Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Default Recommended Photo Processing Program

I am preparing to order some photo equipment and was thinking about buying a new program to edit photos. I currently get decent enough results using multiple programs, but looking at others photos, they just seem to look slightly better even when they use the same camera equipment as I do. Since I can't imagine that there would be much variation of the image straight out of the camera, the only thing I can think of is that their editing programs are superior to mine, and they are good at using them.

I currently use a combination of 3 programs when preparing my photos to be posted online.

Canons Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW image into either jpgs or tiffs. I do some editting in here, but don't find the results good enough to depend wholly on this program.

HP Image Zone which came with my printer, and from which I get good results. Pretty basic overall, but does allow minor rotations of photos.

The freeware version of NeatImage which I use for those rare instances that I need to perform noise reduction.

I would like a program which rolls all of those into one program, as it is laborious to switch between the three programs. Overall, I'd want it to be able to:

Process RAW files
Rotate images by small degrees
Remove Noise
Correct distortion
Decent color correction capabilities.
Be reasonably affordable

Can anyone recommend a program? Would Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 do all of this?

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
alan-crotty

Default Elements 6 ?

Hi Ken,

Elements 6 should manage this except the noise reduction.

You could try Noise Ninja or Noiseware for noise reduction.

Elements 6 also incorporates are nice cataloging facility.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-crotty
Hi Ken,

Elements 6 should manage this except the noise reduction.

You could try Noise Ninja or Noiseware for noise reduction.

Elements 6 also incorporates are nice cataloging facility.

Alan
What is wrong with PSE 6 for noise reduction? It works just fine in PSE 3.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
alan-crotty

Default Noise Reduction

Hi Janusz,

I don't have PSE6 as I use CS3, however I'm sure the NR in both programmes is very similar.

I have tried the NR in PS, but find it is not as good at retaining detail as Noisewear by Imageanomic. A close second to Noisewear is Noise Ninja.

Both of these can work as a plug in for PS, but do require careful handling or the shot can go "splodgy".

The two plugins analyse each shot and apply noise reduction 'intelligently', where as the inbuilt Adobe NR seems have a bit more of a 'scattergun' approach.

Both Noise Ninja and Noiseware are available as a free trial, I think they both have a more limited free 'community' version as well, but this only works with jpgs.

Of course it's best not to have to use NR at all! But that's not always possible as in poor weather here in the UK, which is most of the time we often have to resort to 1600ISO if we want to use a high shutter speed.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
JRMDC

No problem, Alan. But Ken did ask for an all-in-one solution and I just wanted it to be clear that PSE6 is one. Third-party noise reduction may perform better but is not essential.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like PSE 6.0 will work for me. I think I'll download the free trial and see how that suits me.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I guess im a noob at photo processing programs i have cs3 elements 6 dont really like either what i really like and the one i find the easiest to use is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom i love it and get great results, the spot remover is a little easier to use if you get a lot of dust on your pics. it also has noise reduction which removes all noise Chroma and Luma with out your pic coming out looking too smooth which i find is something that plauges noise ninja or at least the version i have anyway. The leveling tool and cropping tool is also a dream to use you can also close out the menus with a little arrow tab if you want a better view of the photo and its all on a black background with i find with bright colors seems to work well. Hope this was of some help

Wayne.

my pictures at rrpicture archives
http://watain.rrpicturearchives.net/

my own website(underconstruction)

http://virginiarailphotos.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Watain; 04-14-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Highland Railway

It might be a bit amature for you but I use Photofiltre - http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm. It is a free program but it does everything I need.
Highland Railway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Cumbres

So, has anyone used GIMP? This is a public domain program that does most if not all that Photoshop does.

http://www.gimp.org/
Cumbres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

FYI, NeatImage has a free photoshop plugin that works pretty good, only problem is that the max filesize is 1024x1024, but that shouldnt be a problem for RP.net shots!
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
willie6622

I use Elements 4.0 and love the speed I can process images in. It usually only takes me 4 or 5 minutes to be completely finished with an image and that includes converting it from RAW.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Rich K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbres
So, has anyone used GIMP?
I downloaded GIMP not too long ago and have used it on several occasions. It is pretty well featured, and there are a lot of freeware plugins/addons available for GIMP as well.

I was normally using Elements 5.0 and still do for the most part, but I wanted to try GIMP primarily for black and white conversion.

All in all I like it, and I've read that there is a version of GIMP out there that makes it look and feel more like Photoshop.

This was converted and processed with GIMP . . . .

Image © Rich Kaminsky
PhotoID: 233807
Photograph © Rich Kaminsky

There's a bit of a learning curve and the documentation is somewhat lacking, but it's free!

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbres
So, has anyone used GIMP? This is a public domain program that does most if not all that Photoshop does.

http://www.gimp.org/
I use it and get good results.

The only downside is that it can't handle RAW files, which is what I shoot in (unless there's a plugin that I missed somewhere).

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

I have been using Apple's Aperture program and I'm a big fan. Aperture and Lightroom do the same thing and are really two apps in one.
1. Photo management. Organize your entire collection, no matter how many, with swift retrieval.
2. Photo manipulation. Particularly what we are talking about here. Aperture has noise reduction that is good. Or you can add a plug-in easily if you have a third party favorite. All the other needs, RAW conversion, exposure, levels, sharpening, etc are in a logical descending menu.
I now have my two most important post-photography needs taken care of, right here on my desktop.
Sure beats the hell out of shoeboxes and darkrooms when you haven't space for either!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Englt542

Send a message via AIM to Englt542 Send a message via Yahoo to Englt542

What about Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo X2, does anyone use it and how do you like it, I’d get Photoshop but, I just cant see spending 600+ dollars on something I’m not going to just that often
Englt542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
wirailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englt542
What about Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo X2, does anyone use it and how do you like it, I’d get Photoshop but, I just cant see spending 600+ dollars on something I’m not going to just that often
Then spend $99 on the latest PS Elements software vs. PS CS3. It'll do what you need without all the unused extras.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #17
JRMDC

I have read that Paint Shot Pro is a very good alternative to PS, and for the money you get more than PS Elements offers, at the cost of not being PS compatible (which is useful in terms of getting help from other people and in terms of plug in type stuff you may want to add).

As far as Lightroom and Aperture, they sound really interesting and I will give them a close look down the road (basically, when my current PS3 does not support whatever body I eventually upgrade to), but for the record, PS Elements includes a photo management component. Don't recall what it is called. I like the Canon ZoomBrowser that came with my camera so I've never bothered to look at the organizer that came with PSE.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots