Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #26
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I apologize, but I have heard the "could be anywhere" criticism of a photo too many times and it is something that is an extremely annoying person pet peeve of mine.
Hmm...it doesn't look any different from signals here in Michigan. So to me (and I'm sure MANY others), it "could be anywhere."

Just go back and shoot a train closer to the signal bridge next time as Troy suggested in his first reply. I don't understand why that is a big deal, unless this was a one-time-only trip for you.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hmm...it doesn't look any different from signals here in Michigan. So to me (and I'm sure MANY others), it "could be anywhere."

Just go back and shoot a train closer to the signal bridge next time as Troy suggested in his first reply. I don't understand why that is a big deal, unless this was a one-time-only trip for you.
Yes it was a one time only trip for me, as well as one time power for this railroad. Oh well \_(ツ)_/
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #28
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If you aren't going to listen to people's advise, why do you post here... You have a proven track record of this crap

Sorry, you can't "fix" your photo for the purposes of railpictures.

And for the record, some silly CN widecab GE leading on a Bessemer line is nothing special or noteworthy enough for them to accept it. This photo can be anywhere. I see a GE, and a signal bridge, and some trees... nothing at all special about this photo.

So take our advice, or leave it. Move on...
That would be because from day one I have not gotten much helpful advice. I see the advice given in other forums like "try this crop, add more this, darken the shadows, that color cast is off so try this" while I get "advice" such as "move the train closer" "it could be anywhere." Maybe it's just me but it seems to be a proven track record.

I also could care less what you think is noteworthy just because you think GE wide cabs are silly
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 834
Default

I offered a vertical version with a little blue sky cloned in on top or you could crop the horizontal tighter, other than that, not sure what else could be done.

Personally, I have done the same, asking about an image that cannot be really fixed but looking for confirmation that it is OK. However, if you ask that question you have to be ready for the answer. I have a few that were "condemned" to flicker even tho I don't have an account but later with a little tweaks made it in.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #30
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I offered a vertical version with a little blue sky cloned in on top or you could crop the horizontal tighter, other than that, not sure what else could be done.

Personally, I have done the same, asking about an image that cannot be really fixed but looking for confirmation that it is OK. However, if you ask that question you have to be ready for the answer. I have a few that were "condemned" to flicker even tho I don't have an account but later with a little tweaks made it in.

Bob
Yes, I haven't gotten a chance to try the vertical yet but will give it a shot.

I think you put into words fairly accurately my sentiment with images that I ask about. Most I am able to get on first try or can figure out the appropriate corrections on my own.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #31
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 212
Default

Joseph, I can understand your displeasure that this shot did not work to a level of excellence you planned, I can understand that. If every trip any of us on these forums ever went on worked to the perfection we all hoped, then we would never have a reason to visit again. You say it is a one time trip, but if it is any consolation, the Bessemer signals are not in any danger of disappearing any time soon, and this is coming from a CN signal guy. So in a couple years, who knows what life could present, you may be able to visit again. Will you get that power? Probably not, but that is not everything. You have to use shots like the one you are asking about as a point to be able to visit again, and use your previous experience as a learning experience, not as a moment of anger. I do know that if you go out to the Bessemer again, you will make it a point to visit that spot again.

We follow each other on Flickr, I saw your shots from that trip, you got a lot of nice shots, revel in the fact that you were able to get a lot of nice shots on one trip, don't dread on the one that didn't turn out as expected, but rather use it as motivation on your next trip out there, which may not be in the next couple of years, but somewhere down the line, I'm sure.

If it makes you feel better, I drove 2,200 miles out to Montana, and one of the shots that I wanted more than most others, when I set up, the clouds moved in and ruined it for me, was I mad? Yeah, but, if I get the chance to go out there again, you better believe that is top of my list to hit and wait on for the best conditions. It's not just you, it happens to everyone, use it to your advantage.
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #32
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Yes it was a one time only trip for me, as well as one time power for this railroad. Oh well \_(ツ)_/
Well if that's the case, I can see why you're a little disappointed with the poor train placement. Can't win 'em all, I guess.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #33
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
That would be because from day one I have not gotten much helpful advice. I see the advice given in other forums like "try this crop, add more this, darken the shadows, that color cast is off so try this" while I get "advice" such as "move the train closer" "it could be anywhere." Maybe it's just me but it seems to be a proven track record.

I also could care less what you think is noteworthy just because you think GE wide cabs are silly
You have gotten tons of good advice. You have chosen to ignore it.

There is a difference...

We have spoken, sorry you see things differently, but you have gotten a consistent message on this that you just can't seem to accept, so please move on.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #34
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You have gotten tons of good advice. You have chosen to ignore it.

There is a difference...

We have spoken, sorry you see things differently, but you have gotten a consistent message on this that you just can't seem to accept, so please move on.
Yes, you're right, I have gotten lots of good advice, just never from you.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #35
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Joseph, I can understand your displeasure that this shot did not work to a level of excellence you planned, I can understand that. If every trip any of us on these forums ever went on worked to the perfection we all hoped, then we would never have a reason to visit again. You say it is a one time trip, but if it is any consolation, the Bessemer signals are not in any danger of disappearing any time soon, and this is coming from a CN signal guy. So in a couple years, who knows what life could present, you may be able to visit again. Will you get that power? Probably not, but that is not everything. You have to use shots like the one you are asking about as a point to be able to visit again, and use your previous experience as a learning experience, not as a moment of anger. I do know that if you go out to the Bessemer again, you will make it a point to visit that spot again.

We follow each other on Flickr, I saw your shots from that trip, you got a lot of nice shots, revel in the fact that you were able to get a lot of nice shots on one trip, don't dread on the one that didn't turn out as expected, but rather use it as motivation on your next trip out there, which may not be in the next couple of years, but somewhere down the line, I'm sure.

If it makes you feel better, I drove 2,200 miles out to Montana, and one of the shots that I wanted more than most others, when I set up, the clouds moved in and ruined it for me, was I mad? Yeah, but, if I get the chance to go out there again, you better believe that is top of my list to hit and wait on for the best conditions. It's not just you, it happens to everyone, use it to your advantage.
Yes definitely some good points, and good to know about the signals. I'm not too concerned with this particular shot, just can be easy to get frustrated when things don't work.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #36
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Yes, you're right, I have gotten lots of good advice, just never from you.
I can't go back in time and re-shoot your shot for you... so I give you advice on how to do it better NEXT TIME...

Just our of curiosity how old are you? You act like and take constructive criticism my 15 year old step son... IE: not very well
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #37
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,861
Default

Not like you're the first foamer to get screwed on a shot. I was screwed over at least twice just yesterday on the Buchanan Branch between Dismal and Hurley, Virginia (One train, 30 miles). It's called normal. If you didn't get the shot YOU wanted, why even upload a self-realized less than stellar effort?

It's hard for me to upload my 'happy with' material, much less the BOFFs.

Loyd L.
__________________
Those who seek glory, must also seek infamy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.