Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Amtrak7

Default Equalize Function

By using the Auto Contrast & Auto Color in Photoshop, some train photos turn out well. (but not to RP quality)

For my personal photos, I use the 'Equalize' function. What does it do?
Sometimes, the result can be nasty, as seen in the attached picture. (the section was pure black originally)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eqs.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	2843  
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
alan-crotty

Default Equalise

The Equalize command redistributes the brightness values of the pixels in an image so that they more evenly represent the entire range of brightness levels. When you apply this command, Photoshop finds the brightest and darkest values in the composite image and remaps them so that the brightest value represents white and the darkest value represents black. Photoshop then attempts to equalize the brightness--that is, to distribute the intermediate pixel values evenly throughout the grayscale.

You might use the Equalize command when a scanned image appears darker than the original and you want to balance the values to produce a lighter image. Using Equalize together with the Histogram command lets you see before-and-after brightness comparisons.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrak7
By using the Auto Contrast & Auto Color in Photoshop, some train photos turn out well. (but not to RP quality)
Can you elaborate on this? I use Auto Contrast and Auto Levels on every photo that I process (but not auto color...just don't care for that one). I also fade each effect to my liking, usually backing each on down to about 25-50%.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Amtrak7

They get rejected. If they are rejected for any reason other than PIQ, I edit and resubmit them. They get rejected again, for PIQ alone.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrak7
They get rejected. If they are rejected for any reason other than PIQ, I edit and resubmit them. They get rejected again, for PIQ alone.
I'm still unclear on the point you were making. If YOU use Auto Color and Auto Contrast when editing a picture, sometimes they aren't up to RP quality? Are you suggesting that using those two features directly results in a rejected photo?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Amtrak7

No, I don't. I just mean that is usually what happens to my photos by coincidence.