Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
wheelnrail

Default PEQ of 1890's Equipment?

The photo in question is the interior of a one of a kind 1890's era passenger coach used by the Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway. I could go in detail, but the question is, should I bother with putting it up again? appeal it?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...89&key=5761811

Thanks!

For ok videos click here
Or for my Flickr click here
Or if you prefer Railpixs, click here
wheelnrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'd let it go myself. Aside from the historic value of the car, the photograph of the car leaves a lot to be desired. Railpictures still strives to be about good photography of railroad scenes. The only thing this scene has going for it is the car itself and that's not what RP typically is about.

Now if you'd got more creative or, better yet, got people riding it or got the outside of the car, then we could talk.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 01-14-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Mgoldman

That flexibility and extra tolerance extends to old pictures, not necessarily pictures of old things.

Still - That is the only photo of the interior of that car, and more important, of any car from that well known line so.... IF RP was all about the BEST railroad photos on the 'Net, that would seem legit as you can likely get a better image - better lighting, people in the car, a steam engine caught working through the door, ect. But to your point and the frustration of many, quite a number of images documenting a line, a piece of equipment or an event (think wrecks, roster shots under over passes with graffiti, poop and notes) get in somewhat nullifying the rejection reason.

RP should decide if it really wants to be 'Best railroad photos on the 'Net" or "Best database on the 'Net". As it is, it flip flops between the two. Maybe it's time to set up a sister site, or two. Or create an independent category which viewers can tune out.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
jnohallman

This may have been one of those cases where a compelling caption might have helped the chances of the image getting in. While I'm aware that the Manitou & Pike's Peak doesn't run steam on a regular basis, there is nothing about this photo that tells me I'm looking at something particularly unusual. A caption would help with that . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
loomus78

I kinda like the scene, light and color.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd let it go myself. Aside from the historic value of the car, the photograph of the car leaves a lot to be desired. Railpictures still strives to be about good photography of railroad scenes. The only thing this scene has going for it is the car itself and that's not what RP typically is about.
Well..... RP does occasionally accept photos from inside passenger rail equipment, including ones that don't include any passengers.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 409565
Photograph © Kevin Madore

That one was not only accepted on the first go, but it grabbed a few views as well. I've seen other such photos. The Cog Railway Coach is admittedly more spartan inside than the McKeen Car, but the rarity and the historic value is still there. I think it should be allowed. I agree with the posters that say it needs a more compelling caption.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
This may have been one of those cases where a compelling caption might have helped the chances of the image getting in. While I'm aware that the Manitou & Pike's Peak doesn't run steam on a regular basis, there is nothing about this photo that tells me I'm looking at something particularly unusual. A caption would help with that . . .

Jon
You read my mind J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnrail View Post
The photo in question is the interior of a one of a kind 1890's era passenger coach used by the Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway.
If you had put that quote in the caption instead, it may of had a better chance
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Well..... RP does occasionally accept photos from inside passenger rail equipment, including ones that don't include any passengers.

Image © Kevin Madore

That one was not only accepted on the first go, but it grabbed a few views as well. I've seen other such photos. The Cog Railway Coach is admittedly more spartan inside than the McKeen Car, but the rarity and the historic value is still there. I think it should be allowed. I agree with the posters that say it needs a more compelling caption.
That's an awesome pic, and the OP's rejection needs help before it has a chance of being accepted. It's unlevel and has some unappealing distortion issues. One thing that I think is important with a shot like this is to go for a symmetrical feel. The OP's shot feels a little awkward in that regard.

Last edited by JimThias; 01-15-2013 at 12:47 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That's an awesome pic, and the OP's rejection needs help before it has a chance of being accepted. It's unlevel and the sides don't line up well. One thing that I think is important with a shot like this is to go for a symmetrical feel. The OP's shot feels a little awkward in that regard.
Well put Jim. Basically took the words right out of my mouth.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:

Image © Kevin Madore
There's a huge difference between your shot and the OP's shot and I don't believe I ever said that RP doesn't accept shots like yours or his. His shot has a lot going against it that I don't think he can fight against. First, he shot his portrait style which adds a lot of uninteresting nothingness up top. I also kept mentioning that the only thing of interest is his shot is the car itselt, but ironically, the car itself isn't that interesting. Lots to look at in your shot, Kevin, whereas there is almost nothing to look at in his shot
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Image © Kevin Madore
There's a huge difference between your shot and the OP's shot and I don't believe I ever said that RP doesn't accept shots like yours or his. His shot has a lot going against it that I don't think he can fight against. First, he shot his portrait style which adds a lot of uninteresting nothingness up top. I also kept mentioning that the only thing of interest is his shot is the car itselt, but ironically, the car itself isn't that interesting. Lots to look at in your shot, Kevin, whereas there is almost nothing to look at in his shot.

The OP has a terrific shot of the car and a steam engine taken from the outside in B&W that is in the database.