Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
jdirelan87

Default First Thread; Highest Concentration of Shortlines?

Figured this would be good for a first thread. Which city has the highest concentration of shortlines? If had to make an educated guess, I would say Chicago. I think Pittsburgh has to be up there; there are nine short lines within 35 miles of PGH (and only one of those is a goofy terminal job that never comes out).

Incase anybody is wondering the nine are (report markings are easiest);
POHC, PAM, BPRR, BLE, URR, AVR, SWP, WLE, TCKR

Last edited by jdirelan87; 07-13-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
ssw9662

I'm sure Chicago is probably number 1 in terms of cities with the most shortlines, but state-wise Pennsylvania is obviously the leader in shortlines. The greater Lehigh Valley area could give Pittsburgh a run for its money.

Reading & Northern (serves Lehighton for NS interchange):
Image © Arthur James
PhotoID: 284772
Photograph © Arthur James

Delaware-Lackawanna (operates down to Slateford, PA for interchange with NS):
Image © Nicholas Marakovits
PhotoID: 284976
Photograph © Nicholas Marakovits

RJ Corman (operates a short piece of the former LV in Allentown):
Image © Brian Szczepanski
PhotoID: 175593
Photograph © Brian Szczepanski

Philadelphia, Bethlehem & New England (former steel mill railroad, now used to haul intermodal and freight for NS and CP):
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Belvidere & Delaware River Railroad (operates small lines in Easton and Phillipsburg, NJ, the latter of which also sees steam excursions):
Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 260787
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

The East Penn Railway also has three ex-Reading branch lines nearby:
Bethlehem Branch (connects with CSX at Telford and extends north for several miles)
Image © Dale Woodland
PhotoID: 175305
Photograph © Dale Woodland

Perkiomen Branch (operates from the NS interchange at Emmaus to East Greenville to serve a customer or two).
Image © Dale Woodland
PhotoID: 165170
Photograph © Dale Woodland

Kutztown Branch (operates from Kutztown to Topton), since the date of this photo the line has become freight only.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

There are also two industry/switching shortlines (Chestnut Ridge and NDC Railroad) but neither one is pictured on RP.

For all PA's shortcomings (bad weather, poor scenery in many places, etc.) the state certainly makes up for it with shortlines. I'd shoot one train on a shortline or regional over five on a Class I any day of the week.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 07-13-2009 at 09:23 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I take exception to you excluding my company!! We own 6 railroads in the state!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

Pennsylvania does have the largest number of shortlines as a state. Chicago undoubtedly is shortline heaven, especially if you add in the numerous industrials around the metro area. A couple of others to keep in mind during your travels that might not be very obvious, but can net a very successful day (half a dozen or more) just driving through a geographic area:

East central North Carolina-- head south in a general line out of Raleigh toward Hamlet and you can hit the Atlantic & Western, Aberdeen Carolina & Western, Aberdeen & Rockfish, Laurinburg Southern, and Pee Dee River. Put in a little more range and you've got the Carolina Coastal at Wilson and South Carolina Central at Cheraw.

Central California-- loads of shortlines down the San Joaqin Valley. Head south out of Sacramento and you get the Sacramento Valley, Cal Northern, Sierra Northern, Central California Traction, Stockton Terminal & Eastern, and Modesto & Empire Traction. Expand your range a bit and the possibilities at least double.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

There are no shortlines within 45+ miles of where I live in Columbia, SC --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And the three nearest are in completly different directions from one another and you pretty much hit the end/start of the line where power might be miles away.

Bad news for a shortline fan such as myself.

Gerogia has a nice concentration of shortlines, too.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Peoria, IL actually has quite a few as well. Let's see, there's the Tazewell and Peoria; Toledo, Peoria, and Western; Illinois Midland, Central Illinois Railroad; Iowa Interstate (technically a regional, but whatever); Peoria and Western, and Pioneer Industrial Railway.

Let's see, as for Chicago, we have...Central Illinois Railroad; Chicago Rail Link; Chicago Terminal; Indiana Harbor Belt; Belt Railway Company; (until recently) Elgin, Joliet, and Eastern, (recently) Gary Railway, etc.

Here's a somewhat complete list:
Shortlines of Chicago Historical Society

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
nikos1

As Joe said, Georgia has a pretty nice amount too. Here in northeast Georgia we have the Hartwell Railroad, Great Walton railroad (two branches), Athens Line railroad, Squaw Creek Southern and the Georgia Woodlands. To the west of Atlanta there is the Georgia Northeastern and the Fulton County railroad. In middle and south Georgia there is the Georgia Central, Georgia Southwestern, the Heart of Georgia, Chathahoochee Industrial, the Golden Isles terminal, the St. Marys railroad and the First Coast RR.

My little gallery
Image © Nikos Kavoori
PhotoID: 258373
Photograph © Nikos Kavoori

Image © Nikos Kavoori
PhotoID: 252391
Photograph © Nikos Kavoori

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
TAMR159

We've got more than a few up here - Falls Road Railroad; Depew Lancaster & Western; Rochester & Southern; Ontario Midland; Livonia Avon & Lakeville; Buffalo Southern; Arcade & Attica; South Buffalo; Finger Lakes Railway; Western New York & Pennsylvania; Bath & Hammondsport; New York & Lake Erie; New York Susquehanna & Western; Buffalo & Pittsburgh...a majority of these are all-ALCO (or close to it) lines as well...oh how I love living in Western New York. All of the roads above are within about a 100 mile radius of Rochester (easy for a day trip). And that's not even touching on what's across the border in Canada...

Last edited by TAMR159; 07-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
We've got more than a few up here - Falls Road Railroad; Depew Lancaster & Western; Rochester & Southern; Ontario Midland; Livonia Avon & Lakeville; Buffalo Southern; Arcade & Attica; South Buffalo; Finger Lakes Railway; Western New York & Pennsylvania; Bath & Hammondsport; New York & Lake Erie; New York Susquehanna & Western; Buffalo & Pittsburgh...a majority of these are all-ALCO (or close to it) lines as well...oh how I love living in Western New York. All of the roads above are within about a 100 mile radius of Rochester (easy for a day trip). And that's not even touching on what's across the border in Canada...
Wellsboro & Corning.... Sorry to hijack your post Nick!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote