Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool WOW........but....

I suspect all of us have this experience. We sort through some pix and see one that just looks GREAT and jumps out at us. A masterpiece in the making. So we run it through Photoshop or whatever program you use.....and no matter how creative we try to be the result just isn't right. What started with excitement and high expectation.....turns into a dud, or at east a question mark. Attached is a question mark kind of example. I really like this image, BUT. The lighting on the sides of the units is flat, the combination of peeling paint and large Scotchlight lettering on the second unit creates "issues, and the right side of the image is soft. So my question is this one worth trying to save. I might be able to solve some of the softness problem with a rescan. But is it worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPmodbroadsidedarksky700.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4265  
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I really like it. It looks very dramatic. It's something I would be very proud of.

Chris Z.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Yes. It is definitely worth it! I opened it in PS and when I went into Levels the histogram was telling me it was too dark. Brightening it just blew out the sides of the two lead units even more so I actually darkened it as a whole and increased the highlights +10.

After comparing yours to mine: If you darken to the point where it is on the verge of being underexposed and hit it with a bit of contrast that may help the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JWStormLite.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	4266  

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

I never though this day would come...A John West photo might not make it into RP.

John is human after all!

(For the record, it's great idea, and everyone here knows I'm a big fan.)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I never though this day would come...A John West photo might not make it into RP.
Hey Dennis you might be surprised at just how human I am. My files are littered with rejects. Some get in on appeal, but quite a few have never made it. Photogs and screeners don't always see things the same way. The avatar posted with this message is one of the rejects AND one of my favorite all time images. And thanks for the kind words as always.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
ssw9662

Please do submit! All I'd do with it is a slight highlight adjustment to lessen the glare on the first two units. After that it should be fine, not to mention you will have a favorite and PCA vote from me.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Hey Dennis you might be surprised at just how human I am. My files are littered with rejects. Some get in on appeal, but quite a few have never made it. Photogs and screeners don't always see things the same way. The avatar posted with this message is one of the rejects AND one of my favorite all time images. And thanks for the kind words as always.
I LOVE your avatar!

(mumble, "cretinous RP screeners!" grumble...)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
Please do submit! All I'd do with it is a slight highlight adjustment to lessen the glare on the first two units. After that it should be fine, not to mention you will have a favorite and PCA vote from me.
Since nobody so far has said it stinks, I will probably play around with it (both your and AB2's suggestions are appreciated) and see if I can fix it to my own satisfaction at least. Then it will be up to the screeners. I initiated this thread because it is one of those pix that is just on the margin.....The lighting is so neat, BUT.....and I really needed a few other sets of eyes to help me evaluate the possibilities. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
lock4244

I've a shot of a CP branchline freight in a pretty intense snowstorm that I've edited it several times and submitted it once... rejected. CK felt it's get an SC if he screened a corrected edit. Can't get that shot to look "right" no matter what I did and gave up... for now. Sometimes, you need to walk away and forget about it until later. Fresh eyes and such.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I've a shot of a CP branchline freight in a pretty intense snowstorm that I've edited it several times and submitted it once... rejected. CK felt it's get an SC if he screened a corrected edit. Can't get that shot to look "right" no matter what I did and gave up... for now. Sometimes, you need to walk away and forget about it until later. Fresh eyes and such.
You could always contract someone to do the editing for ya. I remember that shot and I feel the same way CK does.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #11
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
You could always contract someone to do the editing for ya. I remember that shot and I feel the same way CK does.
Unethical

Thanks AB. I'll get it right, eventually...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
CP990

My first thought when I opened the shot was "where's the train?" It kinda gets lost against the grassy backdrop imo.

Dave.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP990 View Post
My first thought when I opened the shot was "where's the train?" It kinda gets lost against the grassy backdrop imo.
I agree, I think the lack of contrast between the train and the background hills below the sky is one of the big problems.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
daveedmo

Can you try darkening the background behind the train? Problem is that the engines are neutral colours.
daveedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
That image is stunning, anyone given the duty of screening photos that would have rejected that should find a new line of work (or hobby).
kml928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
That image is stunning, anyone given the duty of screening photos that would have rejected that should find a new line of work (or hobby).
In fairness to the screeners, there were some legit technical and compositional issues, and it was back in a time when RP was more focused on wedgies and such. RP has come a long way since then. I have been posting here for over three years, and occasionally stuff that was rejected long ago (usually for being back lit or bad motive) gets accepted today.

BUT I DO HAVE A GRIPE! The real issue now I have with the screeners is they seem to have fogtten the challenges associated with shooting film. Digital has made photography a whole lot more idiot proof. Film had grain (noise), dynamic range was far more limited (shadow detail), and shooting at ISO 25 provided a lot less depth of field and slower shutter speeds (sharpness). It creates a higher hurdle for the film shooter when you hold a film image up to the same standards as a good quality digital image. Film could be just as good or better, but not all the time.

This probably should be the subject of another thread, but what the heck.