Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #1
Niles

Default Size problems on Pentex K100

Hey forum men and possibly women I just bought a Pentax K100. I love the camera except for the size of the photos is produces. They print out fine but when I put them on my desktop and stretch they are pulled up because the image is wide. I want to know if there is a way to get desktop sized images without using photo editing programs. Thanks.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Hey forum men and possibly women I just bought a Pentax K100. I love the camera except for the size of the photos is produces. They print out fine but when I put them on my desktop and stretch they are pulled up because the image is wide. I want to know if there is a way to get desktop sized images without using photo editing programs. Thanks.
Any image when stretched will distort. If you are looking to use an image as a desktop background, you have to either a) crop the image into dimensions that match the pixel dimensions of your screen (at least in ratio), or b) have the image display unstretched, so that it will be surrounded with blank space. It's not the size, it is the dimensions, the ratio of height to width, that are the key issue. To redimension an image, you do need some sort of a photo editing program to do the relevant crop. But you can always choose option b).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Ween

Regardless of how to do it, I'm curious as to the why? Why is this a "problem?"

It looks like the Pentax K100 smallest file size out of the camera is:

1536 x 1024 (Small), which is typically too big to fit on the desktop.

Now the question is, are you shooting at this setting? And if so, WHY?!?!? Why hamstring the capability of a dSLR by shooting small just so the image fits on your computer desktop?

There may be a way to get an image to fit the desktop, but the easiest way is with an editting program. They're free out there; I hear about Picasa from Google. I'm guessing that allows you to resize the image down to 1024 pixels which would fit on the desktop of most folks' computers...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Niles

HI again and thank you for the replies. I shoot at the best quality (jpeg) on my camera but since I don't develop any of my photos the standard development width is not practical for my situation. All my photos are stored on my computer and I display them on my desktop. My problem is that when I compose a shot and then place it on my desktop I lose the sides of the image or if I make the image the correct width, I have a space at the top and bottom of my screen. It isn't a big deal since I don't shoot photos just to display them on my computer, but if I can change the size I would too. Thank.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
HI again and thank you for the replies. I shoot at the best quality (jpeg) on my camera but since I don't develop any of my photos the standard development width is not practical for my situation. All my photos are stored on my computer and I display them on my desktop. My problem is that when I compose a shot and then place it on my desktop I lose the sides of the image or if I make the image the correct width, I have a space at the top and bottom of my screen. It isn't a big deal since I don't shoot photos just to display them on my computer, but if I can change the size I would too. Thank.
What you describe is inevitable. Your camera creates images in a 3:2 ratio between the sides (the same as 35mm film, and most DSLRs, different than most or many digicams, which have a 4:3 ratio). A computer monitor rarely has dimensions in a 3:2 ratio: the old 800x600 was 4:3, 1280x1024 is 5:4, etc. Hence, any image from your camera will necessarily leave space top/bottom or lose sides left/right (assuming a landscape/horizontal format to the image). Nothing you can do.

Well, you can stretch, but then you distort the image and it looks wierd.

Just like if you try to put a print in an 8x10 frame, no image from your 3:2 camera will work; either part of the print will be hidden by the frame/mat or part of the opening in the frame/mat will not be filled by the print. You have to crop to the dimensions of the frame/mat.

All this assuming I understand your question correctly.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:05 AM   #6
Niles

Thanks again guys. This is my first SLR so I didn't know about the ratio. It isn't a big deal though, at least I know now. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
John Craft

Quote:
I want to know if there is a way to get desktop sized images without using photo editing programs.

When changing your desktop, choose "center" in the "Position" drop-down. However, your image will "bleed" off the edges if it is bigger than your screen resolution.

Take 10 minutes and learn how to use an image editor. It's not hard.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote