Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Default Manchester to Hong Kong, 2010

Yes. I'm already planning my 2009 trip! My idea is to fly to Manchester, then start the long journey, all the way by rail, to Hong Kong. I've yet to decide which route to get to Moscow, once I reach continental Europe, as there are about half a dozen options. And then to decide whether to Vladivostok, via the Trans-Siberian Proper route, and then to make my way to Beijing, or take the Trans-Mongolian route to Beijing.

Has anyone, here, been to Vladivostok before? If so, what's it like? Is it worth the visit? Also, what would be a good time of year? August, September, October?

Anyone else interested in the trip as well? Could make it an RP thing!

As usual, comments welcome!

Last edited by Callufrax; 02-04-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Slight alteration to the title of the thread
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Callufrax
?

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one.

I've made a few major changes to my proposed overland trip from Manchester to Hong Kong. I've rather lengthened the duration of it - it will now be seven months.

Here is a very rough itinerary of what I plan to do:

http://www.callufrax.net/Manchester-HongKong-2010.pdf

This will probably be the last BIG trip I do, before I have to become responsible and make enough money to support myself in retirement. Scary thought, but it'll be less than 25 years away, after I return!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

That's one hell of a trip - would love to join you, but, I don't have an extra seven months worth of time, money, or anything else to set aside

I thought I was doing pretty well by doing an Amtrak trip to Boston from Norman, OK (via Ft. Worth, San Antonio, New Orleans and New York), but your itinerary puts mine to shame.

Have fun!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
That's one hell of a trip - would love to join you, but, I don't have an extra seven months worth of time, money, or anything else to set aside

I thought I was doing pretty well by doing an Amtrak trip to Boston from Norman, OK (via Ft. Worth, San Antonio, New Orleans and New York), but your itinerary puts mine to shame.

Have fun!
I'd been wanting to do the Russia to China bit for quite a while, now. But, I thought, why not do it a slightly different way? And why not also take that extra time and visit parts of Europe (east and west), that I never had a chance to when I was living in the UK? There's no doubt that this is going to be an expensive undertaking, but it'll be worth it!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Callufrax
?

Well, my trip itinerary has undergone a slight transformation. I'm now starting in Singapore and ending up in Manchester. The main reason being that the Chinese visa can only be applied for about two months in advance. Instead of travelling through Europe in summer, and Asia in autumn, I'm now doing Asia in summer, and Europe in autumn and winter. It will also mean I'll get a chance to photograph the Northern Lights, which has been one of my long-time dreams.

Anyhow, here's the new, and improved, itinerary:

http://www.callufrax.net/Singapore-Manchester-2010.pdf