Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Aaron Jors

Default New Here

Im new here and just wanted to introduce myselft. As my user name would suggest my name is Aaron. I know basically nothing about Trains and a fair amount about photography. Recently I have found Trains to be a fun subject to photography so here I am.

Some of my Train photos and others can be found at my website www.aaroncjors.smugmug.com
Aaron Jors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Welcome Aboard!

I myself know very little about trains, and less about photography!

they let me hang around though, out of pity I suppose

I checked out some of your work on the link you posted, very nice indeed!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Hi Aaron. Welcome!

I've just taken a brief look at your photogallery (at work, at the moment, so time is limited), and I especially like the landscape pics. When I get home, I'm going to have to take a proper look.

Hope to see your railway gallery increase, too!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Welcome to the "clubhouse" Aaron, sure you'll get your fill of knowledge from the crowd here. Give it a few months and you'll know all you ever need to know about railfans, trains and how photography relates to them both.

Nice photos BTW, and I'm not just talking about the train stuff.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
JimThias

Your gallery looks great, Aaron. Your landscape shots are superb and the waterfall shots look exactly how they are supposed to look. No sunshine and great saturation and perfect exposure. Excellent!

I think you'll find railroad photography, in terms of stuff being submitted on rp, is a just a tad different from what you have in your gallery. Most important is lighting, as rp tends to go more for the best lighting possible, meaning sunshine with front lit shots, and backlit shots for the most part being a no no. Cloudy day shots work from time to time, but require a much more interesting subject and/or composition. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you have to offer. If your other pictures are proof of your knowledge and "eye," I'm sure it won't be long until you're mastering railroad photography.

This was probably my favorite picture out of your landscape gallery (hard to choose, actually!):

Fantastic composition. Good to see a few shots from Michigan as well. Welcome aboard!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
Aaron Jors

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
Aaron Jors

[quote=JimThias]
I think you'll find railroad photography, in terms of stuff being submitted on rp, is a just a tad different from what you have in your gallery. Most important is lighting, as rp tends to go more for the best lighting possible, meaning sunshine with front lit shots, and backlit shots for the most part being a no no. Cloudy day shots work from time to time, but require a much more interesting subject and/or composition. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you have to offer. If your other pictures are proof of your knowledge and "eye," I'm sure it won't be long until you're mastering railroad photography.
[quote]

Jim I agree I've been reading some of the rejection shots posted and the explaintions of what rp is looking for and I have a feeling alot of mine are going to be rejected due to lighting.

I respect the screeners and there goal to make rp.net a place for only quality pictures but in my opinion it seems they are sometimes to critical with the nose of the train having to be 100% lit. Shadows are an important part of photo and often help great a sense depth to a scene. Personally if it is mid day and the sun is shining I almost never go out to take pictures due to the harsh lighting.

Also I am a little hesitant to submit pictures without having a watermark. I saw another post discussing possibly adding this feature but I don't think there was a resolution.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
randy

Welcome! I'm new, too. This is a very helpful site, even to those as skilled as you are. It's a geat community.

Randy
randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Welcome to railpictures Aaron. I though your name sounded familiar, you also post on FM. Saw some of your photo's in the " Not enough train pics" post.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
Welcome to railpictures Aaron. I though your name sounded familiar, you also post on FM. Saw some of your photo's in the " Not enough train pics" post.
Yep Walter that is me. Train shots arn't very popular over there so I thought I would go somewhere where they are.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #11
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Train shots arn't very popular over there so I thought I would go somewhere where they are

You've got that right!
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
JRMDC

Welcome, Aaron. I used to spend some time on FM but it got to be a bit of a chore, just too much to sort through.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jors

I respect the screeners and there goal to make rp.net a place for only quality pictures but in my opinion it seems they are sometimes to critical with the nose of the train having to be 100% lit. Shadows are an important part of photo and often help great a sense depth to a scene. Personally if it is mid day and the sun is shining I almost never go out to take pictures due to the harsh lighting.
Well, it certainly depends upon the time of year you're out shooting. ANY time during daylight hours now is fine. Mid-day is perfect for southbound trains. During mid-summer when the sun is directly overhead, the lighting can be a pain, but then you've got mornings, late afternoon and evenings to shoot. Also, in the winter, cloudy day shots are more acceptable if there is snow and the composition is interesting. It's not ALWAYS about the nose of the train being perfectly lit, although that is what they prefer here. You certainly don't have to limit your shooting to perfectly sunny days, but when it's not, you just have to be a little more creative.

Quote:
Also I am a little hesitant to submit pictures without having a watermark. I saw another post discussing possibly adding this feature but I don't think there was a resolution.
That, I can't help you with. There are dozens and dozens of top photographers here with hundreds of photos that aren't watermarked. If they aren't going to worry about it, neither am I.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote