Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Frederick

Default Help Please

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=268758

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=268752

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=268747

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=268729

All of these were rejected for overexposed. How much darker do they need to be, exactly? In what parts?

Thanks.

By the way:

Image © Frederick W.
PhotoID: 151588
Photograph © Frederick W.

Image © Frederick W.
PhotoID: 151554

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 07-17-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

The skies are blown out in all of them. In two of the shots, it turns the sky that odd greenish blue, but in the others, the sky is totally washed out. Aside from possibly turning them blackand white, I'm not sure they'll make it to RP.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 07-17-2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I didn't understand it and I was the one who wrote it.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Niles

I've has shots like these rejected before. I don't think they are overexposed but rather they are suffering from the cloudy day/general power rejection. Basically your skies aren't blue enough. Read this post I made, it tells you how you can make your skies bluer. http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=3830 Really what you need to do is to make your sky darker by making the aperture smaller and using a faster shutter speed. If you using a digital camera go out and take some picture with skies in them and mess around with the settings. In order to play with the seetings you need to be on manuel mode. Hope this helps.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

1, 2 & 4 aren't the worst, but as Joe pointed out the sky is washed out. Look at where the tops of the trees meet the sky. They almost fade into it. If the photo was properly exposed the detail at the tops of the trees would be much sharper.

The third picture is beyond a shadow of a doubt, overexposed. Look at the roof on the lead unit, how it washes into the sky. That is overexposure in its essence. Has nothing to do with how blue the sky is. When done right even a cloudy day shot can make it in the database. There's plenty examples of that.

The only advice is to try again another day. With a little underexposure you can usually lighten it up a bit as most of the detail is still there. Once you overexpose you've lost detail that no real amount of darkening is going to fix.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Frederick

Just to clear up any confusion, the ones with thumbnails are accepted ones.

In 2 of these, there were no clouds at all in the sky. The other 2 had about a 50% cloud cover.

For sunny days, I always use 1/500 or 1/640th of a second. I believe the aperture was 4.5 or 5.6 for most of these. A UV filter might help, but it's a hassle cleaning both sides of the UV filter and the lens...

Flickr Account
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

I know you weren't talking about the posted photos. I was referring strictly to the rejects.

Like many things, there isn't a cookie cutter method to photography. Especially if you are shooting digital, you should take a few test shots of the location to test your lighting. If you are using a certain shutter speed and f-stop setting and its coming out overexposed, then you need to try something else. A UV filter really isn't going to help that.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
a231pacific

Your shots are over exposed, but can be saved in photo shop. In adjustmen/levels move the mid tone slider to the right until the shot looks right. Then use the magic wand to select the sky. Go to adjustments/levels and move both the shadow and midtone sliders to the right until it looks better.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

IMHO, that's still not going to help. You may have fixed the sky washout, but the light is still really harsh. I'm utilizing the train on the right as a reference for this.

Truly the best advice is to just try shooting the location again another day. I really don't unerstand why people would frustrate themselves over a less than stellar shot. Try again another day. Since he's shooting digital, there's no film to be wasted.

Last edited by VirginiaSouthern; 07-18-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
ddavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Your shots are over exposed, but can be saved in photo shop. In adjustmen/levels move the mid tone slider to the right until the shot looks right. Then use the magic wand to select the sky. Go to adjustments/levels and move both the shadow and midtone sliders to the right until it looks better.
You selected "most" of the sky, but not all of it. Look at the white spots in the trees, which now really look wierd.

I really like the reflection shot. Just darken the image until the red color on the engines looks like the red on your accepted pics.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaSouthern
I really don't unerstand why people would frustrate themselves over a less than stellar shot.
On most days, there are only 4 trains on the Detroit Lakes Sub in 24 hours.

Image © Frederick W.
PhotoID: 151627

Flickr Account
Old 07-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
Frederick

On my pacing shot of SOO 6056 I used 1/100 with an aperture of f/16. It looks more properly exposed than the others.

Thanks all for your input.

Flickr Account
Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
On most days, there are only 4 trains on the Detroit Lakes Sub in 24 hours.
I'm not trying to be a pain, but...and? You work with what you've got (if you really feel you need to have a shot of that location) or you try a different location. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by VirginiaSouthern; 07-18-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
a231pacific

Just doing it for illustration purposes. If I'm really going to slave away on a PS project, it's going to be on one of my own shots!

Actually, the sky color needed work, color saturation needed to be bumped up a bit and contrast lessened a bit as well.

As was suggested, getting the shot with lower level sun would be best, but sometimes you have to take the picture when the trains are there. Next time, I would take the photos stopped down at least 1/3 stop and probably more like 1/2 stop. Bracketing would be good.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Bracketing would be good.
That's the ticket right there. *thumbsup*
Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #15
Switched out

Smile Number 3 Photoshopped

I had a go with the third rejected photo. It is salvageable but would most likely get nuked for high sun as the shadows under the wagons are very dark. As for cropping I think it just needed to be a little tighter that's all.

Attached below for your viewing.

Cheers,

Christine,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5905murray.jpg.63366 PS.jpg (118.0 KB, 84 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #16
TA462

I guess I'm kind of lucky. CN and CP's main lines run right through the town I live in.
TA462 is offline   Reply With Quote