Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
molinematt
Banned

Default New camera

I'm looking at getting a new camera and was wondering what camera you would suggest. I'm planning on getting a Nikon, but I'm not sure which model to get. Any help would be nice.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by molinematt
I'm looking at getting a new camera and was wondering what camera you would suggest. I'm planning on getting a Nikon, but I'm not sure which model to get. Any help would be nice.
I got a Nikon D40 and im very satisfied with it. Alot of people will say go with Canon but I dont care for canon's myself!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Go with Canon, I couldnt resist . I am a Canon fan myself but Nikon also make a great product.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I got the D80...a little more expensive than the D40 but its a lot better. Canon makes good cameras which would have been my second choice had I not compared the feel of the XTi to the D80 at Ritz Camera. Just fit my hands better and felt like it was built better. Of course if you want to get a really good camera go with the D300 which if I ever upgrade will be the model I go with.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
InspetorMFD

If you are looking for a Nikon I purchased the D60 back in March and I love it. It is easy to use, light weight yet rugged and laid out nicely.
InspetorMFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

How it buy a Camera
Find the lens you want, save for the lens then pick the body thats fits it. No BS Bodes come then go the glass you will have much longer! so pick your lens, the best you can afford. Go with the cheeper body and up grade later. I like Canon, but the Nikons will do you well. But in the long run the Nikon name will cost you more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 06-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Go with a Canon.

Joe
Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
How it buy a Camera
Find the lens you want, save for the lens then pick the body thats fits it. No BS Bodes come then go the glass you will have much longer! so pick your lens, the best you can afford. Go with the cheeper body and up grade later. I like Canon, but the Nikons will do you well. But in the long run the Nikon name will cost you more.
I generally agree with the second half. Always buy the best glass you can, because the bodies come and go. But by no means ignore the body, because while the individual bodies come and go the ergonomics tend to stay the same. So, if you like the way the Nikon is set up better than the Canon, get the Nikon, because you are going to be shooting with the same ergonomics for a long time.

One thing about Nikon/Canon versus other brands. If you think you will ever want to try out some exotic lenses, go with those brands, because the rental market is strong (both local and online). I have rented the 400/2.8, the 100-400, and the 10-22 (and have since bought the latter). Oddly, the lens I always figured I would try out, the 24 tilt/shift, I have never gotten around to renting. (I am a Canon person myself, but not doctrinaire; that is what I ended up with, tis all.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Darryl Rule

I have never owned a Nikon, but my friends who have them love them. When I got my second Digital SLR, I seriously considered going with Nikon, but at the point I had too much $$$ tied up in Canon gear to switch over. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
KevinM

For a first DSLR, the D60 is a good choice...with some caveats.

I own a D40x, which is the predecessor to the D60. The biggest selling points are price, resolution (10.2MP) and LIGHT WEIGHT. This camera doesn't weigh much more than a high-end point and shoot....which is a huge advantage if you do a lot of hiking or (in my case) running (!!!) to get shots. The 18-55mm kit lens that comes with it is also a decent piece of glass for the money IMHO. It is sharp, and doesn't have much distortion until you get down below 22mm.

Now the downsides...

The D40x (not sure about the D60) has only 3 focus areas in the viewfinder. More expensive cameras have more. The extra zones are nice if you use autofocus and want to focus with the shot pretty much composed.

The D40x (again, not sure about the D60) doesn't have autobracketing. If you care about walking away with at least one frame that has an exposure you won't need to mess with too much, that feature would be really nice to have.

Something to consider with the D60 and D40 is that the only autofocus lenses you can use are the AF-S and AF-I series (with an internal focusing motor). This camera does not have its own focus motor....which can limit the glass you select. Perhaps not a problem for you, but be aware.

Lastly, if you're like me and you shoot manual exposure, the controls on the D40x (and perhaps the D60) are klutzy. A thumbwheel controls shutter speed. That same thumbwheel in combination with a button-push controls aperture. I would seriously love to have a separate thumbwheel for aperture control. The camera was clearly not optimized for folks who shoot manual. If you shoot in an autoexposure mode.....then never mind!

Still, whatever you buy, if you have a P&S and you're getting a DSLR, you will learn to love it. Photography is a bit like playing golf. There is a ton of skill involved, but good equipment will also improve your game.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

This is the main question "How much do you want to spend?" This will give us a better idea on how to help you better.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Lastly, if you're like me and you shoot manual exposure, the controls on the D40x (and perhaps the D60) are klutzy. A thumbwheel controls shutter speed. That same thumbwheel in combination with a button-push controls aperture. I would seriously love to have a separate thumbwheel for aperture control. The camera was clearly not optimized for folks who shoot manual. If you shoot in an autoexposure mode.....then never mind!
I believe the same is true of the Rebel line compared to the xxD line in Canon. Certainly it is true comparing the original Rebel (300D) to the 20D (and 30D and 40D work the same way).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
NYC Nick

I own a Nikon D80, and I am really satisfied with. The main reason I got a D80 over something like the D40 was that the D80 has a built in autofocus motor.
NYC Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Carl Becker

If you want to go with Canon and you want brand new, here 'tis:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08...Canon1000D.asp

DPR did already review its big brother and gave it a highly recommended (wow, like it wouldn't happen)...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS450D/

It looks like they've also posted some sample images already as well. I don't doubt that it will perform well enough to get a highly recommended like every other Rebel has so far.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
molinematt
Banned

Thanks for the info. My price range as of right now is about 1,200 for the body and for glass.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by molinematt
Thanks for the info. My price range as of right now is about 1,200 for the body and for glass.
Id suggest to go with a D80 then with a 18-200mm lens
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
Watain
-_-

I suggest going with this kit, it comes with the 18-55mm lens and the 70-300mm VR lens and its in your price range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Id suggest to go with a D80 then with a 18-200mm lens
As far as the 18-200 its a nice lens, I made the mistake of going with th 18-135mm lens which both are wide angle telephotos its a lot harder to compose telemash shots with wide angle teles imo.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 238677
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

This was rejected for bad comp several times. It took a vertical crop to make it work. The scene was just to wide.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=533936&key=0
Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
NSFan14

Yea I wish I had the money to get the 18-200mm lens so I can just keep one lens on my camera without switching all the time.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Joe the Photog

Half the reason to get a DSLR is for being able to change lens. I've never used an 18 to 200, so keep that in mind, but I'd say that if you get one lens to do everything, it's not going to be very good at anything. At the very least, there will be a weakest link in there somewhere.

Joe
Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

If the Canon people get their say, I get mine.

Go Pentax.

-Mike

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Go Pentax.
I must leave one note on that, and a positive one. If you're an AA battery lover, here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-10-2MP-.../dp/B0012QAXNA

And then, if you don't want to change lenses, here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJOF1O/

The total came to $1,054.45 on Amazon. This is not a bad deal, IMO.

~Carl Becker
-------------
Edit: I also just noticed there is a $100 rebate on the camera. It is valid through July 26.

Last edited by Carl Becker; 06-13-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Found the rebate
Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
I must leave one note on that, and a positive one. If you're an AA battery lover, here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-10-2MP-.../dp/B0012QAXNA

And then, if you don't want to change lenses, here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJOF1O/

The total came to $1,054.45 on Amazon. This is not a bad deal, IMO.

~Carl Becker
The thing about Pentax...they make good cameras but you have to buy AA's as Carl mentioned...but as far as Canon and Nikon are concerned they have some of the better lens options on the market compared to other DSLR makers imo.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #23
KevinM

A couple of comments on previous comments:

It might be tough to find a D80 and an 18-200mm VR lens for $1200, but if you have to spend a few extra bucks, that would not be a bad outfit to have.

I personally had 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR lenses, but found that my shooting range was such that I was always changing lenses, missing shots and getting dust on my sensor. That's when I went with the 18-200mm VR and just left it on the camera. As with any wide-range zoom, there is distortion to contend with, but the convenience of the lens outweighs it. The two lenses with the smaller focal length ranges have better distortion characteristics and are good for back-ups or shooting in urban enviroments. For most shoots however, I leave the 18-200mm VR on the camera and am pretty happy with it.

I really DON'T like the Nikkor 18-135mm non VR. I tried it, and the distortion was bad (in my opinion) throughout the focal range, so I returned it. It is lightweight, when compared with the 18-200 and I like that focal range. It is also very sharp. But Nikon really compromised on the distortion. Depending on how and what you shoot, you might spend a lot of time postprocessing for noticeable barrel or pincushion.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

[quote=Watain]The thing about Pentax...they make good cameras but you have to buy AA's as Carl mentioned...[quote]

So what? What is bad with buying AA's? Just buy rechargeables. I love Pentax!
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
The thing about Pentax...they make good cameras but you have to buy AA's as Carl mentioned...but as far as Canon and Nikon are concerned they have some of the better lens options on the market compared to other DSLR makers imo.

The only DSLR of theirs that takes AA's is the K200D, iirc...