Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Paulinbna

Default Some Attempts Are They Good Enough

Please tell me what you think? Which ones will have a good chance?

http://www.paulrobbins.net/Trains/

thanks in advance
Paulinbna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Maybe the yard shot if you crop it and don't loose too much resolution, maybe that can get in but why? The better question to ask is what about those photos do you like?

Why would you like any of them to be included on RP? What specific qualities about any of those photos do you like, find appealing or stand out in some way? I am not trying to be rude, but I would assume the answer to those questions might answer your own.

Good luck, you can learn alot here in the forums. You may even wish to scroll through the database and view the People's Choices or Screener's Choices to see the type of photo, composition and technique which appeal to an this audience.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
JRMDC

Big wide snapshots always run the risk, for an inexperienced shooter, of being just a big wide expanse of blah. That is the story for 2 and 4. Look for a subject or even a story. In 2 I see a zoomed-in shot (do you have a tele capability) of a train in a yard, a switchman in the yard, and a distant 2nd train. That would be a crop down to maybe 20% of the original. So a reshoot is likely in order, and in general one needs to look for a composition when shooting. In 4 I see no potential.

3 - people often like to start out with tight crops of power. That is usually not a style RP favors - loosen up a bit.

1 - the only potential for me - I like the angle, it works well with "high sun" also. The nose is dark but that does not bother me, may bother the screener. There is reasonable space around the train.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Sorry. clicked on wrong button. lol

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos

Last edited by Tgranville; 07-14-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: hit wrong button
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Paulinbna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Big wide snapshots always run the risk, for an inexperienced shooter, of being just a big wide expanse of blah. That is the story for 2 and 4. Look for a subject or even a story. In 2 I see a zoomed-in shot (do you have a tele capability) of a train in a yard, a switchman in the yard, and a distant 2nd train. That would be a crop down to maybe 20% of the original. So a reshoot is likely in order, and in general one needs to look for a composition when shooting. In 4 I see no potential.

3 - people often like to start out with tight crops of power. That is usually not a style RP favors - loosen up a bit.

1 - the only potential for me - I like the angle, it works well with "high sun" also. The nose is dark but that does not bother me, may bother the screener. There is reasonable space around the train.

Sorry about this, but I am used to taking aviation stuff and that is one of the requirements of taking that kind of photography (tight in shots of the subject). I have always wanted to try train photography so have to retool my mind into shooting another way.

I have some more examples I would like to show if that is all right. I would rather do it in the forum and get criticism in here then waist the screeners time, so I really appreciate the input.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinbna
Sorry about this, but I am used to taking aviation stuff and that is one of the requirements of taking that kind of photography (tight in shots of the subject). I have always wanted to try train photography so have to retool my mind into shooting another way.
You are not the first to notice that. Good luck with the transition.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

[quote=Paulinbna]Sorry about this, but I am used to taking aviation stuff
I know I shot air shows at one time.
You Need Sun best to have the your shadow pointing at the train, So you have to find a train and scenery and a spot to shoot from before it gets there, Make notes what will work ahead of time. Pick a shot on here and make yours look like it, maybe the best way to start. Not hard just has to make all rules, some that are just dumb or go to far at times, but ingrained for a long time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
JRMDC

Something I wrote a while back

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=7028

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinbna
Sorry about this, but I am used to taking aviation stuff and that is one of the requirements of taking that kind of photography (tight in shots of the subject). I have always wanted to try train photography so have to retool my mind into shooting another way. .
Not to be rude or anything, maybe you should try rrpa first, then , as your photography gets better, move back over to rp?
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Darryl Rule

While I see your point about working up to RP quality, I don't agree with going to an inferior site to start. I kinda look at it like playing sports. If you want to improve at golf, you don't go and play against Joe Schmoe down at the local course. You go play against someone who shoots low scores and try to learn from him and match what he does. Same here. I don't think the OP would get any benefit from posting over at RRPA because the stuff over there won't help him. I think he is better off over here looking at the work accepted here and posting occasionally in the forums until he gets to the point that his shots would be accepted on a regular basis. RRPA is a good resource for certain things, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is just starting in this hobby and wants to improve. By looking over there, his work may regress.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I can't improve upon what's already been mentioned, but, I can say that you're more than welcome to keep posting at the forums and getting our input.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
mw25

I personally like the potential of the scene in #2. If you were to go to this spot closer to sunrise or sunset (whichever time of day places the sun at your back) and zoom in so you lose the dead space in the lower half of the frame, I think you'd have a nice yard shot.

Click here for my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here for my photos on Flickr
mw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
Paulinbna

Ok I know the sun is high but I am more trying to see are these what this site is looking for.

http://www.paulrobbins.net/Train2/

Or even are they good enough to get in, I doubt it for the high sun but worth the try.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Paulinbna

2 more:

http://www.paulrobbins.net/Trains3/