Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Aaron Jors

Default Recent Shots...Looking for Feedback

Looking for some feedback on a couple of recent shots on the image itself, not concerned if it is the type of image accepted here or not.

Last edited by Aaron Jors; 01-04-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Aaron Jors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I dont think that these would be accepted here lol . I like the first one the second is pretty nice. Are you going to submit them?

Last edited by Walter S; 01-04-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

As far as the second photo goes, I certainly hope that's the type of material that is accepted here. Very nice shot. As far as the images themselves go, well, the snow is white, the shadows are black, and I don't see any grain or noise issues. Color saturation is also good.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
Aaron Jors

Thanks for the quick comments guys. In the second one do you find the right headlight to be distracting? I don't think its terrible but it does bother me a little bit.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Walter S

Doesnt really bother me.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
I dont think that these would be accepted here lol j/k. I like the first one the second is pretty nice. Are you going to submit them? You better.
Walter I have yet to submit any of my images. I am a little concerned that their is no watermarking with the acception of the bar at the bottom. I am probably making a bigger deal out of it then need be but thats just the way I am.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I don't see the headlight as being any sort of distraction.

Regarding watermarks, I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. You're concerned that you need more protection for your images? Personally, I feel that watermarking is tacky and I would be just as happy without the black bar at the bottom of the shot. I've come to accept two things.

1) There will always be a handful of people who will steal my photos and do whatever with them. A watermark probably won't stop them.

2) I want the best visual presentation for my work, and I feel that some big fuzzy watermark is a horrid distraction in the image that gets in the way of the content.

It seems to me that a watermark is just an annoyance to the people that want to see the photo. I don't see any reason to punish them on the chance that it will deter a tiny number of unscrupulous people.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
JRMDC

Both have hints of being selectively colored (not allowed on RP). Or, there are some vegetation patterns with which I am unfamiliar. Especially the browns in the right third of the second shot.

The compositions are fine. The second is more interesting to me because the space on the "empty" side is filled with a more interesting secondary feature, the line poles.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Both have hints of being selectively colored (not allowed on RP). Or, there are some vegetation patterns with which I am unfamiliar. Especially the browns in the right third of the second shot.

The compositions are fine. The second is more interesting to me because the space on the "empty" side is filled with a more interesting secondary feature, the line poles.
I'm not sure what the exact definition of selective color is in terms of RP but I did add a touch of saturation (+4 in the red department) to the second image everywhere excpet the front of the train. In the first I just did a minor increase in overall saturation.

I think the effect is in part due to the majoriy of the scene being white with the exception of where the snow fell off some of the branches. I couldn't tell you exaclty what kind of vegatation it was looked kind of like a type of grass.

I process my images to the way I saw the scene and to have a natural look.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #10
Walter S

A little of topic but how do you like your smugmug pro account?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jors
I'm not sure what the exact definition of selective color is in terms of RP but I did add a touch of saturation (+4 in the red department) to the second image everywhere excpet the front of the train. In the first I just did a minor increase in overall saturation.

I think the effect is in part due to the majoriy of the scene being white with the exception of where the snow fell off some of the branches. I couldn't tell you exaclty what kind of vegatation it was looked kind of like a type of grass.

I process my images to the way I saw the scene and to have a natural look.
No problem. There are some areas that are obviously color, some that look BW because of snow and winter, and then these weird (to me) funny colored vegetation areas. Cranking up the red probably brought out some of those areas.

BTW, why did you even feel the need to up the reds? Not a criticism, just curious.

Oh, and selective color is when parts of the image are BW and parts are color. For example, sometimes one sees (not on RP) a shot that is entirely BW except for a signal light.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #12
Aaron Jors

Quote:
No problem. There are some areas that are obviously color, some that look BW because of snow and winter, and then these weird (to me) funny colored vegetation areas. Cranking up the red probably brought out some of those areas.

BTW, why did you even feel the need to up the reds? Not a criticism, just curious.

Oh, and selective color is when parts of the image are BW and parts are color. For example, sometimes one sees (not on RP) a shot that is entirely BW except for a signal light.
I added a touch of red because that's how the scene looked when I took the shot. I could have just left it but I felt it added a little extra to the image since so much was white from the snow.

I just went back and removed the hue/saturation adjustment layer and it's such a slight adjustment you can hardly tell. That part is just a different color brown/red due to the type of vegatation it is.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jors
I added a touch of red because that's how the scene looked when I took the shot. I could have just left it but I felt it added a little extra to the image since so much was white from the snow.

I just went back and removed the hue/saturation adjustment layer and it's such a slight adjustment you can hardly tell. That part is just a different color brown/red due to the type of vegatation it is.
Makes sense.

Also, I suspect part of why I responded to the color was simply that you were asking about what is accepted and I could see no other dimension to question! Nice stuff. CN red and snow, a classic combination, and some nice compositions.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
WembYard

They are nice shots, the red loco contrasts nicely with the snow.

Regarding the first shot, I would do a vertical crop of the left hand side emphasising the train and the signal, there is too much dead space on the right hand side for my taste. The second is OK as a landscape shot as the telegraph poles add interest.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Welcome to winter, J! His shots look exactly what it looks like here in Michigan right now...little to no color contrast with all the snow and dark, leafless vegetation. I guess I'm used to seeing this when I'm out shooting in the winter, so the shots didn't come across to me at all as being a product of selective color. The browns that you mention in the second picture look correct. The darker vegetation is the same type that is on the opposite side of the tracks, while the lighter is a more yellow, grassy-type vegetation. I do agree that it looks as if it the burn tool in photoshop could have been used on it, but I believe what we are seeing is exactly what Aaron saw.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I think the first one would succeed the most with a 4:5 ratio crop (portrait format). There just isn't enough interesting "stuff" on the right side of the photo to keep all that area. The second one works, even though the train is off to the left. The vegetation and code line balance out the image.

Both of these are RP standard winter shots, IMO.

Last edited by JimThias; 01-04-2008 at 01:45 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Welcome to winter, J! His shots look exactly what it looks like here in Michigan right now...little to no color contrast with all the snow and dark, leafless vegetation.
I know what winter looks like, thanks! (Aargh, I live just a wee bit too far south for regular snow, only one snowfall and 2 days of snow so far this season.) For some reason this one looked funny to me. Seriously, I think what I said before is true to some extent, I was looking at the pictures with intent to find something, just because the question was raised, and so I did, instead of just saying it's fine. Need to be more careful.

Still looks a little weird to me, some sort of illusion that kicks my particular brain cells.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I think the first one would succeed the most with a 4:5 ratio crop (portrait format). There just isn't enough interesting "stuff" on the right side of the photo to keep all that area. The second one works, even though the train is off to the left. The vegetation and code line balance out the image.
Other than the specific ratio, wasn't this said?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
I know what winter looks like, thanks!
I know, just teasin'.

Quote:
Still looks a little weird to me, some sort of illusion that kicks my particular brain cells.
Come on up here to Michigan and spend a week outside and that'll give you a healthy kick to those brain cells.

Quote:
Other than the specific ratio, wasn't this said?
Oops! Didn't read Janet's reply. Got to your second one and decided to reply before reading hers.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
WembYard

Thanks Janusz and no offence taken Jim

I would have provided a sample picture, but this computer does not have a photo editing program.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

1 I dont care for the dead spaes on the right just to much for me.
2 I like it just the way it is, the code line adds to it and is part of railroading
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote