Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb As an FYI - Image Rejection Process

I put this here simply to alert people and the screeners what contributors are up against when submitting artistic shots that are not classic train pictures.

Disclaimer: I don't expect this shot to be accepted and I am not asking that the rejection be reversed - that is what the appeal process is for and I have chosen not to appeal it.

Further, a number of people may not like the shot and think I have a hole in my head for even submitting it - and I respect their opinion(s).

Shot:

Culled from the Herd

REJECTION:

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.

Original photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Setout.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	8559

Problem I have with the "bad cropping" rejection is that the screener has no idea what the subject of the photo is - I suspect.

Moreover, who's vision is it anyway, mine or the Site's?

If the image is non-conforming and not something ya'all want, that is cool, but it would be better for all involved if it was PEQ'd from the get go.

Thank you for listening and I appreciate the feed back!
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
JRMDC

I think it is pretty clear that RP is about the vision of the site. I've no problem with that, other than wishing their vision were broader. and less picky (which is not the same thing).

I presume you have a vision here of empty desert and abandonment, but I personally don't much care for the shot even in the preferable cropped version. Tastes differ.

I have a technology question. What happens if you leave a black tank car containing a highly volatile chemical out in the middle of a 110 degree desert? Is the load in the tank such that under that sort of heat (greater than 110 in the tank itself) the expansion can be withstood? How often does some sort of emergency release valve open, and what pollution occurs?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
coborn35

Really like the cropped version.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
kszok

This was my vision of the tank car that HG posted. We had stopped by the old shoe tree just east of Amboy. The tank car had caught my eye, too.

Amboy Shoe Tree and Lonely Tank Car by K-Szok-Photography, on Flickr

I think I'd like to go back there in June when trains would not be back lit and see what I can work with.

Railpictures

Last edited by kszok; 04-27-2014 at 09:18 PM.
kszok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I put this here simply to alert people and the screeners what contributors are up against when submitting artistic shots that are not classic train pictures.
I see an artistic shot in Ken's post above, but not in yours. What's "artistic" about your shot?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I see an artistic shot in Ken's post above, but not in yours. What's "artistic" about your shot?
At least it is level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I have a technology question. What happens if you leave a black tank car containing a highly volatile chemical out in the middle of a 110 degree desert? Is the load in the tank such that under that sort of heat (greater than 110 in the tank itself) the expansion can be withstood? How often does some sort of emergency release valve open, and what pollution occurs?
The car in the photo is not carrying anything volatile (no placards) but if it were say an alcohol car then the situation would be as follows:

The liquid would expand and the vapor would evaporate and pressurize the tank to a certain point depending on the chemical that was in the tank.

If the pressure inside the tank reached a point high enough that the remainder of the liquid would be held as a liquid (such as with butane or propane) then when the whole system would remain stable with the product contained in the tank and when it cooled down enough, the vapor would recondense and the same amount of liquid would be present as when the heat up process started.

However, if the tank got so hot that the pressure rose above the working pressure of the tank (as happens in a fire) then a relief valve would open and the vapor would escape.

If the temperature were to continue to rise, then theoretically all the liquid could vaporize and escape through the relief valve.

Those cars are designed to get pretty hot and still hold the load since alcohol trains travel through New Mexico in the Summer all the time.

The problem arises when a relief valve fails, or in a fire when the tank cannot vent quick enough and the pressure rises above the working pressure of the vessel and ka boom - fireball.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-28-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
MagnumForce

Wow you complain enough when your "non artistic in any way" shots that you say are artistic don't get accepted.

They aren't artistic, daring, pushing the limits, or anything else (Added a serial comma just for Chuck.)

I just don't know how to put it nicely, I am sure you are a great guy and I really enjoy a lot of your stuff, but everything I see you put in here that wasn't accepted I am simply gobsmack that you would even waste the screeners time with.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 04-28-2014 at 12:33 AM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Moreover, who's vision is it anyway, mine or the Site's?
Really?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Well - I see you've met RP's back up screeners, lol.

Joe, Jim and Brent, while seemingly in sync in regards to the on going discussion about screener intolerance have stepped in to null and void your argument implying in fact, your image (despite the rejection for bad crop) sucks.

I like it. I "see it". I can accept your vision and find merit.

It's a random tank car left in the middle of nowhere. The tank car is placed appropriately in the right third of the composition.

Bad crop - maybe it is? I'll back a screener and call it when I see it. It's a bit "tall". Too much on the bottom. My standard crop, BTW, is 1024 X 683, or 1200 X 800 pix. If you did that, your image would have a more "true to vision" look. It would not be "tall". I'd crop just above your copyright.

As for Ken's (one of my favorite photographers on site) - his shot is art. Sneaker art. Or desert art. Abandonment. You can barely make out the tank car. I don't see it as a train shot, however, the tank car adds. Kind of like a secondary subject adds in the train shots we post here.

Both shots somewhat fit into the realm of "PEQ". As Ken states - it would be great to go back and get it with better light. Still, back lit, each has it's character.

J - glad you don't have a problem with the site's vision other then the vision of the site, lol!

Hey - you can always post on "The Real Railroad Photography" site on FB

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 04-28-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

Hey - you can always post on "The Real Railroad Photography" site on FB

/Mitch
I don't think the admin would allow him there...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I don't think the admin would allow him there...
Nothin good on cable tonight?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Well - I see you've met RP's back up screeners, lol.

Joe, Jim and Brent, while seemingly in sync in regards to the on going discussion about screener intolerance have stepped in to null and void your argument implying in fact, your image (despite the rejection for bad crop) sucks.

Sorry, but there's nothing "artistic" about it. It looks like a grab shot of a lonely tank car in the desert. As I said, Ken's shot is artistic, Billy Bob's is not.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Caption: BNSF be like, lets see if they can tag it out here!

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It looks like a ...shot of a lonely tank car in the desert.
Voilà,

/Mitch

p.s. - if you have a photo of a viola, Jim, can you please post it?
(touché)

Last edited by Mgoldman; 04-29-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Viola.

\Mitch
At your request:

Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 AM   #16
bigbassloyd

Or this:

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #17
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Or this...

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #18
Mgoldman

Or even:

Voilà!

Name:	Voila.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	8564

/Mitch
Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #19
Ron Flanary

Here's a toss up. Would RP.net accept this shot?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old--boxcars.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	8565  
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #20
kszok

Quote:
. . . As for Ken's (one of my favorite photographers on site) - his shot is art. Sneaker art. Or desert art. Abandonment. You can barely make out the tank car. I don't see it as a train shot, however, the tank car adds. Kind of like a secondary subject adds in the train shots we post here.

Both shots somewhat fit into the realm of "PEQ". As Ken states - it would be great to go back and get it with better light. Still, back lit, each has it's character. . . .

/Mitch
Mitch,

Thank you for the kind words. My shot from the shoe tree was not intended for RP. I just like stopping by and checking out the spot to see what has changed. The last time I saw the tree standing as at tree was in Feb. 2010 when I shot the image below with a train passing by. Again, this is not the type of image I would expect RP to add to their data base.

Shoes and Distant Train by K-Szok-Photography, on Flickr

There are so many interesting things out there in the desert.

Railpictures
Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 AM   #21
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post

Interesting question. A couple of my family's friends with no real interest in railroading have similar images framed on their walls (by similar, I mean strings of boxcars across the frame above wide open space and below a dramatic sky). When I asked them about the shots, it was clear that they didn't particularly even think of them as railroad shots, but rather just work by photographers they liked that happened to include a train.

I think that shot would be accepted to RP in a heartbeat if there were also silhouetted locomotives. But of course, the point of the question is, would just the boxcar silhouettes across the whole image be accepted? It's really hard to say. I've found when I have impressive storm weather conditions to work with but no locomotives, my shots of freight cars, signals, cross bucks, etc. almost never get accepted. But I'd imagine someone of Ron's caliber might have better luck. I think this shot is better than what I've done in a similar vein. I love boxcars with doors open on each side, especially when the cars are silhouetted and the light shining through the doors is especially strong. I think the placement of the double opened door cars on the far right of your shot makes for a great composition.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #22
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Just submit it Ron, it is not like they are going to ban you.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #23
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post

This shot was submitted and accepted on a Wednesday, so for your shot, I'd say yes but only if you submit TOMORROW!

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 310634
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

/Mitch
Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #24
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszok View Post
Mitch,

Thank you for the kind words. My shot from the shoe tree was not intended for RP. I just like stopping by and checking out the spot to see what has changed. The last time I saw the tree standing as at tree was in Feb. 2010 when I shot the image below with a train passing by. Again, this is not the type of image I would expect RP to add to their data base.

Shoes and Distant Train by K-Szok-Photography, on Flickr

There are so many interesting things out there in the desert.
Are there any shots on RP with a train passing by this footwear-meets-nature installation art piece/former tree littered with old stinky shoes? I feel like I've seen it before, but can't seem to find any. I think someone should get on that if there aren't. I love the one with the tank car, but I would also like to see a shot with a full train rolling past.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #25
kszok

After posting my shot of the shoe tree from Feb. 2010, I went back and played around with the image trying some different crops. Here is a B+W version for this evening's session.

Revisiting the Amboy Shoe Tree (B+W) by K-Szok-Photography, on Flickr

Railpictures