Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
bigbassloyd

Default Processing RAW files

Due to a post on here recently, I downloaded Raw Therapee in an attempt to beging shooting RAW with my S3IS.

I've taken a couple test shots, and spent some time fiddling around, and you really can save a shot, and completely change alot of things with RAW. I'm just curious how you professional RAW shootists go about processing your files. Please don't spare me any juicy details

With RAW Therapee I can adjust the following items

White Balance
Exposure
Highlight Recovery
Channel Mixer
Shadows / Highlights
Sharpening
Color Boost
Color Shift
Luminence Curve
Luminence Noise Reduction
Color Noise Reduction
Distortion
C/A Correction
Vignetting Correction

I few I understand, and most I do not

Thanks!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
JRMDC

A lot of the stuff you mention is not limited to raw, it is just processing. I don't know which are better off done at raw conversion and which later.

For me, when doing raw conversion - In PS Elements (PSE), one opens the file, chooses a bunch of settings in what is called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), then it processes and opens the image in the regular part of PSE.

I just do a few things in ACR. I choose my white balance, sometimes the original, sometimes Auto, sometimes custom. If I have blown highlights I change Exposure and sometimes Brightness to fix the arrangement across the histogram. Otherwise I accept the defaults and convert.

All the stuff in your list other than White Balance I deal with in the regular part of PSE.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I use the software included with my Rebel XT (Digital Photo Professional) as the first step in processing my shots. I'll use it to change the white balance setting (assuming I forgot to set it while I was shooting), bump up the sharpness a notch or two, a adjust brightness to compensate for my amateurish ability to get proper exposure. Once I've done all of that, it gets exported to a TIF and opened in Paint Shop Pro 9, where I make any necessary adjustments related to color, cropping, rotation, etc.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Wizzo

I'm glad my post about Rawtherapee has been of some use.

I have yet to play around with it much, but its more comprehensive than S7RAW which I used for RAW shots from my Fuji S9500 and far more comprehensive than DPP which I use for my new Canon 40D.

When working with RAW images (with S7RAW and DPP) I usually limit myself to setting the exposure and the white balance before saving as a TIFF and moving onto Photoshop. With Rawtherapee I can see much more work being done on the RAW image - I can recommend downloading the documentation, it explains what all the settings control and basically how to use them.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote