE and Lightroom as I used Photoshop exclusively for processing.

I still feel a little more comfortable with the Organizer portion of PSE and I like it's note and calendar features. You could make a journal entry for a given day and add fairly extensive notes to any photo. Those features are missing from Lightroom (or I haven't found them yet). I also like how PSE's keywords work better than in Lightroom.

After upgrading to a much faster computer, Lightroom has become the center point of my work flow. I do a fair amount of the processing in Lghtroom and edit in Photoshop, but I'm slowly doing more and more in Lightroom only.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
KevinM

I've had PSE 6 for about a year and am pretty pleased with its processing capabilities. Unlike everybody else however, I can't stand the Organizer.

I have my own system of filing images using Windows folders, so I don't really need a program to help me "organize". What I really need is a quick way to review images to select the ones I want to work on. There, the PSE Organizer falls down miserably. I can look at the images, but I can't zoom on them to check for sharpness etc...at least I haven't found a way to do that. When I shot JPEGs, I used to use Microsoft Windows to review images, because it does support zooming. When I started shooting RAW, that was no longer an option, so I turned back to the PSE Organizer. Unfortunately, it seemed that half the images I downloaded with it showed up in the Organizer as "broken" or "damaged". The images were fine....it was the Organizer that was "dain bramaged."

Now, I use ViewNX to select images and PSE to process. True, ViewNX won't zoom either, but I never have the problem with "damaged files" or "broken connections".

Some day, when I get photography figured out, I will buy a real program.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 09-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I've had PSE 6 for about a year and am pretty pleased with its processing capabilities. Unlike everybody else however, I can't stand the Organizer.

I have my own system of filing images using Windows folders, so I don't really need a program to help me "organize". What I really need is a quick way to review images to select the ones I want to work on. There, the PSE Organizer falls down miserably. I can look at the images, but I can't zoom on them to check for sharpness etc...at least I haven't found a way to do that. When I shot JPEGs, I used to use Microsoft Windows to review images, because it does support zooming. When I started shooting RAW, that was no longer an option, so I turned back to the PSE Organizer. Unfortunately, it seemed that half the images I downloaded with it showed up in the Organizer as "broken" or "damaged". The images were fine....it was the Organizer that was "dain bramaged."

Now, I use ViewNX to select images and PSE to process. True, ViewNX won't zoom either, but I never have the problem with "damaged files" or "broken connections".

Some day, when I get photography figured out, I will buy a real program.
Give Lightroom a try and a little time to warm up to. Of those photos I've added to the catalog, I can find stuff in a snap.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote