Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
a231pacific

Question Still learning the system - opinions please.

I'm new to railpictures and am still learning the ropes. Most of my rejections make sense, but this one puzzled me a bit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=259081

I know there is a stated bias against going away shots, but a number are in the data base and I thought this shot had enough drama to qualify. If it's the angle of the hopper car side braces, or the top of the tunnel, you will note they are angled in different directions. The track is super elevated and the train is in fact leaning into the curve. The tunnel portal top angle is mostly due to perspective. If I level it up even a bit, the train's lean becomes too exagerated. Composition meets the rule of thirds. Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
I'm new to railpictures and am still learning the ropes. Most of my rejections make sense, but this one puzzled me a bit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=259081

I know there is a stated bias against going away shots, but a number are in the data base and I thought this shot had enough drama to qualify. If it's the angle of the hopper car side braces, or the top of the tunnel, you will note they are angled in different directions. The track is super elevated and the train is in fact leaning into the curve. The tunnel portal top angle is mostly due to perspective. If I level it up even a bit, the train's lean becomes too exagerated. Composition meets the rule of thirds. Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks.
I don't believe bad angle has anything to do with if your shot is level or not - that's the "unlevel horizon" error. I think bad angle has more to do with composition and the angle at which the train is relative to your camera (e.g. going away).
Old 06-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
a231pacific

Thanks for clarifying what "bad angle" means.

If it means, "going away" I guess I have to ask the question, why is a going away shot bad? I know the screeners don't like them, because it's mentioned in the guidlines, but I am curious as to why?

If it means that the shot should have been framed differently, or taken at a different angle to the train, I'd welcome any ideas for improving.

Finally, as a newcomer, the shots I have had rejected up until now have been for "too dark" so I don't know what the various other rejection comments are and what they mean. Is there anywhere on the site where these are spelled out? The guidlines for posting photos are helpful, but more information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
Switched out

Hi Michael

I think your photo might work better if it was cropped to a vertical orientation.

Try something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WM-Brush_Tunnel_10_2000-1024.jpg.40265.jpg (201.2 KB, 183 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Most of my rejections make sense, but this one puzzled me a bit.
I would appeal that one if I were you. It's certainly a helluvalot better than 99% of daily uploads. The steam locomotive, fall colors, and tunnel really add to the shot. The only thing you have going against you is that it's not a wedgie of common power, like the aforementioned 99%.

Quote:
If it means, "going away" I guess I have to ask the question, why is a going away shot bad? I know the screeners don't like them, because it's mentioned in the guidlines, but I am curious as to why?
It all depends on what you're shooting. What makes most going away shots "bad" is lack of composition. Your photo is composed very well, and certainly isn't a bad shot through my eyes. It's one of the better I've seen recently.

Last edited by cmherndon; 06-20-2006 at 03:26 AM.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

I really like that shot. I dont agree with it being a bad angle......as Caleb mentioned everything blends in together well. There is no such thing as a bad steam shot......Id rather see "bad" steam shots all day long than good diesel shots but thats just me.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #7
a231pacific

Thanks for the feedback. I like Switched Out's idea of a vertical crop, it make for a more powerful shot. I was trying to keep more of the train and the 800 X 600 format left a bit too much in to the right. It helps to get some fresh perspective. Much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
Ween

The vertical try would eliminate the shadow on the left side of the rejected shot. That was the first thing my eyes were drawn to was the shadow on the left (hey, I'm not a steam fan) and the vertical crop gets rid of it...
Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
alan-crotty

Hi Mr Allen,

Interesting to note that you've had rejections for too dark?

Of course you have adopted the UK school of steam photgraphy which has a tendency to the dark side (Jelle M to note).

I had some of those when I first started to submit to this database. My monitor screen is calibrated (as is my whole work flow) and the shots look good to me on my screen.

So I've adopted a work around, I just lighten the shots a bit.

I'm not sure if all of the screeners have calibrated systems, I hope they have, after all they are judging our phots.

Keep well Mike

Regards

Alan

Last edited by alan-crotty; 06-20-2006 at 11:05 AM.
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
a231pacific

Wink

Hi Alan,

I'll have to pick your brains about sytems and work flow at some point. I'm just getting started in the digital game, having acquired a scanner this spring and also taken the next step with a digital camera as well.

Watching you and your mates shoot on those SA trips were what turned me from just a snaps shooter into a decent photographer.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
a231pacific

Ween,

Thanks for pointing that out as well. I was more focused on the engine, tunnel and trees aspect of the shot and didn't think about the shadow cast by the smoke. Steam engine smoke is usually what makes a shot, but it can cause problems too. Again, the feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Michael:

I was going to suggest you appeal this one but I notice you reuploaded the second version (which I just accepted).

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
a231pacific

Chris,

Thanks for the comment. I liked the original shot, but after reading the comments I felt that the vertical version was better. I normally try to present a photo the way I took it, but in this case decided to try a major crop.

These forums are very useful, I've been reading some of the earlier threads and have learned quite a bit from them.

A list of the screeners comments and what they mean would be useful, although I realize that with only a few seconds to consider each shot, the screeners comment may be only a general indication of why a shot is rejected.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
alan-crotty

Hi Michael,

Pleased to see the image was accepted. I do prefer the reworked version

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote