Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
kml928

Default They cant cut a break on a "high sun" shot when it was a special event?

There was a brief window for two days to get these shots during the day, they only opened the area after a certain time and they cant cut some slack on the high sun rejection when this shot will never be possible again?

This was taken within 10 minutes of the museaum being opened to the public that day, was not possible to get better lighting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=693071&key=0
kml928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
cassfan3

Well, the high sun is pretty rough in this shot. If it means that much to you, the shadows could be brought out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
This was taken within 10 minutes of the museaum being opened to the public that day, was not possible to get better lighting.
This shot is pretty much rendered redundant by the night shots with excellent lighting of 5644 at this event. Plus, maybe it's just that I'm not a Conrail fan, but a quick search finds 120+ Conrail SD60M/I's in the database and that appears to be the real CR units not NS/CSX patch jobs. Do you have anything with a more interesting composition.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassfan3 View Post
Well, the high sun is pretty rough in this shot. If it means that much to you, the shadows could be brought out more.

This shot is pretty much rendered redundant by the night shots with excellent lighting of 5644 at this event. Plus, maybe it's just that I'm not a Conrail fan, but a quick search finds 120+ Conrail SD60M/I's in the database and that appears to be the real CR units not NS/CSX patch jobs. Do you have anything with a more interesting composition.
Well there havnt been any day shots submitted so just figured I'd submit one, I'm not hellbent on having this accepted or anything just figured they would be a little more lenient on the high sun considering the nature of the photo.

Any shot on here you can find numerous others of the same or similar engines, so I dont think that matters.

This was the only angle available if you didnt want other distracting objects in the shot.

Like I said, no big deal, but they do accept alot more high sun shots nowdays and figured this type would deserve a little more slack.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

RP is about great photographs, not how the great the story is on how you got the shot or how special the event is. This looks like a high sun roster shot with a cut off subject on the right hand side.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
RP is about great photographs, not how the great the story is on how you got the shot or how special the event is. This looks like a high sun roster shot with a cut off subject on the right hand side.

Ben
We had a cutoff subject debate the other day and apparently its perfectly fine if its not the main focal point of the photo. In fact there are numerous shots on here of trains with a service vehicle like this cutoff.

If there was a zero tolerance on high sun shots, thats one thing, but when they accept plenty of high sun shots then you would figure this wouldnt be that big of a deal, especially when its a borderline high sun, the sun was not directly overhead.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
asis80

I guess the truck isn't leading to the loco enough. It just looks like a cut off truck. I guess, to me at least, the truck is almost the same distance as the truck, not side by side but almost close enough, the balance just doesnt fit too well with me, but hey, I'm not RP staff. Either way, it's still a no go for RP at the moment, maybe work with the shadow/highlights a bit.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
asis80

Also, I want to see some of these high sun shots that got accepted that you witnessed getting in.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
kml928

Quote:
I guess the truck isn't leading to the loco enough. It just looks like a cut off truck. I guess, to me at least, the truck is almost the same distance as the truck, not side by side but almost close enough, the balance just doesnt fit too well with me, but hey, I'm not RP staff. Either way, it's still a no go for RP at the moment, maybe work with the shadow/highlights a bit.

Ben
Heres one for you on the cutoff trucks and the train is even obstructed.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...251002&nseq=10
Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
kml928

Quote:

Ben
And another

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...213442&nseq=15
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
kml928

Quote:
Also, I want to see some of these high sun shots that got accepted that you witnessed getting in.

Ben
Sure, heres one of yours, by the shadow under the tanks, this one couldnt have been outside the high sun window. Its a good shot, but close to the same lighting, look at the shadows, they are very close, if not the same.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...277345&nseq=11
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
asis80

Not a fan of the SP one, but they both work. We're focusing on the subject of human interest in both, so they both work pretty well. The CSX one is really nice, would have preferred less obstructing foreground on the train, but we aren't focusing on that, we're focusing on human interest.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
asis80

Quote:
Sure, heres one of yours, by the shadow under the tanks, this one couldnt have been outside the high sun window. Its a good shot, but close to the same lighting, look at the shadows, they are very close, if not the same.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...277345&nseq=11
Now now, haha. I would have actually put this one in the backlit category. It's not one of my favorites, just a fast grab shot. It's not great, or even good for that matter, in any way. It's borderline acceptance, obviously.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
kml928

Quote:
Now now, haha. I would have actually put this one in the backlit category. It's not one of my favorites, just a fast grab shot. It's not great, or even good for that matter, in any way. It's borderline acceptance, obviously.

Ben
I think its a really good shot, I'm obviously no pro, but I like it alot, just pointing out that the high sun thing is always questionable. I mean if the sun is directly overhead with no light on the nose or side of the train thats one thing, but in both shots there is still plenty of light on the visible side of the engines.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
NYSubway18

I feel your pain, but I've learned very quickly here, that RP doesn't care how special or unique the situation is regarding the train or it's location. They want great photos. I don't think the cut-off truck is a deal-breaker, but it doesn't help. If anything, I would cut a little more off so you don't have half of a rear tire. Hard to compare to other shots in the DB, as often they might not make it it now either - or with a different screener. I've had a couple shots that I thought were real nice especially considering they were of a rare vintage train only to have them bounced for common cloudy day etc. all the while I see many cloudy shots of modern Amtrak etc in the DB.

For what it's worth...

Shot 1: Very cool. Love the perspective with the guy in the truck - and the truck is on tracks awaiting the train crossing in front of him.

Shot 2: Not a great shot IMO, but older shots tend to be given a lot more leniency (or is that lean to the side Jim T?) The guy watching the train pass by helps this shot a lot I think.

Shot 3: High sun, yes...but all the other elements are right on. Probably unique enough consist and solid enough technically to get passed the high sun although a different screener may have bounced it too.

Last edited by NYSubway18; 06-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
I feel your pain, but I've learned very quickly here, that RP doesn't care how special or unique the situation is regarding the train or it's location. They want great photos..
And there is some killer night shots that was on before yours that worked out good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

As Dennis has stated in his signature...

Quote:
RP is about great photography of trains.
RP is not about photography of great trains.
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
cblaz

Quote:
Heres one for you on the cutoff trucks and the train is even obstructed.

Image © Brian Wiggins
PhotoID: 251002
Photograph © Brian Wiggins
Bad example, as the composition necessitates the truck being cutoff, and I can see the entire lead locomotive and most of the second, so I don't understand how the train can be obscured.

HOWEVER,
Quote:
If there was a zero tolerance on high sun shots, thats one thing, but when they accept plenty of high sun shots then you would figure this wouldnt be that big of a deal, especially when its a borderline high sun, the sun was not directly overhead.
Despite you echoing the high-sun mantra of a certain RP critic, I do agree that the standards seem to be lower lately with regard to high-sun shots getting in. In accessing your shot, it seems that the 5644 was parked in such a way that a nice, 3/4 roster would have easily been possible an hour after sunrise, without the museum being open.

- Chris
Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

So tell me, kml, how does everyone else's submissions or rejections matter on YOUR submission? For them, they have a trophy. You don't have a trophy. Yours as good as everyone else? That's your opinion, which you have a right to.

This is Chris and Chris' website, and their opinion differs from yours.

So improve YOUR quality. Cutting everyone else down to size is just not right. Here, it is not about leveling the playing field. Your shot is a nice try; in my opinion it's not up to par.

But even THAT doesn't matter. If they don't want to accept it, they are not going to accept it. We all here do not have a right to have photo one on here. Stop criticizing and improve your own work. And always, ALWAYS remember, don't go out and shoot to get on RP; go out and shoot to get what YOU want. Satisfy yourself first, 'cause after that, nothing else really matters.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #19
Joe the Photog

Here's what I don't understand. Why is it RP's fault for not accepting the Conrail shot? Why is it not the fault of the museum who evidently placed it in a spot that was not great for multiple angles and, if you're right, only opened during high sun hours? Shouldn't you be bitching about them and not RP?

The color also looks off to me in your shot and the whole thing seems to be leaning slightly to the right.

As for Ben's shot, it's not great, but it is well enough to be accepted here, as it was. Ben could proobably go re edit it some as it looks a tad over exposed to me, but other than that, I don't seee much wrong with it.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #20
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Well, THANK GOODNESS he didn't call out these two of mine!

I'm too lazy to explain the story, the caption does enough for you to understand now that these shots have become quite rare.

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 285456
Photograph © Steven M. Welch

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 285187
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #21
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 285187
Come on now! There's no need to go trolling for views on a shot that made To24 . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Did someone say trolling for views?
I'm in!
Wait, unusual power?
Darn...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Did someone say trolling for views?
I'm in!
Wait, unusual power?
Darn...
Darn here also, all I have is an SD9 in BNSF paint, otherwise, the usual suspects.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 167884
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

What is interesting is that a) someone put a post on a blog in a Seattle paper and linked to it - so random! - and b) in checking that out I looked at my Detailed Photo History and found that while that link got me 5 views, there was separate source, a thread on Altamont Press discussion board, that got me 58 views! Who knew? Apparently there has been interest in BNSF SD9 renumbering, which has occurred a lot.

Anyway, that was on my mind just now and since someone mentioned unusual power I had to share/dump. You may now go back to your regular programming.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote