Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
SD70MAC
HOBO

Default Some Questions

Hi Everyone,
Next week I will be chasing CP's Holiday train in New York State. Some things have been bothering me. A) I dont have a tripid and B) My Canon BP-511 battery hasnt been holding its charge. Those are two big problems if I'll be doing night shots.

First questions is about the battery. I see all these generic BP 511 batterys for a low price and I was wondering if they were safe to use?

Second Question, Whats a good Tripod to buy. Something that I can buy in the store that isnt to expensive? Doesnt need to be fancy, just something that will be sturdy. I have a low budget so im trying to get some ideas. Thanks for any help.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MAC
Hi Everyone,
Next week I will be chasing CP's Holiday train in New York State. Some things have been bothering me. A) I dont have a tripid and B) My Canon BP-511 battery hasnt been holding its charge. Those are two big problems if I'll be doing night shots.

First questions is about the battery. I see all these generic BP 511 batterys for a low price and I was wondering if they were safe to use?
I bought my 10D used which came with one BP-511. A few weeks later I purchased a generic battery from Batteries Plus. The Canon battery is no longer holding its charge more than 1/2 as long as the generic. If you can't shell out the money before the Christmas Train, my only advice is to minimize the amount of using the screen to view photos.

You are obviously going to need both.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
ddavies

When you are shooting in the cold, take the battery pack out of your camera between setups and keep it in a pocket to keep it warm. As the termerature drops, so does the available energy in the battery pack.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #4
SD70MAC
HOBO

Thanks guys. I remember doing that last year. I definetly noticed a diffrence in amount of battery power while standing out in 15 degree weather.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
busyEMT

I know the battery-draining power of cold temps.

Several years ago, someone called on me as a suspicious person. The officer first on scene thought I was lying after I told him I was taking picures (not waiting to jump in front of the train). My Fuji camera fit under my coat and allowed the coat to be zipped up. It was -17 and I was waiting over an hour for the Z train I could see in the far distance.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote