Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
InspetorMFD

Default What would you do differently

Seeing as I always think whatever I've done could be better (perfectionist here), what would my fellow photogs here have done differently with this?
Be as nice or as harsh as you'd like, I won't take it personnally. Peer review is the best way to learn.

Image © Seth Kolasinski
PhotoID: 242564
Photograph © Seth Kolasinski

Last edited by InspetorMFD; 07-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.
InspetorMFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
JRMDC

It's just a roster shot in front of a building. I would have gone wider or taller or something and tried to work in higher parts of that old, abandoned building. Or maybe gone down the street a bit to get a better angle on the "Boston Dry Goods Store" painted on the side wall.

Boy, armchair photography is easy!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Ween

Hard question to answer, especially because most of us don't know the area which means we don't know you have to work with. Maybe there are wires that can only be avoided by taking a shopt from the angle you took...I don't know. See what I'm saying though?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspetorMFD
Seeing as I always think whatever I've done could be better (perfectionist here), what would my fellow photogs here have done differently with this?
Be as nice or as harsh as you'd like, I won't take it personnally. Peer review is the best way to learn.

Image © Seth Kolasinski
PhotoID: 242564
Photograph © Seth Kolasinski
I purposly avoided reading ahead to the responses. I wanted to see how my response compared to the others. So, I may look a lil ignorant, but hey, like a really smart person once said "Peer review is the best way to learn."
I think a tighter crop is in order.... Too much asphalt............ I like that old brick building and judging by the era and surrounding buildings, I guess that you cut off 1 or 2 stories. I would have just caught the nose of the blue loco but shot it as a vert including all the brick bldg............ Just my opinion.....

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!

Last edited by J Douglas Moore; 07-14-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: not clear
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
WembYard

Like Janusz, I would have gone further down the street (to the right) if possible to show more of the building and lettering, this would also show the second loco and train (assuming they were on a train). The disadvantage of shooting at that angle would be that you are more likely to get "bowled out" by road traffic getting between you and the train, though it can work out well and add to the scene

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 238519
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote