Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
molinematt
Banned

Default Drop down for cities

I was wondering if there was a way to ask to add cities onto the drop down menue when you are trying to add pictures into this site? The reason I ask this is becuase I think that Clinton should be added to the Iowa cities.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
JimThias

Tired of typing it in?

What gets me is that Fostoria, the railroad capitol of Ohio, isn't on the drop down list for that state. Hmmm....
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
molinematt
Banned

Yes to the tired of typeing it in too much. Plus its a pretty big city for Iowa (train wise) with BNSF, UP, and ICE all having yards there. Plus it has the big ADM plant and several other big industies.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

The dropdown menu is on the list of things to be looked into this year.

What gets me is that Ephrata, PA is on the list and has no active RR while Cresson, PA isn't on it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Mgoldman

Nor Owosso, MI - home of the 1225.

It would be nice to allow uploaders to correct the state in the queue as well. Sometimes when uploading, or reuploading a photo the default kicks in and the state is one of the items that you must wait for a screener to get to, all the while getting responses like "uh, there's no Portland, FL".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
JRMDC

Hey, maybe I've just got some IT blood in me, maybe this is a lot of work, but a way to populate the city list would be to use the database to determine the top 20 or so cities in each state, as uploaded to date.

That way you may pick up Fostoria and other locations of that kind.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Hey, maybe I've just got some IT blood in me, maybe this is a lot of work, but a way to populate the city list would be to use the database to determine the top 20 or so cities in each state, as uploaded to date.

That way you may pick up Fostoria and other locations of that kind.
My idea from a year or two ago would be to use the same system as the photographer list on the main page. Once a city gets 20-30 photos it automatically gets added if that is possible. I know nothing about coding and all that fun stuff so I don't know if I'm talking crazy or actually thought of something feasible.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
It would be nice to allow uploaders to correct the state in the queue as well. Sometimes when uploading, or reuploading a photo the default kicks in and the state is one of the items that you must wait for a screener to get to, all the while getting responses like "uh, there's no Portland, FL".
Oh, but there is!

http://abstusa.com/fl/portland
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Hamlet, NC is not in the drop down menu, but there are 488 shots from Hamlet in the database. Gastonia, NC is and there's 24 pictures on here from there. Franmklin, NC is in the list, but there are no pictures on RP from there. In fact, a quick search on MapQuest does not find railroad tracks at all in Franklin, NC.

I always thought that photogs should be able to have thier home turf added. Lancaster, SC is not a big place, but there are 55 shots from there in the database. Same with Chester, 45 shots. Of course, this number is misleading for both places as I have seen some shooters label the town/city a little more exact. There are L&C shots that I label Chester that others put in as Fort Lawn or Richburg, which itself could bethe topic of another thread.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of the way the states are listed -- "USA -- South Carolina" for example. It's kinda dumbing things down for folks. It also makes me have to scroll way down the list when in the old days I could type in the "S" and the list would pop me down close to South Carolina if not already there.

Joe
Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
My idea from a year or two ago would be to use the same system as the photographer list on the main page. Once a city gets 20-30 photos it automatically gets added if that is possible. I know nothing about coding and all that fun stuff so I don't know if I'm talking crazy or actually thought of something feasible.
I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Hamlet, NC is not in the drop down menu, but there are 488 shots from Hamlet in the database. Gastonia, NC is and there's 24 pictures on here from there. Franmklin, NC is in the list, but there are no pictures on RP from there. In fact, a quick search on MapQuest does not find railroad tracks at all in Franklin, NC.Joe
On the same note, there are a few RRs listed in that drop down under the short line/regionals that don't have any photos attached to them, but then there are some not listed that have waaaayyyyy more than some that are listed. Maybe apply AB2's idea to all fields?

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 04-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Nor Owosso, MI - home of the 1225.

/Mitch
And if they add Owosso, the default location for 1225 shots should be "King Rd" since it seems 90% of the shots are listed from there. It drives me nuts!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote