Old 11-23-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Default Steam, Steel and Strobes Scholarship (2015)

RailPictures.net is pleased once again this year to help spread the word about a unique opportunity available to young adults to attend the Nevada Northern Railway Museum's winter photography sessions free of charge.

For the fifth year the Nevada Northern Railway Museum is offering a special Steam, Steel, and Strobes Scholarship to attend the railroad’s annual photo event to a participants age 18-30. The photographer selected will receive a free admittance to the event, a $500 stipend and will work with professional photographer Steve Crise during the February 2016 events. To apply, e-mail a proposal of no more than 250 words and three low-resolution images to Mark S. Bassett, Executive Director, director@nnry.com Entries must be received by December 12, 2015.

The Nevada Northern Railway Museum is making this opportunity available to encourage young adults to participate in an outstanding heritage railroading activity. The scholarship includes attendance at our annual photo shoot and $500 that can be used for travel to Ely. Steve Crise, a professional photographer, will mentor the winners. This is an outstanding opportunity to participate and learn about heritage railroading. There are two opportunities available – February 12-14 and February 19-21, 2016. An individual will be selected for both events.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Noct Foamer

I know Crise, and I don't think he ever shoots running trains with flash, just displayed ones. One of the these nights I might get out to Ely and shoot them on the roll. It's hard to find a steam operation that runs at night.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
JimThias

Hi, Chris. Good to see you posting back in the forums!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
I know Crise, and I don't think he ever shoots running trains with flash, just displayed ones. One of the these nights I might get out to Ely and shoot them on the roll. It's hard to find a steam operation that runs at night.

Kent in SD
Hi Kent,

You are correct. Other than the moves to position the locomotives for a night static shot, and then put them away, they typically do not run trains at night during the annual NN Winter Photo Shoots.

That said, NN does occasionally run special event trains at night. There are also numerous tourist steam operations that run Polar Express / North Pole Express trains during the upcoming holiday season. Perhaps the most prolific operation doing that is Connecticut's Valley Railroad (Reporting mark VALE.) From mid-November until a few days after Christmas, the Valley Railroad runs 4 steam trains per night, 6 nights a week, plus an extended daytime schedule on the weekends. Two steam engines and two consists are in operation. To get an idea of what is possible, check out the work of local Photographer (and RP Contributor) Tom Nanos.

Image © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com
PhotoID: 419333
Photograph © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com

One of the SCs on the home page is an image Tom shot last week at the Valley.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 11-23-2015 at 02:37 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Don't get use to it. Chris has made three post in the last three years. You guessed it; all plugs for this same contest. Gotta love the admin feed back on this site, top notch
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Yeah, it's time for his annual visit, right on cue!
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote