Old 02-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
AZdude

Default The Dreaded Front Coupled Loco Shot

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to bite the hand that posts our photos but it frustrates me that RP is so strict about not posting front coupled locos. I'm sure all of us that railfans have come upon consist that contains a rare locomotive but unfortunately it was not the lead unit. Can someone tell me why these photos are so taboo?
AZdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Frederick

I think they are looked down upon because they are not very aesthetically pleasing. The cropping in them is usually tight and is cut off abruptly at the edges. Your chances may improve if you try a side shot or something of the sort, just with the lead engine in it.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdude
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to bite the hand that posts our photos but it frustrates me that RP is so strict about not posting front coupled locos. I'm sure all of us that railfans have come upon consist that contains a rare locomotive but unfortunately it was not the lead unit. Can someone tell me why these photos are so taboo?
One way to think about it is that RP is not in the first instance about recording rare equipment but is about nice to great pictures. The rarity of the equipment may or may not help in a marginal case but is not the primary goal and so does not win out over a problematic shot.

Another way to think about it is that, unless the equipment is really, really, really rare, chances are someone else is going to shoot it in better circumstances and submit it, so no need to accept a marginal shot.

Of course, these are two speculations as I have no access to the inside of the heads of the screeners.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
alan-crotty

Default Successful Front Coupled Shot

Try this for a successful front coupled shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=159058

Alan

Last edited by alan-crotty; 02-25-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: link
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Fotaugrafee, Ink.
Banned

As a member of WGRF (World's Greatest Roster Foamers - well, not really), this is a publication taboo for shooting a roster of ANY locomotive. As a trader of MANY locomotive roster slides in any of the past 5 years, I don't generally trade front-coupled units. As a matter of fact, I don't even bother shooting slides "for trade" in such positions unless they have some worth to them.

Reason? Because to shoot 12 frames on an individual unit will only benefit those foamers who purchase them on eBay. I'll take one for me, and maybe 2-3 others for those I trade with who I know won't return them. Most of my trade partners will not take a front-coupled unit, unless it's one that is extremely hard to get access to (such as something that calls a chemical plant "home").

Keep in mind that even a 3/4 or broadside roster is loosing value in the plow area. A "roster shot" is a profile that includes all vestiges of the side & front view, including the A&R hoses, drawbar, plow & MU detail. To cut out those aesthetics for the sake of shooting a "choo choo pikchur" doesn't make the photo necessarily worthwhile.

This isn't a news site, as has been discussed in the past quite often. So "rare" isn't an issue until the unit is in a scrap yard & part of my Schick cartridge. Dare I ask, where is the photo you submitted? That helps alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdude
Alan C's example of the panned steamer shot is 1) not a roster shot (because the tender is cut out of it), and 2) well-cropped, because it doesn't show the unit coupled (up front). The "knuckle-to-knuckle" point of view is nice, but still not trade worthy, IMO. I can't think of too many engines that I'm so hard up to collect where I'd except a less than perfect 3/4 rostershot.

Last edited by Fotaugrafee, Ink.; 02-26-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Fotaugrafee, Ink. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
AZdude

Thanks guys for all your input. Your takes on my subject was enlightening and informative. I guess we all have different ideas what makes a photo and what doesn't. I believe this site is more than just about great photos. I feel photos of "rare" power is one of the things that makes this site great.
AZdude is offline   Reply With Quote