Old 04-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
bigiron

Default So, how much time do you spend in post processing?

Hi members,

Going through and reading some of the forum threads I've been wondering just how long you actually figure you spend for time on the average for the process of post processing your shots before submitting them? It's funny I ask this question but I'm not sure just how long it takes me as I need to do a few and time myself .

Maybe some of the results will be a eye opener as to the actual time people tinker and operate on their photos before releasing them into the world . You can take into account the extra time to reprocess upon getting a "rejection notice" too .

The beauty of digital is you can take countless photos so quickly, but then when it comes time to download/upload, post process, catalog and identify each one the work begins. As you scan your photos you realize the flaws of branches in the way, lack of light, and any other mistakes you may have made in judgement in trying to get that ideal shot just fuel the madness to want to go out and try it again while your family scratches their head in amazement .

Thanks for you thoughts, Rich

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...p?userid=11379
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
JimThias

It depends on a lot of factors, but I'd say anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes is possible. If I had to give an average...I'd say maybe 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how many dust spots I have to clone out.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Now that I need to edit my photos for three different locations it takes a bit longer than it used to although I got much better/faster at the normal steps like Levels and USM.

I open the photo which takes about 2 minutes on my slow --- computer. I do all the necessary adjustments which takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Save at the highest resolution. Resize to RP standards, save again. Resize to AB2Photo standards, cut, open new, make border, paste, type info, and finally, save as for web.

All-in-all anywhere from 15 to 30 mins per shot depending on how close I got when I took it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
alan-crotty

Default How Long ?

I open my raw files using 'capture one' software, takes about 1 min, levels crop sharpen in PS 2-3 mins, save as full size tif. Then resize for RP 1 min.

So the answer is about 3 to 5 mins

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
wirailfan

Actual digital workflow time (RAW - TIFF - JPEG) per image is 5 - 10 minutes on average, longer if an image takes a little more tinkering to get it "just right". The longer process is sorting through the days captures to determine the keepers and tossers, copying them to an external drive, renaming and numbering, then duplicationg to a second external drive.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Generally takes me around 10 minutes per shot

I use 3 different programs during the process (IrFanview, Zoombrowser EX, and Noise Ninja).

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Bill

I have a 3-minute rule.
If a shot takes me longer than 3-minutes to make it looks nice, I should have shot it better in the field & it gets scrapped.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
It depends on a lot of factors, but I'd say anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes is possible. If I had to give an average...I'd say maybe 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how many dust spots I have to clone out.
This seems to be about my norm too.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool It all depends......

As somebody else noted, it all depends on the picture.

The quick ones are maybe 10-15 minutes. Open up, crop, clone out a few dust spots, hit auto everything, fiddle with the histogram, look, say wow I'm was lucky on this one, sharpen, save as as a file print, convert and resize for RP, sharpen, and save....maybe 15-20 minutes. But that's a picture that was about perfect to start with. And few are.

There are probably some pix that I have spent hours on. Photoshop provides sooooooo many options. And even once a picture is posted at RP, I have been know to go back and fiddle some more and resubmit.

And then there are the early ones that were done when my skills were even more primitive than now. Sometimes I rescan a slide and start all over.

I have no idea what an average might be, since in many cases it is done in many increments over days. And I usually like to let an image "season" for several days before I post it.

But since few pictures are perfect out of the camera, digital or film, post processing, just like my old dark room days, is a key to really good images.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
ssw9662

I find that the editing process takes about 2-5 minutes per photo for me. I rarely do any serious editing in Photoshop; an average photo will receive resizing, rotation, sharpening, and some slight color correction if I feel that the colors are off. I will do a B&W conversion if I feel that it suits the photo well. Sometimes I will use the shadows/highlights tool to brighten up the train during cloudy/backlit conditions, but this is only done as a last resort.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I have a 3-minute rule.
If a shot takes me longer than 3-minutes to make it looks nice, I should have shot it better in the field & it gets scrapped.
I love your attitude Bill. And you have some great shots on this site.
If mine take longer than 5-10 minutes they usually get relegated to personal files.
I'm not enough of a PS wizard to make lemonade from a lemon

I keep prints of my duds for reference in the "I can do better than this" file. It helps when planning other shots.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
WembYard

Same as Bill and Jim up to a point, if I have to spend more than 5 minutes on fiddling with something straight from the camera (RAW file) then it is almost certainly not worth putting on here. The exceptions are night shots (I am often undecided when it comes to colour correction as to what looks right / natural) or scanned slides (take a fair time to scan and often need quite a lot of processing to look good).
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Bill

Thanks guys. I noticed a few years ago that digital had made me lazy. Instead of carefully setting up each shot, I was just snapping away with the intention of 'fixing' it in Photoshop. I've since gotten back to careful manipulation of the camera settings to get the shot I want.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
a231pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Thanks guys. I noticed a few years ago that digital had made me lazy. Instead of carefully setting up each shot, I was just snapping away with the intention of 'fixing' it in Photoshop. I've since gotten back to careful manipulation of the camera settings to get the shot I want.
I'm glad to hear someone else confess to going through the "I'll fix it in post" phase. BTW, that's a standard joke among video pro's. I'm trying to get back to making sure that I do it right in camera too.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote