Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Mberry

Default FYI - rp is cracking down on outside links but hasn't told us

So I have always posted a link in my rp shots to my flickr site. I believe this is against official rp rules but has been tolerated. Well, not anymore. If you click on my photo below, you'll see that the link is messed up, part rp, part flickr.

Ohters, be warned. Now I have 396 photos to edit, if I care enough.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 484857
Photograph © Michael Berry
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
WMHeilman

They know Flickr is better.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
adickson

huh, this one still works.

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 484542
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
MagnumForce

I have had photos rejected for including Flickr links...
Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Every single one of mine had one.... past tense.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

I don't believe this is anything new. I thought we were told about this before. NS, of course, is an exception.

On the other hand, I know what the URL for Flickr. is.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

So you are linking your flickr shots to railpictures or vice versa? Or you have a link on your flickr page to your railpictures collection?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Unless you are using RP's bandwidth somehow by hotlinking photos elsewhere, I dont know why they would care... but I dont understand what you are trying to accomplish.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

It's no worse than a site like Trainorders... and that's a pay for access site.

They won't let you link to any other site that they view as competition for link backs. It is interesting though, I don't notice that type of policy on other hobbyist oriented websites that I've dealt with.

Railfan websites for some reason seem to try and lure in as many people as they can and then discourage their being drawn to other websites.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post

They won't let you link to any other site that they view as competition for link backs. It is interesting though, I don't notice that type of policy on other hobbyist oriented websites that I've dealt with.

Railfan websites for some reason seem to try and lure in as many people as they can and then discourage their being drawn to other websites.
Hey, dont know if you are aware of this or not: http://nightstalkerphotoworks.com/blog/sean-hoyden/

Quote:
Hacked by BulkaHackers , Albanian Hacker
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
So you are linking your flickr shots to railpictures or vice versa? Or you have a link on your flickr page to your railpictures collection?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Unless you are using RP's bandwidth somehow by hotlinking photos elsewhere, I dont know why they would care... but I dont understand what you are trying to accomplish.
All my rp shots had a link saying if you want to see more of my shots, go to flickr. I.e. I have 396 shots on rp, but nearly 6,000 on flickr. I'm giving people who see my rp shots a chance to see my 'not acceptable on rp' type of shots. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't believe this is anything new. I thought we were told about this before. NS, of course, is an exception.

On the other hand, I know what the URL for Flickr. is.
Like I said in my OP, yes, this is past policy, definitely not new, I'm just letting everyone know that this policy is now being enforced very rigidly.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
NorthWest

I went to test outside links on the profiles of various photographers, and some of them had the odd broken half-RP url. Several others simply didn't work, and gave a "RP Page Not Found" message.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Hey, dont know if you are aware of this or not: http://nightstalkerphotoworks.com/blog/sean-hoyden/
Yeah, that's why most of my stuff is on FLICKR now.

The guy who does the design on my site is too slow to respond, so I fired his ass.

Although now that I've finished my degree (this past weekend) I may have a little more time and interest in trying to resurrect NSPW.

The thing is, I really enjoy writing the narratives and explanations of how I set up my night shots; maybe as much as I do executing them. FLICKR doesn't give me that venue, but I'm exploring options to continue doing so.

Last edited by hoydie17; 06-08-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
All my rp shots had a link saying if you want to see more of my shots, go to flickr. I.e. I have 396 shots on rp, but nearly 6,000 on flickr. I'm giving people who see my rp shots a chance to see my 'not acceptable on rp' type of shots. Nothing more, nothing less.
Oh, ok, I see. So they removed the link to your flickr photostream you had linked in your photos caption?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Mberry

Quote:
Oh, ok, I see. So they removed the link to your flickr photostream you had linked in your photos caption?
They set it up so that the link does not work basically.

It shows up as http://www.railpictures.net/photos/mtlwestrailfan/, which is the rp domain and my flickr handle mashed together.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Mgoldman

The linking issue you state might just be a quirk with the system - other links still work - both back to the site as well as off site (fortunately). Hopefully, this is not a detrimental decision by admin specific to FLCKR.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 373544
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Quote:

They won't let you link to any other site that they view as competition for link backs.
From TO's:

People tend to use the forums to push traffic to their Youtube, Railpicture, etc channel. Trainorders was not intended to be used a self promotional tool.

These other web sites make their revenue through advertising. The pictures sites bombard you with flashy ads, while Youtube will display video advertisements. Trainorders is an ad free environment and I intend to keep it that way.

Links to sites other then RP and YouTube are still allowed and occur often.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 06-09-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #17
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
The linking issue you state might just be a quirk with the system - other links still work - either back to the site as well as off site (fortunately). Hopefully, this is not a detrimental decision by admin specific to FLCKR. T
To be seen - a reply from an admin would of course be helpful. I thought the problem was at my end and I kept trying to fix the code, but the problem is rp blocking it. I actually found out that my link didn't work because I got an rp.net members contact email today telling me that a link on a shot I uploaded today was dead.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #18
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
The linking issue you state might just be a quirk with the system - other links still work - both back to the site as well as off site (fortunately). Hopefully, this is not a detrimental decision by admin specific to FLCKR.

Image © Mitch Goldman

From TO's:

People tend to use the forums to push traffic to their Youtube, Railpicture, etc channel. Trainorders was not intended to be used a self promotional tool.

These other web sites make their revenue through advertising. The pictures sites bombard you with flashy ads, while Youtube will display video advertisements. Trainorders is an ad free environment and I intend to keep it that way.

/Mitch
I enjoy how Todd says it was not intended to be a self-promotional tool. But he lets people link to their own sites, myself included... Is that not "self-promoting"?

How is that different from what RP or YouTube users are doing?

I still think it's the "get your fingers out of my pie!" Attitude.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #19
Mgoldman

Quote:
I enjoy how Todd says it was not intended to be a self-promotional tool. But he lets people link to their own sites, myself included... Is that not "self-promoting"?

How is that different from what RP or YouTube users are doing?
I think it's the difference between including a link to further understanding of a topic vs adding a link for the sole purpose of campaigning one's work.

Look here to better understand vs look here to up my views (and potentially, my profits).

Quote:
I still think it's the "get your fingers out of my pie!" Attitude.
And yet the link to your site you state IS allowed so....

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #20
MagnumForce

Quote:

Image © Mitch Goldman

From TO's:

/Mitch

It is 2014, burying your head in the sand and pretending something else doesn't exist simply sucks.

I was a member of TO since 97, I recently let my subscription lapse and have no intention of paying for it ever again. If I want shenanigans or updates on peoples cats i can go elsewhere for free. And the incessant horrible photos with people screaming GR8 SHOTS!!!!!! just drives me nuts.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 06-09-2014 at 01:58 AM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #21
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
I think it's the difference between including a link to further understanding of a topic vs adding a link for the sole purpose of campaigning one's work.

Look here to better understand vs look here to up my views (and potentially, my profits).

And yet the link to your site you state IS allowed so....

/Mitch
You'll notice that I indicated that they restrict linking to sites that could be perceived as "competition" for traffic. I'm sure Todd, nor the guys here at RP.net have any delusions that NSPW, my FLICKR page or that of any other individual could begin to compete with what they've got going.

There is nothing to fear in letting someone link to a FLICKR page or personal website that goes for RP, TO, and all the other mainstream railfan social media groups. There's only one reason a site owner would actively try to subvert a person to link to their off-site portfolios...

Eventually, there will be someone that will step up and create competition for RP.net, TrainOrders, and the others. Someone that will step up and offer the things to users/contributors that these websites are reluctant to do in the absence of said competition. We should all be looking anxiously to that day because it will mean nothing but good things for photographers.

Last edited by hoydie17; 06-09-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
It is 2014, burying your head in the sand and pretending something else doesn't exist simply sucks.

I was a member of TO since 97, I recently let my subscription lapse and have no intention of paying for it ever again. If I want shenanigans or updates on peoples cats i can go elsewhere for free.
Good for you... there's more ego there, and that's saying something

Quote:
And the incessant horrible photos with people screaming GR8 SHOTS!!!!!! just drives me nuts.
Well, to be fair, no one goes there for photos (or videos for that matter). I think that goes without saying. But the ass kissing over there when people do post shots is funny.

What turns me off is the good old boy network, and arbitrary moderation of topics and posts that goes on. I was on there in '98 or so and was banned not long after it went "pay". I dont know how/why people pay for that.

Although, some of the anti-UP steam program posts are entertaining. It's obvious that the site and it's staff have some serious axes to grind. And it's ok to throw darts at certain people/topics, but not others...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #23
MagnumForce

The Ed Dicken's stuff is incredibly comical, amazing they let it go on like they do. I woudl have banned the instigators long ago.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #24
Joe the Photog

I loved Trainorders. In 1999.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
After you had it happen the first time, why would you do it again? Just edit your comment to include the link after the photo has been accepted.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote