Old 02-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
bnsf sammy

Question Underexposed reject.

Hi everyone,
My photo was rejected for being underexposed, so I lightened the photo to help correct the problem. Dispite 4 rounds of trying to light the photo, it continues to get rejected for the underexposed. So my question is lighting the photo in a photo editing software going to correct the underexposure?
Thanks for any help.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=341427
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=341347
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=341340
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=341320
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Ween

From my end, it looks more like an image quality thing that anything else; there's alot of noise on the underside and side of the overpass. As for the exposure part, not sure if it's the same thing, but the truck of the unit in the foreground blends into the black of the shadow...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
EdM

either my judgement is horrible.... or......
hey, maybe you have bad breath? I think it is a great shot, but I only looked at the last one... something must be missing, but damned if I can figure out what.. Given the lighting, that is a very very difficult shot, maybe they only want the easy ones....
Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

That shot just doesn't do it for me, it just seems to miss that certain something that would turn it into a standout shot.

I don't think you could have picked a more difficult shot to take exposure wise. The thing that really hurts this shot in my opinion is the blown out sky. in fact it is so blown out on the first couple that you can't even see the streetlight on the road overpass. The reason for this is that you were shooting to expose the trains correctly. This is a real catch 22 situation. Here, I just don't think there is any way to win that battle between having both the trains and sky acceptably exposed.

However, I do think it is good that you at least attempted something different. live and learn, you never know what could be a gold mine of a shot.

Last edited by ken45; 02-24-2007 at 01:22 AM.
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
JRMDC

This one looks to me like a good application of shadows/highlights, if you have something like that in your software. To me, the more recent versions are blowing out the sky and the side/top of the distant train without solving the problem of the dark areas under the bridge and in the truck of the foreground engine. So it is getting worse, in my opinion. I would bring up the shadows instead of just making it brighter.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

I tend to agree with Ken. It's a tough shot to pull off and in this case, I just don't think the shot pops out for all of teh reasons he listed as well as the fence in front of the train furthest away. The point of this shot seems to be that train. Your eyes are pulled that way, but then there's thefence in the way. You've got a lot of awesome images on RP; I think I'd let this one go.

Joe
Old 02-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
bnsf sammy

Thanks for the help guys! I was just trying something new. I find that this is a very hard spot to shoot photos from. The station area is in a large trench which is covered in shadow while the sky is a clear blue. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
Fotaugrafee, Ink.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
The thing that really hurts this shot in my opinion is the blown out sky. in fact it is so blown out on the first couple that you can't even see the streetlight on the road overpass.
+1

It's the only thing I really paid much notice to.
Fotaugrafee, Ink. is offline   Reply With Quote