Old 11-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
need2foam

Default Big Boy cropping ideas

I took this shot of 4014 earlier this week. I had the lens poked under the fence on a viaduct in an attempt to get the power lines out of the frame. I've tried cropping a couple of different ways. I'm curious if members have other ideas for cropping it or if I should just keep it as a good memory from chasing Big Boy. Thanks. 1/500 f8 ISO500 200mm

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...04&key=9975539
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02848 (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	9766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02848.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	9767  
need2foam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I believe this one will be a memory for you. Perhaps a vertical 5:4 crop would produce a slightly better result, but verticals are generally poorly received here even when accepted. If you do attempt another crop though, make sure you rotate it around 1.5 degrees CCW before doing so.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
need2foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I believe this one will be a memory for you. Perhaps a vertical 5:4 crop would produce a slightly better result, but verticals are generally poorly received here even when accepted. If you do attempt another crop though, make sure you rotate it around 1.5 degrees CCW before doing so.

Loyd L.
Thanks a lot for taking a look, Loyd. I will straighten it and then put it in my file of good memories. Cloudy skies all day for the 4014 festivities in Kansas earlier this week. Sounds like it is dumping snow on Big Boy in western Kansas today so it could make for some more interesting shots if there is anyone out there chasing it.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #4
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2foam View Post
Thanks a lot for taking a look, Loyd. I will straighten it and then put it in my file of good memories. Cloudy skies all day for the 4014 festivities in Kansas earlier this week. Sounds like it is dumping snow on Big Boy in western Kansas today so it could make for some more interesting shots if there is anyone out there chasing it.
Google Jolie Green Hays Daily News 4014. Some pretty decent basic snow photos and video but just like FB there was a good video and can't find it now.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
"...there was a good video and can't find it now."
Try "our very own polar express".
Also "union pacific big boy in snow" gets a couple good hits on YouTube.

I wasn't expecting that string of covered hoppers tagging along with the special!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

To answer the rejection reason given 'balance', the nose of Big Boy is smack dab in the center both vertically and horizontally, making your photo center weighted. Unless you have higher interest props surrounding your subject to supplement it, it should not be dead center, especially here.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
need2foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
To answer the rejection reason given 'balance', the nose of Big Boy is smack dab in the center both vertically and horizontally, making your photo center weighted. Unless you have higher interest props surrounding your subject to supplement it, it should not be dead center, especially here.
I tried re-cropping it a couple of ways but couldn't figure out a way to avoid that. I like the way the line of cars following Big Boy is distorted by the Schlieren effect here - wish I could have got more of that into the frame. I need to continue to "previsualize" how a shot will look when the train is in the frame. Not arguing with the rejection at all. Thanks for the input.